No More Names on Jerseys

I like it from a coach's and player's perspective, but not really from a fan's perspective.  I think it goes along well with the goal the athletic department and football team are trying to push of caring about the whole athlete and the whole team and loving each other.

But, it will be a bit annoying at first when watching games.  Even if they don't do names, I would like to see them put Hoosiers above the numbers to balance it out a little bit so it at least looks better.

Quite a few schools do this already, so it really isn't that big of a deal.  USC, PSU, Notre Dame, Military Academies, plus I'm sure there are others too.  As long as it allows for a teaching moment with the team and an opportunity to turn them into better players, better teams, and better people, I'm fine with the minor nuisance.

I also feel like I'll get better at learning who is what number, so in the long run I think I'll hardly notice much difference.  The numbers are bigger and easier to see on uniforms than the names anyways, so maybe it is an improvement :coffee:

Reminds me of the story back in the day when an assistant football coach at Purdue told the equipment manager to have names put on the Jerseys.  The next morning there were cattle roaming around campus with 'Bessie', 'Flossie', and 'Gerty' spray-painted on their side.  :coffee:

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Reminds me of the story back in the day when an assistant football coach at Purdue told the equipment manager to have names put on the Jerseys.  The next morning there were cattle roaming around campus with 'Bessie', 'Flossie', and 'Gerty' spray-painted on their side.  :coffee:

You forgot the best part of the story. When the assistant FB coach saw what the equipment manager had done..... the assistant coach told the eq manager :  "I told you to put names on the players jerseys..... not on our co-eds.  LOL

1 hour ago, rico said:

I wonder how much money that saves?

They just spent over $130,000 on the new helmets and the players think they are the safest and the best on the market.  I doubt that not having the names on the back of the jersey really saves much money.  Glass said that football was the only IU team with names on the jerseys and talked to Allen whether they should take the names off the football uniforms.  Glass told Allen that it was up to him and Allen said it would be alright to take the names off.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

They just spent over $130,000 on the new helmets and the players think they are the safest and the best on the market.  I doubt that not having the names on the back of the jersey really saves much money.  Glass said that football was the only IU team with names on the jerseys and talked to Allen whether they should take the names off the football uniforms.  Glass told Allen that it was up to him and Allen said it would be alright to take the names off.

Well it still has to save money.....but maybe it saves Adidas money?

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Problem there is Allen is a yes guy right now. He wants to stay employed so when his alleged boss approaches him with an idea...of course he'll go along with it. 

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Problem there is Allen is a yes guy right now. He wants to stay employed so when his alleged boss approaches him with an idea...of course he'll go along with it. 

I highly doubt that. Glass loved Allen, that's why he's here in the first place. Allen's not a yes man in year 2 because he was one win short of a bowl.

19 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I highly doubt that. Glass loved Allen, that's why he's here in the first place. Allen's not a yes man in year 2 because he was one win short of a bowl.

Disagree. Instead of doing a search....Glass approached Allen immediately with offer in hand after getting rid of Wilson because he wanted immediate continuity. Allen's memory isn't that short. He'll toe the line for a bit. With that said. I like Allen. Seems very well respected among peers.....but Glass is a salesman rahrah guy and it came down to Glass (as much as anyone else) wanting to look like he had control of the situation. Reminder....Glass was the one who gave Wilson the extension. Glass was the one who figured out a way to get out of the extension. Glass wanted to look good too. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Disagree. Instead of doing a search....Glass approached Allen immediately with offer in hand after getting rid of Wilson because he wanted immediate continuity. Allen's memory isn't that short. He'll toe the line for a bit. With that said. I like Allen. Seems very well respected among peers.....but Glass is a salesman rahrah guy and it came down to Glass (as much as anyone else) wanting to look like he had control of the situation. Reminder....Glass was the one who gave Wilson the extension. Glass was the one who figured out a way to get out of the extension. Glass wanted to look good too. 

I remember at the time of Wilson's firing that something seemed a little odd.  I know I talked to a couple insiders and thought the dots connected to Wilson being let go early because the administration loved Allen.  Plus, Glass said he and Wilson weren't on the same page which was why he was let go, yet we hardly gave him any of his remaining contract.  And, if he got a job elsewhere his salary there subtracted from whatever we owed him.  I don't know if we actually had to pay him anything for the buyout.  I know it all seemed really odd at the time.  I'm a firm believer that a big part of the reason why we let is because we had a lot of confidence in Allen.  If we didn't hire him, he was probably going to get a head coaching job either that offseason or the next one.  I think he's a great defensive coach, a great leader, and a local guy who we thought could be our coach for the next 20 years.  I don't think it had anything to do with continuity.

Plus, I don't get fired up about extensions.  Coaches have to be signed for probably 4 years ahead, so Wilson was getting close to the point of extension or termination.  Even if a coach is given a huge extension, they can still be fired.  It's part of the game.

Are you thoughts on Glass and Allen based on things you've heard, or thoughts you've gathered the last couple years?

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I remember at the time of Wilson's firing that something seemed a little odd.  I know I talked to a couple insiders and thought the dots connected to Wilson being let go early because the administration loved Allen.  Plus, Glass said he and Wilson weren't on the same page which was why he was let go, yet we hardly gave him any of his remaining contract.  And, if he got a job elsewhere his salary there subtracted from whatever we owed him.  I don't know if we actually had to pay him anything for the buyout.  I know it all seemed really odd at the time.  I'm a firm believer that a big part of the reason why we let is because we had a lot of confidence in Allen.  If we didn't hire him, he was probably going to get a head coaching job either that offseason or the next one.  I think he's a great defensive coach, a great leader, and a local guy who we thought could be our coach for the next 20 years.  I don't think it had anything to do with continuity.

Plus, I don't get fired up about extensions.  Coaches have to be signed for probably 4 years ahead, so Wilson was getting close to the point of extension or termination.  Even if a coach is given a huge extension, they can still be fired.  It's part of the game.

Are you thoughts on Glass and Allen based on things you've heard, or thoughts you've gathered the last couple years?

Actually every decade or so I have access to information. The decision to get Wilson canned for cause started in late Sept/early October. At that point Glass knew what the investigation was going to find i.e. Wilson treatment of injured players, treatment of medical personnel who wouldn't clear players,etc...so I believed the decision to hire Allen was made because Glass knew he needed to show some leadership/continuity,etc...within the athletic department. Have to remember this was all going on at the same time that Glass was getting heat for Crean. 

I like Fred Glass. Have had the opportunity to do some work with him. He loves IU....but in my little small opinion....Archie and Allen should be his last two hires at IU. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Tried to wait a few days to get opinions from former players via twitter,etc....haven't found one who says they support this. If we actually care about what the players think...seems to me this is a bad move by Fred Glass. 

Thanks for sharing that tidbit with us.  The first thought in my mind was the guys who put in the work, weekly... only get into a game infrequently, or not at all.  Personally, I feel those guys should be recognized for putting the work in by having their names on the jerseys.   Guys, like the real Rudy, who by the way had his name on the back of his jersey.

Marquee_RudysDream.jpg

I don’t see the need to tinker with this.  Leave well enough alone.  Not all fans are hard core fans who know about Devon Matthews or Cam Jones.  The names help the fans. It becomes an irritant to have them off.  I’m not focused on recruiting on this.  

I like the no names on basketball jerseys.  That is a tradition thing and, (a) players’ faces can be seen since they are not obscured with a helmet, and (b) players are are well known to begin with, so it is different from football.  I don’t need to check the program to see if that was Al Durham or not.  IU basketball is on a completely different level than football in terms of tradition, knowledge and interest of fans, etc  

To me this is misguided.  This needed to be thought through a hell of a lot better.  It has a busybody, over officious feel to it.  

Archived