"It's child abuse"

FKIM01

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good for you. Parent's are crazy. Dr Guse former dr for the Twins was adamant no curve or slider untik growth plates begin to close. Thats high school for most boys.  All the no hitters  at age 8-13 arw not worth the injuries

Thanks! One thing I have no patience at all for are the parents trying to live vicariously through their kids, forcing them to over-train, yelling at refs/coaches from the sidelines, trying to coach their kid from the sidelines, etc. I'm not a confrontational person, I'm pretty mild-mannered and most people that know me would say I look to avoid conflict, but stepping up to that type of parent is something I have no problem doing. 

If you're not out there to support the kids (all of them, not just your own), help them learn and ensure they're having fun most of all, then I have to patience for you. When I coach youth basketball, we're talking elementary school aged kids, I always tell my parents at the beginning of the season that my 3 goals are, 1) they learn skills, 2) they have fun, and 3) they are excited about the sport and want to come back and play basketball again next season. Yes winning is fun, but never at the expense of those three things. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thanks! One thing I have no patience at all for are the parents trying to live vicariously through their kids, forcing them to over-train, yelling at refs/coaches from the sidelines, trying to coach their kid from the sidelines, etc. I'm not a confrontational person, I'm pretty mild-mannered and most people that know me would say I look to avoid conflict, but stepping up to that type of parent is something I have no problem doing. 

If you're not out there to support the kids (all of them, not just your own), help them learn and ensure they're having fun most of all, then I have to patience for you. When I coach youth basketball, we're talking elementary school aged kids, I always tell my parents at the beginning of the season that my 3 goals are, 1) they learn skills, 2) they have fun, and 3) they are excited about the sport and want to come back and play basketball again next season. Yes winning is fun, but never at the expense of those three things. 

I could not have said it better. I think I am officially retiring from coaching and gonna let Ayden hear another voice and just be Dad.  I know that Ayden will only be able to play this year maybe next and thats all so i want to be his biggest supporter and fan and not worry so much about developing 10 other kids. Maybe that not the best attitude but... I got out of coaching because of his health and got back to have the opportunity to allow him to play and now I can just be a support system for him.  I can be one of the dads to just cheer for all the boys and I look froward to it.

Love your approach and glad to see other coaches that happen to be Dad's and not Dad's that choose to coach for their son!!

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I could not have said it better. I think I am officially retiring from coaching and gonna let Ayden hear another voice and just be Dad.  I know that Ayden will only be able to play this year maybe next and thats all so i want to be his biggest supporter and fan and not worry so much about developing 10 other kids. Maybe that not the best attitude but... I got out of coaching because of his health and got back to have the opportunity to allow him to play and now I can just be a support system for him.  I can be one of the dads to just cheer for all the boys and I look froward to it.

Love your approach and glad to see other coaches that happen to be Dad's and not Dad's that choose to coach for their son!!

I think that’s great! Nothing wrong with just being Dad and enjoying the practices/games, and completely agree on letting ours kids hear different voices. That’s why I just coach basketball and don’t typically volunteer for the other sports unless there is a need. It’s fun just watching practices and games from the sidelines sometimes, and again completely agree on the other voice thing. 

So glad to hear Ayden is doing well and out there playing! 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think that’s great! Nothing wrong with just being Dad and enjoying the practices/games, and completely agree on letting ours kids hear different voices. That’s why I just coach basketball and don’t typically volunteer for the other sports unless there is a need. It’s fun just watching practices and games from the sidelines sometimes, and again completely agree on the other voice thing. 

So glad to hear Ayden is doing well and out there playing! 

Thank you. Its been a good year health wise overall for him. Thank you for thinking of him!

Archived