IU QB Dawkins Leaves IU program

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I've been thinking about this all day... 

We're now as athletic and as tough as we have ever been at QB. 

Ramsey and Taylor are tough as they come and I have no reason to believe Penix is any different.

They might be athletic & tough, but they have to play smart. 

Good RIDDANCE !! The joker got BEAT OUT by a damn good QUARTERBACK in Payton Ramsey    !! When one door closes another opens !! Reese Taylor will get a decent shot now !! I'm loving it !! Go Hoosiers !! MUCK the smellermakers  ! P.S. IU's current #2 QUARTERBACK-Michael Penix,Jr. , ain't too shabby either !! IU also has FOUR other Quarterbacks in their depth chart ffor QUARTERBACKS !! I'm not losing any sleep over the IU Quarterback position !!!!!!

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you are an IU fan you should care about football as well as basketball.  If you don't care about IU football then why even comment on the football board.

I will comment on anything I wish and be a fan of what I wish but thanks for your concern.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree.  I have very little tolerance for the 'play me or I'll quit' attitude.  Just last Friday night I had a conversation with my daughter who was disappointed in not getting into her middle school soccer game that night.  After our discussion, she understood the concept of working hard to get better, being a good teammate, and taking advantage of the opportunity when her time came.  If a 12 year old can understand that.....

A great life lesson for your little girl, I hope she gives it her all. But this kid left UofA to play his last season at IU. What we dont know is what he was told during recruiting. I have no issue with a kid leaving or a kid being made to leave. He has one year left in his life to play, i hope he finds it.

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

A great life lesson for your little girl, I hope she gives it her all. But this kid left UofA to play his last season at IU. What we dont know is what he was told during recruiting. I have no issue with a kid leaving or a kid being made to leave. He has one year left in his life to play, i hope he finds it.

He handled the situation at IU incredibly poor.

9 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Good RIDDANCE !! The joker got BEAT OUT by a damn good QUARTERBACK in Payton Ramsey    !! When one door closes another opens !! Reese Taylor will get a decent shot now !! I'm loving it !! Go Hoosiers !! MUCK the smellermakers  ! P.S. IU's current #2 QUARTERBACK-Michael Penix,Jr. , ain't too shabby either !! IU also has FOUR other Quarterbacks in their depth chart ffor QUARTERBACKS !! I'm not losing any sleep over the IU Quarterback position !!!!!!

Roger that!

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

But this kid left UofA to play his last season at IU. What we dont know is what he was told during recruiting. I have no issue with a kid leaving or a kid being made to leave. He has one year left in his life to play, i hope he finds it.

Yep, we don't know.  

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

He handled the situation at IU incredibly poor.

By leaving? Maybe the staff handled the situation poorly by having him come here in the first place. They may have promised him the moon, who knows. If you fault the kid for wanting to be some place where he will be on the field playing out his final year, thats on you, not him.

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

By leaving? Maybe the staff handled the situation poorly by having him come here in the first place. They may have promised him the moon, who knows. If you fault the kid for wanting to be some place where he will be on the field playing out his final year, thats on you, not him.

"At the end of the day, I want what is best for Indiana football,'' Dawkins said. "Whether that is me being out there on the field or me coaching the guys up as much as I can. You know I'm never going to be salty about not being in the game. I want to be in the game, but it's not my decision. Whatever the case may be, I want to be able to help in any way I can.

"I didn't come to Indiana just to be selfish and worry all about me. I wanted to come to a new team and do whatever I can and make the most of it. Bottom line is I just want to win games.''

Dawkins said best in his own words in an article from the Goshen News.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those words he originally spoke sure don't reflect what he actually did. Guarantee there were no promises what so ever, especially with Allen as the head coach. Dawkins knew coming in what was on the table including an honest dog fight of a QB competition. I don't think he expected the other QBs to be such good competition.

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

"At the end of the day, I want what is best for Indiana football,'' Dawkins said. "Whether that is me being out there on the field or me coaching the guys up as much as I can. You know I'm never going to be salty about not being in the game. I want to be in the game, but it's not my decision. Whatever the case may be, I want to be able to help in any way I can.

"I didn't come to Indiana just to be selfish and worry all about me. I wanted to come to a new team and do whatever I can and make the most of it. Bottom line is I just want to win games.''

Dawkins said best in his own words in an article from the Goshen News.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those words he originally spoke sure don't reflect what he actually did. Guarantee there were no promises what so ever, especially with Allen as the head coach. Dawkins knew coming in what was on the table including an honest dog fight of a QB competition. I don't think he expected the other QBs to be such good competition.

Of course that is what you are going to say when there is an ongoing competition. It's no different than going for a promotion at work, you tell your supervisor you will be just fine if you don't get it and stay in your current role with glee. In reality, getting turned down for a promotion usually leads to that person going to look for another job.

55 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

This is my take.  I really think he was going to waltz into Bloomington and be the starter.  He got his feelings hurt at 'Zona......and he did here as well.  To me he looks like a bad team mate.  Wish him well.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Actually when you quit on your team, that's on him lol he is soft.

I'm a lot more excited about Ramsey now than I was at the end of last season.  From all reports, he's put in a ton of work.  I think the games he played last year were invaluable to show him what he needed to improve upon.

I have been critical of him in the past and even called him a net neutral player for this year (won't win games, won't lose games...see: Orton, Kyle. 2005 Bears).  From what I've been reading about him the last month, I actually think he might be a decent QB this year.  It obviously won't be known until the season starts, but I think he's progressed more in the offseason than I expected.

I've been impressed with his make up as a QB too.  He seemed to take the extra competition of Dawkins and Penix and use it to push him even harder.  I expected him to take until his junior and senior year to really be a QB that can go out and win you a game, but I think he might be pushing that this year.  I'm sure he see Penix in the rear view mirror, but Ramsey seems determined to not let him catch up.

Take this for what it's worth but a coworker of mine is working on the construction of the football stadium that is finishing up and he has been able to catch glimpses of practice over the last couple of weeks,in one of those glimpses he said Penix rolled out to the right and with the defense in his face he was able to throw an off balance pass of at least 40 yards in the air for a completion...said the dude has athletic ability with a good arm..could unseat Ramsey if he don't come out strong and struggles 

12 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Take this for what it's worth but a coworker of mine is working on the construction of the football stadium that is finishing up and he has been able to catch glimpses of practice over the last couple of weeks,in one of those glimpses he said Penix rolled out to the right and with the defense in his face he was able to throw an off balance pass of at least 40 yards in the air for a completion...said the dude has athletic ability with a good arm..could unseat Ramsey if he don't come out strong and struggles 

Great throw. I will say I think it's easier to throw rolling right as a left handed QB than it is rolling left.. nonetheless that's a tremendous throw and cool your buddy got to see that. I wonder how well Penix has picked up on the offense. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Great throw. I will say I think it's easier to throw rolling right as a left handed QB than it is rolling left.. nonetheless that's a tremendous throw and cool your buddy got to see that. I wonder how well Penix has picked up on the offense. 

I guess we will find out Saturday...he enrolled in January and got to go Thur spring practice from what I have been told...plus fall camp,so he's had to take in a good bit of the offense I would think.

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Meet me in Btown sometime and we'll go watch practice. I was watching camp 3 times a week.

35 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I guess we will find out Saturday...he enrolled in January and got to go Thur spring practice from what I have been told...plus fall camp,so he's had to take in a good bit of the offense I would think.

Oh I just meant it as a general question. It's simply difficult to learn it all in that amount of time. I didnt mean to imply anything. 

Archived