No More Names on Jerseys

I watched the University of Wyoming game this past Saturday.  Like our "no name Hoosiers", the Cowboys do not have names on their jerseys.  About the only guy on Wyoming's team, I know by number is Austin Conway.  As I watched him play basketball, along side our own De'Ron Davis at Overland High School, in Aurora, Colorado. Austin played two sports in high school, but only one in college.

What I got a kick out of was many times, when Austin had the ball, the color man consistently misidentified Austin.  And each time he did.... I shouted out, that's Austin Conway, dummy !

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

The thing I don’t like about this, along with just the pain of trying to figure out who is who while watching, is that I think the ‘play for the name one the front, not the back’ is one of the dumbest, overused, meaningless cliches in all of sports.

Totally disagree with that statement because in college it should be the name in the front that matters and not the name on the back.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally disagree with that statement because in college it should be the name in the front that matters and not the name on the back.

Respectfully....you are the only one I've heard in support of no names on back of jerseys in football. Dozens of former IU players have said the same all week long on twitter. Tells me that Fred either doesn't have a clue what the former players think....or worse yet he doesn't care. 

The thing I don’t like about this, along with just the pain of trying to figure out who is who while watching, is that I think the ‘play for the name one the front, not the back’ is one of the dumbest, overused, meaningless cliches in all of sports.

Except maybe in US Olympic men’s  hockey, 1980 style. 

I have no problem with no names on the jersey.  I have pretty decent seats and I can’t see anyone’s name on a jersey during a game.  I have always had to know the numbers and it’s not hard to get there after a few games.

i can see why on tv it might be more helpful.  I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be IMO.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Not sure what it has to do with college specifically? Having a name on a jersey doesn’t negatively impact play, performance or really anything else. 

Not sure what it has to do with college specifically? Having a name on a jersey doesn’t negatively impact play, performance or really anything else. 

Nothing to do with play...but based on week 1 of social media comments....having their name on the jersey represents an accomplishment for so many players to see in person, tv viewership, pride from the family members. I'll stop hammering on this. Just like uniforms/helmets matter on one side of recruiting....little things like names on the jersey matter as well. 

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Respectfully....you are the only one I've heard in support of no names on back of jerseys in football. Dozens of former IU players have said the same all week long on twitter. Tells me that Fred either doesn't have a clue what the former players think....or worse yet he doesn't care. 

Tell you the truth I couldn't care less if we have no names or not but don't see why people are making this into a big story.

Basketball.   Only five men on the court . Some substitutions, while some coaches only go 8 deep.

Baseball.  Only nine men on the field. Rare to have players come in to the game, with the exception of pitcher changes, which are announced.

Football.  11 men on the field.  Wearing a helmet and face mask, unlike in basketball, and baseball (with the exception of the catcher). Multiple substitutions, both on offense and defense.   Gets hard to tell who is on the field..... unless you are Kreskin who can memorize numbers. 

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Basketball.   Only five men on the court . Some substitutions, while some coaches only go 8 deep.

Baseball.  Only nine men on the field. Rare to have players come in to the game, with the exception of pitcher changes, which are announced.

Football.  11 men on the field.  Wearing a helmet and face mask, unlike in basketball, and baseball (with the exception of the catcher). Multiple substitutions, both on offense and defense.   Gets hard to tell who is on the field..... unless you are Kreskin who can memorize numbers. 

Tell you the truth even when watching on TV I can't really see the names on the jersey's unless they zoom right into the play.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tell you the truth even when watching on TV I can't really see the names on the jersey's unless they zoom right into the play.

But when a play is made, they do zoom in, so you can see who the player is especially during replays. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I don't really understand getting rid of the names either. Hell they had a player vote on QB confidence, why not a player vote for this? 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Love you Scott. Know that I consider you to be a valued member of our small IU community here.  Suggestion :  Buy a bigger screen tv ! Those 12 inch screens are hard for anybody to read a name.    Just Kidding.  LOL

And though I watch our games on big screen tv's, I will grant you that there are times that the cameras, don't pick up all of the names on any given play.  However, as OGIUAndy has said.... most times, if it is an important play, replay from different angles gives a better chance to read the name..... not only for the viewer, but also for the announcer. 

In my case, I just prefer to have names on the jerseys of our FB players, and not on our BB players, as stated. 

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Love you Scott. Know that I consider you to be a valued member of our small IU community here.  Suggestion :  Buy a bigger screen tv ! Those 12 inch screens are hard for anybody to read a name.    Just Kidding.  LOL

And though I watch our games on big screen tv's, I will grant you that there are times that the cameras, don't pick up all of the names on any given play.  However, as OGIUAndy has said.... most times, if it is an important play, replay from different angles gives a better chance to read the name..... not only for the viewer, but also for the announcer. 

In my case, I just prefer to have names on the jerseys of our FB players, and not on our BB players, as stated. 

I have 65 inch TV in the family room and a 42 inch in my room so my TV's are big enough

Archived