Michigan LOSES 2 of 3 Exhibition games in Spain ??

Game 1- Michigan wins 82 to 72 over The Madrid Generals ( Spain's version of the Washington Generals {?} , vbg) Michigan scoring : Poole 12 , A.Davis 12 , Johns 8 , Teske 6

Game 2- KK Mega Bemax 81 Michigan 73 ! Michigan scorers :Poole 16 , Brazdeikas 15 , Matthews 12 , Simpson 8 , A. Davis 8 , Brooks 7 , & Livers 7 ...

Game 3 -Joventux Badaluna (ACB) 85 Michigan 79 !! Michigan scoring :Livers & Brazdiekas 15 each , Matthews 14 , Davis 12 , Poole & Teske 7 each , Brooks 5 ,  & Simpson 4 !! 

Possible Conclusions : #1-The two teams that beat Michigan are pretty darn good teams ( Michigan was ranked # 12 in the way too early season rankings for 2018 ) # 2 :: Michigan losses ( from their 2017-2018 Roster )were/are more severe than the prediction makers realize ???

than 

I don’t take much away from the overseas results these teams take. Who knows the talent level of the opponents, etc. 

With that said though, I tend to think that Michigan is being overrated coming into this season and that their losses are being minimized. I’m not sure what that’s happening, but I’ll be surprised if they’re the second best team in the Big Ten. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t take much away from the overseas results these teams take. Who knows the talent level of the opponents, etc. 

With that said though, I tend to think that Michigan is being overrated coming into this season and that their losses are being minimized. I’m not sure what that’s happening, but I’ll be surprised if they’re the second best team in the Big Ten. 

Well at least they are getting 3 extra games under their belt against good competition before the season even starts. Those games have too really help prepare for the upcoming season.

I Decided to check out the Michigan Players that are no longer on the Wolverine Roster !! Here goes  ;; #1 Scorer Moritz Wagner 14.8 PPG , MA Abdur Rahkman #3 scorer -12,9 ppg. , Duncan Robinson # 4 scorer -9.2 ppg , Ibi Watson- # 9 scorer -2.2 ppg , Brent Hibbits -#11 scorer -1.8 ppg , and Jaron Simmons- # 12 scorer - 1.5 ppg !  That is 3 of their top 4 scorers gone and 6 of top 12 scorers gone !! All told Michigan losses 1,594 points out of a total scored of 3,019 ! That is a percentage lost of 52.7989% or nearly 53 % of their scoring !! Only time will tell -but- I might think that Michigan will not be quite as good in 2018-2019 than they were in 2017-2018 ??????

5 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I Decided to check out the Michigan Players that are no longer on the Wolverine Roster !! Here goes  ;; #1 Scorer Moritz Wagner 14.8 PPG , MA Abdur Rahkman #3 scorer -12,9 ppg. , Duncan Robinson # 4 scorer -9.2 ppg , Ibi Watson- # 9 scorer -2.2 ppg , Brent Hibbits -#11 scorer -1.8 ppg , and Jaron Simmons- # 12 scorer - 1.5 ppg !  That is 3 of their top 4 scorers gone and 6 of top 12 scorers gone !! All told Michigan losses 1,594 points out of a total scored of 3,019 ! That is a percentage lost of 52.7989% or nearly 53 % of their scoring !! Only time will tell -but- I might think that Michigan will not be quite as good in 2018-2019 than they were in 2017-2018 ??????

They may gel. Another reason I am glad we are getting them early on the road. 

18 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Well at least they are getting 3 extra games under their belt against good competition before the season even starts. Those games have too really help prepare for the upcoming season.

It might, it might not. I wasn’t really making a statement on the value of these overseas trips, was more saying I think Michigan’s losses are going to hurt them more than the projections seem to think. 

No idea about the quality of the opposition, but either (1) they intentionally scheduled a very tough tour to jump-start season preparation or (2) they simply aren't that good.  I'm looking forward to watching how this develops.  Thanks for the intel, HTD!

Although My OP was about Michigan , I decided to take a look at the Cow school in Northwestern Indiana ,vbg ! pee yew loses ;; #2 scorer Isaac Haas -14.7 ppg and 514 total scored , #3 scorer -Vince Edwards-14.6 ppg & 511 total pts . , #4 scorer-Dakota Mathias-12 ppg & 445 total pts , #5 scorer-P.J. Thompson-7.5 ppg & 276 total pts. , #9 Scorer-Jacquil Taylor-1.8 ppg & 35 total points scored , and # 10 scorer-Eden Ewing-1.7 ppg &  10 total points !! That means pee yew LOSES 4 of their TOP 5 scorers and 6 of their top 10 scorers ! Those departed SIX players accounted for 1,791 of pee yew's total of 2,974 points scored OR 60.22 % of the scoring that pee yew has to replace from last season !! I do not care how good Carson Edwards is , he can't replace the 60.22 % of scoring that PEE YEW losses from last season all by himself !! ( pee yew's recruiting class was not rated all that high for 2018-2019 either , I seem to recall !! THe smellermkaers will NOT WIN 30 games in 2018-2019 !1   I would expect their win total will come much closer to 20 than 30 ,FWIW !! 

6 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Although My OP was about Michigan , I decided to take a look at the Cow school in Northwestern Indiana ,vbg ! pee yew loses ;; #2 scorer Isaac Haas -14.7 ppg and 514 total scored , #3 scorer -Vince Edwards-14.6 ppg & 511 total pts . , #4 scorer-Dakota Mathias-12 ppg & 445 total pts , #5 scorer-P.J. Thompson-7.5 ppg & 276 total pts. , #9 Scorer-Jacquil Taylor-1.8 ppg & 35 total points scored , and # 10 scorer-Eden Ewing-1.7 ppg &  10 total points !! That means pee yew LOSES 4 of their TOP 5 scorers and 6 of their top 10 scorers ! Those departed SIX players accounted for 1,791 of pee yew's total of 2,974 points scored OR 60.22 % of the scoring that pee yew has to replace from last season !! I do not care how good Carson Edwards is , he can't replace the 60.22 % of scoring that PEE YEW losses from last season all by himself !! ( pee yew's recruiting class was not rated all that high for 2018-2019 either , I seem to recall !! THe smellermkaers will NOT WIN 30 games in 2018-2019 !1   I would expect their win total will come much closer to 20 than 30 ,FWIW !! 

Agreed plus Edwards will be able to be focused in on so I doubt he’s scoring as efficiently. How you beat Purdue this year will be to rotate fresh defenders on Edwards to wear him out and force him to take bad shots or pass it to guys that aren’t good enough to exploit their defenders. 

A look at Michigan State's losses ( first of all Michigan State won 30 games last season , Michigan 33 and pee yew 30)  The Spartans will come the closest to 30 wins [ of those 3 teams ] in 2018-2019, imho  ! MSU loses :#1 scorer Miles Bridges 17.1 ppg & 582 total pts. , #5 Sccorer -Jaren Jackson-10.9 PPG & 382 pts. , #7 Scorer-Gavin Schilling-2.9 ppg & 100 pts. , #10 scorer-Tum Tum Nairn-1.7 ppg & 60 pts , and #11 scorer-Ben Carter-.7ppg & 15 points !! That's 1,139 of 2,807 total points scored or 40.58 % of total points scored !! That rascal Izzo usually recruits well , so I think they will absorb their losses much better than Michigan or pee yew !!

This is my final look at B10 Teams [for tonight-I'm getting tired ,vgg ] Indiana's Hoosiers lose :: #2 scorer-Robert Johnson-13.2 ppg & 317 total pts , #4 scorer-Josh Newkirk-7.5 ppg & 181 pts. , #6 scorer-Collin Hartmann-5.8 ppg & 92 pts. , #9 scorer-Freddie McSwain-3.8 ppg & 90 pts. , #11 Scorer Curtis Jones -3 ppg & 21 pts.. IU only loses 683 points out of 1,718 or 40.34 % !! That means IU returns 58.61 % of THEIR scoring from last season to go with the # 7 rated recruiting class coming aboard for 2018-2019 !! Based solely on these facts , I have to think/predict that The Hoosiers will make a legitimate run towards winning the Big Ten Championship in 2018-2019 !!!   GO HOOSIERS -MUCK the pee yew smellermakers !!,vbg😀

44 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

A look at Michigan State's losses ( first of all Michigan State won 30 games last season , Michigan 33 and pee yew 30)  The Spartans will come the closest to 30 wins [ of those 3 teams ] in 2018-2019, imho  ! MSU loses :#1 scorer Miles Bridges 17.1 ppg & 582 total pts. , #5 Sccorer -Jaren Jackson-10.9 PPG & 382 pts. , #7 Scorer-Gavin Schilling-2.9 ppg & 100 pts. , #10 scorer-Tum Tum Nairn-1.7 ppg & 60 pts , and #11 scorer-Ben Carter-.7ppg & 15 points !! That's 1,139 of 2,807 total points scored or 40.58 % of total points scored !! That rascal Izzo usually recruits well , so I think they will absorb their losses much better than Michigan or pee yew !!

Agree on MSU. They lost two talented players in Bridges and Jackson, but Ward, Langford and the other guard (can’t remember his name) is a group of three highly ranked juniors that have started for two years. That’s a strong nucleus to build a team around. They’ll still be good. 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

No idea about the quality of the opposition, but either (1) they intentionally scheduled a very tough tour to jump-start season preparation or (2) they simply aren't that good.  I'm looking forward to watching how this develops.  Thanks for the intel, HTD!

Or (3) they had a difficult time adjusting to the Euro style of play.

Next: Ohio State-Won 25 games last season ! Player losses from last season::: #1 scorer-Bate-Diop-19.8 ppg & 672 total points . , #3 scorer-Tate-12.3 ppg & 418 , #5 scorer-Williams-9 ppg & 278 , #7 scorer Dakich-3 ppg & 101 , # 12 scorer-Lehman-.8 ppg & 3 , and #13 scorer-Fulton .3 ppg & 1 !! That is Three of their Top Five scorers gone with a team total of 1,473 of 2,591 points scored !! That is 56.9 % of their scoring to replace ( and that is a lot !!) !!! The Bucknuts will be good  !! However , I wonder if they will be as good as last season ?

Next=Nebraska-22  11 last year ! Players lost=#5 scorer-Anton Gill-8.1 ppg & 250 points . , # 6 scorer-Evan Taylor-6.4 ppg & 210 points , #7 scorer-Tshimingo-4 ppg & 124 pts. , #9 sco😀rer-Jack McVeigh-1.9 ppg  & 27 pts. , #13 scorer-OKEKE .8 ppg & 22 pts. , and #14 Scorer-Laws-.2 ppg & 2 pts.  Nebraska only loses 635 of 2,386 total points or only 26.6 % ! They RETURN their top 4 scorers and 73.4 % of their scoring ! AS much as I DISLIKE Tim Miles , Nebraska will be very hard to beat in 2018-2019 !!!!  ( Harder to beat than the smellermakers ,vbg !😩

Next = Penn State-26 & 13 last year !! Player losses====== #1 scorer-Tony Carr 19.6 ppg & 725 pts . , #4 scorer Shep Garner-11.4 ppg  446 pts. , #6 scorer Nazeer Bostick-4.7 ppg & 165 pts. , #7 scorer Julian Moore 2.2 ppg & 85 pts. That means the lions lose  top scorer & 4 of their top 7 scores !!  The Lions lose 1,421 of 2,915 toatal points or 48.75 % of their total points !! My thoughts are that PSU might drop a little in 2018-2019 !!!!!

Next=The Maryland Turtles _Players lost ===#2 scorer Kevin Huerter-14.9 ppg & 472 , #4 scorer Justin Jackson-9.8 ppg & 108 , #6 scorer Michael Cekovsky-6.4 ppg & 180 , #7 scorer Dion Wiley-5.8 PPG & 161 , #8 scorer Jared Nickens-5.1 ppg & 163 , #11 scorer Sean Obi-1.4 & 29 , and # 14 scorer Alex Tosrade-.6 ppg & 4 pts. !! That is 1,117 of  2,338 total pts. That is 48.8 % of total points gone !! Terps might slip down a notch ! This is being said with no first hand knowledge at this time how good the Terp recruiting class for 2018-2019 !! ( Of course , that applies to most of the earlier and future posts -as well)

First of all: Northwestern had to REPLACE 2 post players going into the 2017-2018 Season , 6'7" Forward Nate Taphorn  and 6'6" Sanjay Lumpkin who combined to average 10.5 ppg and over 5.3 rebounds per game !! Thoe 2 players provided a lot of experience !! Even more devastating to Northwestern last season was the games that their best player , Bryant Mc Intosh missed 3 games due to injury and his scoring average fell from 14.8 ppg in 2016-2017 to 11.8 ppg in 2017-2018 because he played hurt after he returned from the injury !! Your assessment { of Northwestern] Wisconsinfailed [imho ] to take ALL of the facts into consideration !!

Next Wisconsin -only 15 wins last season !! You can forget last season ehen they had to replce all of their top players except for Ethan Happ !! This season The Badgers will have a huge hand in deciding who wins the Big Ten Title [imho} as they RETURN 1,914 of 2,026 total points scored OR 94.47 % of The Badger Scoring returns for 2017-2018 !! Michigan State , Michigan , Minnesota , pee yew  &  Maryland  ALL play in Madison , Wisconsin this season !! IU Does not play The Badgers in Madison this season !! I see this as a BIG + for our INDIANA HOOSIERS !!!!  

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

First of all: Northwestern had to REPLACE 2 post players going into the 2017-2018 Season , 6'7" Forward Nate Taphorn  and 6'6" Sanjay Lumpkin who combined to average 10.5 ppg and over 5.3 rebounds per game !! Thoe 2 players provided a lot of experience !! Even more devastating to Northwestern last season was the games that their best player , Bryant Mc Intosh missed 3 games due to injury and his scoring average fell from 14.8 ppg in 2016-2017 to 11.8 ppg in 2017-2018 because he played hurt after he returned from the injury !! Your assessment { of Northwestern] Wisconsinfailed [imho ] to take ALL of the facts into consideration !!

Next Wisconsin -only 15 wins last season !! You can forget last season ehen they had to replce all of their top players except for Ethan Happ !! This season The Badgers will have a huge hand in deciding who wins the Big Ten Title [imho} as they RETURN 1,914 of 2,026 total points scored OR 94.47 % of The Badger Scoring returns for 2017-2018 !! Michigan State , Michigan , Minnesota , pee yew  &  Maryland  ALL play in Madison , Wisconsin this season !! IU Does not play The Badgers in Madison this season !! I see this as a BIG + for our INDIANA HOOSIERS !!!!  

Usually a second point after you start a post with first of all. 

For example another reason why this is a silly way to guage teams is you aren’t looking at the efficiency at which the returnees scored their points. If they return 60% of their scoring but lost the 2 most efficient that’s a huge blow. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

For example another reason why this is a silly way to gushed teams is you aren’t looking at the efficiency at which the returnees scored their points. If they return 60% if their scoring but lost the 2 most efficient that’s a huge blow. 

Are we talking "metrics"?  LOL

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

For example another reason why this is a silly way to guage teams is you aren’t looking at the efficiency at which the returnees scored their points. If they return 60% of their scoring but lost the 2 most efficient that’s a huge blow. 

Brass Cannon, meet hoosiertildeath

Any way you cut it  , losing 50 % OR MORE of scoring from the previous season HAS TO HURT , unless you land a superb recruiting class like the kaintucky cheaters & Duke do every year and Indiana Did going into the 2018-2019 season !! Next :::: Minnesota  , another team that only won 15 games last season !! However , The Gophers do return their #1 , # 3 , # 5 & # 6 scorers !! That is 4 of their top 6 scorers from last season back !! Also , they RETURN 59.3 & of their scoring from last season !! The kicker that gets me thinking the Gophers will be harder to beat in 2018-2019 id that they replace troubled child Reggie Lynch with 7'2" Louisville transfer , Matz Stockman ! Stockman adds veteran SIZE  !! Watch out for the Gophers in 2018-2019 might be a good decision , imho !!

Next:: Illinois ? The Illini only won 14 times last season .  They lose 55.7 % of their scoring from last season !! The upsides  for Illinois in 2018-2019 are: #1- they return their # 2 #3, & # 5 scorers from last season ! #2.- Illinois adds 7'0" Senior Eligible Grad transfer , Adonis De La Rosa , from Kent State who averaged 11.8 ppg and 7.6 rebounds per game last year at Kent State ! # 3- Coach Underwood is a proven recruiter !! Only time will tell , but I expect the Illini to finish better than .500 in 2018-2019 !! I've got to get ready for baseball and I'll try to post my thoughts on Iowa  and Rutgers after baseball !!

Archived