IU QB Dawkins Leaves IU program

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Was only a matter of time before this came out, really. We sure are thin at QB now.

We always seem to be thin at QB as far as I can remember.  Not sure the last time IU had 3 capable starters:

Roberson, Sudfield, Coffman

Sudfield, Covington, Diamont

Lagow, Diamont, Ramsey

Logow, Ramsey, Tronti

Ramsey, Penix, Taylor

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

We always seem to be thin at QB as far as I can remember.  Not sure the last time IU had 3 capable starters:

Roberson, Sudfield, Coffman

Sudfield, Covington, Diamont

Lagow, Diamont, Ramsey

Logow, Ramsey, Tronti

Ramsey, Penix, Taylor

Obviously:

Tre Roberson

Edward Wright-Baker

Dusty Keil

Three-headed monster!

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dawkins is soft. That's the reason he didn't win the competition. Ramsey is a coaches son and friggin tough kid. Hes going to have a really good year.. especially if his WR core stays healthy.. unlike last year. 

The voted Ramsey was the best leader. Not the best QB.. that wasnt voted on.

Doesnt everyone remember how down everyone was on Lagow and wanted Ramsey to start.. now they want Penix. New shiny toy syndrome my god. These guys making the decisions are about a zillion times more qualified than all of us. 

I think so much is riding on how well your running game will be. If your running game struggles, defenses will load the box and dare Ramsey to beat them with his arm. Will he be able to do that? 

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think so much is riding on how well your running game will be. If your running game struggles, defenses will load the box and dare Ramsey to beat them with his arm. Will he be able to do that? 

Well.. again.. if Hale and Westbrook are both healthy we aren't going to see a loaded box all year. You cant continuously single cover those two.. let alone Whop. Last year our depleted wr core had much more to do with our at times poor passing game then Ramseys supposed weak arm did. 

@ Dr Jones , and  DJ   The group with Roberson , Sudfeld and Coffman, was arguably. Even after Tre went out against UMass(?) with that broken leg ,  Coffman and Sudfeld were pretty good given the circumstances.

I didn't truly think of Diamont as a capable starter until maybe his last year on the team.

Never got to see enough of Austin King .Same with Tronti.  Each got a little hype on IU boards  upon committing to IU ; that's for sure.I was excited reading others' thoughts on them, but never saw enough to feel either amazed or convinced either are legit D-1 Hopes and beliefs being different and hopes didn't work out for hem in B-town .   

I do feel better about Taylor and Penix than I did about any of the above mentioned guys in their respective year as new faces prior to ever seeing any of them take a snap at IU, though. Most comfy I have felt about it in years, actually .Thanks to  Kevin Wilson,  G. Kiel and Tommy Stevens for that past discomfort.  Specifically it's why I'm not freaking out about Dawkins not working out.  Part of that is homework on Taylor.  Normally a guy moved from QB to CB to QB, who isn't even 6 foot tall and < 200lbs , as a FR backing up two other underclassmen ,would not inspire much positivity. 

Their collective mental make-up is a big part of that, and none are exactly a bum athlete or sitting duck in the pocket, either. Which goes back to what several had stated they would be fine with at IU . 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Dawkins is soft. That's the reason he didn't win the competition. Ramsey is a coaches son and friggin tough kid. Hes going to have a really good year.. especially if his WR core stays healthy.. unlike last year. 

The voted Ramsey was the best leader. Not the best QB.. that wasnt voted on.

Doesnt everyone remember how down everyone was on Lagow and wanted Ramsey to start.. now they want Penix. New shiny toy syndrome my god. These guys making the decisions are about a zillion times more qualified than all of us. 

I like Ramsey a lot. Kid is really tough! He struggled to throw past 25 yards last year. Arm strength just wasn’t there but if he has improved on that which I’m sure he has I think he could be really good. I was ok when Allen went with Ramsey Over Lagow i thought Ramsey clearly showed we where a better team when he was on the field but then he got hurt. I’m 100 percent ok with him being the starte this year. 

4 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I like Ramsey a lot. Kid is really tough! He struggled to throw past 25 yards last year. Arm strength just wasn’t there but if he has improved on that which I’m sure he has I think he could be really good. I was ok when Allen went with Ramsey Over Lagow i thought Ramsey clearly showed we where a better team when he was on the field but then he got hurt. I’m 100 percent ok with him being the starte this year. 

He has to be able to throw deep and stay healthy. He takes big hits. I disagree that they were clearly better with him on the field, but hope he's improved. Can't remember the last time IU went an entire season without needing to use their backup(s). 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

He has to be able to throw deep and stay healthy. He takes big hits. I disagree that they were clearly better with him on the field, but hope he's improved. Can't remember the last time IU went an entire season without needing to use their backup(s). 

Yup he has to stay healthy and that’s a big ? With him. I think his arm will be improved. 

https://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/high-school/2017/10/10/highlights-iu-commit-ben-davis-qb-reese-taylor/106492412/

I truly think the best man "at this time" won the starting QB job. Penix is the future, but Ramsey did what he had to do to get the nod. If I'm Ramsey and I find out, not only is Penix enrolling early, but they are bringing in a grad transfer QB from Arizona.....I may not get the starting QB job back. I think the late pick up of Dawkins really opened his eyes and lit a fire under his hind end.

I feel both  Penix and Dawkins gave him even more motivation to do all he could to stand out among those two candidates. I think any of us would do that.  In my opinion, the addition of Reese as the third QB option is better that if we had Dawkins. I just rewatched this clip again of Reese......Man, he sure looks laser fast. Reminds me of Randel El 2.0!

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Well.. again.. if Hale and Westbrook are both healthy we aren't going to see a loaded box all year. You cant continuously single cover those two.. let alone Whop. Last year our depleted wr core had much more to do with our at times poor passing game then Ramseys supposed weak arm did. 

Curious why you have so much confidence in Hale? I can understand it for Westbrook obviously but Hale only has 21 receptions in his career. I realize he’s been hurt but he is still unproven. I feel like you guys lost quite a bit with Cobbs, Thomas, and Mack all leaving. 

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Curious why you have so much confidence in Hale? I can understand it for Westbrook obviously but Hale only has 21 receptions in his career. I realize he’s been hurt but he is still unproven. I feel like you guys lost quite a bit with Cobbs, Thomas, and Mack all leaving. 

I’m honestly not worried about our receivers at all as long as they stay healthy.

my biggest concerns

1. Can Ramsey stay healthy? 

2. Can Gest stay healthy at RB? Same as Ramsey if he can stay healthy I can see I big year from him. More importantly I think the difference between him and RB2 is pretty significant even tho I don’t mind Majette In a limit role but he isn’t an RB1 at BIG level in my opinion. I really like how Gest runs. Depth of Position concerns me now with Ellison gone. Would like to see OC get creative with Reece and put the ball in his hands. That would probabaky be asking for to much creativity from debord unfortunately. 

3. Linebackers.. Tegray and Covington are huge loses.

4. Pass rush. Can we be creative enough on blitzes and other schemes to generate some pressure. 

I like our O-line, Recievers, Secondary, QB1, RB1, corners, Ball is a stud at husky. 

Thats really about it. If we can just stay away from injury to key guys I think we can win 6 games. Already lost one key guy before the first kickoff so not starting off to hot.

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I’m honestly not worried about our receivers at all as long as they stay healthy.

my biggest concerns

2. Can Gest stay healthy at RB? Same as Ramsey if he can stay healthy I can see I big year from him. More importantly I think the difference between him and RB2 is pretty significant even tho I don’t mind Majette In a limit role but he isn’t an RB1 at BIG level in my opinion. I really like how Gest runs. Depth of Position concerns me now with Ellison gone. Would like to see OC get creative with Reece and put the ball in his hands. That would probabaky be asking for to much creativity from debord unfortunately. 

4. Pass rush. Can we be creative enough on blitzes and other schemes to generate some pressure. 

I like our O-line, Recievers, Secondary, QB1, RB1, corners, Ball is a stud at husky. 

Thats really about it. If we can just stay away from injury to key guys I think we can win 6 games. Already lost one key guy before the first kickoff so not starting off to hot.

Key word being...stay healthy..seems to be a problem year after year,I look for Penix to get a look and that may be all it takes

36 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

my biggest concerns

That makes sense. What scares you the most of those 6 you listed?

38 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That makes sense. What scares you the most of those 6 you listed?

Gee I’m not sure. Tough question. You can go a number of different ways with this one. 

I’d say combination of our running game and pass rush. Games are won and lost in the trenches. If you can control the line then you can control the game. 

We need Our O-line to produce which I think they will but Gest really needs to stay healthy(he hasn’t been able to in the past). Big drop off from him to Majette. Take some pressure off Ramsey. D line needs some pressure on QB which helps everyone behind them... like the Linebackers.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He had 7 catches for 116 yards and 1TD in 2 games last year. Including 5 catches for 67 yards vs OH ST. If healthy.. our receiving core is better than last year's. He's as good as any "#2" in the conference. He didn't see the field much as a FR and SO because we had: Jones, Cobbs, Westbrook, Paige... plus when he was a FR we had 2- 1000 yd rushers. 

When you're a DC and the team on the other side only has 1 deep threat, they might as well have none. 

Since Dawkins wasn't going to start, especially if he was 3rd on the depth chart, I'm glad he left.  I mostly say that because I love the move of Taylor back to QB.  He seems like one of those guys who has all the tools, but gets overlooked because of his size.  If he was 6' 3" and 225 pounds of muscle, he probably would have been one of the top QB prospects in the country. He's a hell of a QB, and I think he has incredible potential as a college QB.  He might not have the size to be a great pro QB, but who cares.  There are all kinds of examples of undersized QBs who have wreaked havoc on college football teams.

Another thing I like about Taylor at QB for this year is that he doesn't need the whole playbook.  Give him a handful of runs and a handful of passes and he'll be able to keep defenses off balance with just his playmaking ability.

Last thing I like about Taylor moving back to QB is that he was likely to burn his redshirt either way.  Defense, offense, special teams.  It sounds like he's too special of a playmaker to keep off the field.  If we have him ready for a few packages in case Ramsey gets dinged up, he could probably be a patch to get us through a game to keep Penix at 4 games or less and save his redshirt.

If we win 6+ games and preserve Penix's redshirt, this season will be a massive success.

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He had 7 catches for 116 yards and 1TD in 2 games last year. Including 5 catches for 67 yards vs OH ST. If healthy.. our receiving core is better than last year's. He's as good as any "#2" in the conference. He didn't see the field much as a FR and SO because we had: Jones, Cobbs, Westbrook, Paige... plus when he was a FR we had 2- 1000 yd rushers. 

When you're a DC and the team on the other side only has 1 deep threat, they might as well have none. 

As good as any number 2? Seems like high praise for a guy who has barely played. Seems like a guy I’ll take a wait and see approach on. 

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

So, you go out and get a grad Transfer from Arizona for one season. Its a tight battle and you stick with the little guy who gets hurt. I would leave to if I were Dawkins.

I disagree.  I have very little tolerance for the 'play me or I'll quit' attitude.  Just last Friday night I had a conversation with my daughter who was disappointed in not getting into her middle school soccer game that night.  After our discussion, she understood the concept of working hard to get better, being a good teammate, and taking advantage of the opportunity when her time came.  If a 12 year old can understand that.....

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree.  I have very little tolerance for the 'play me or I'll quit' attitude.  Just last Friday night I had a conversation with my daughter who was disappointed in not getting into her middle school soccer game that night.  After our discussion, she understood the concept of working hard to get better, being a good teammate, and taking advantage of the opportunity when her time came.  If a 12 year old can understand that.....

And what happens when this team has their back against the wall @Michigan? You want someone who quits or Ramsey.... 

Archived