1960's Music

5fouls

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no, you didn't just go there!  Not in any particular order but here are some excellent songs of the 60's that continue to influence my musical tastes.  You should have never started THIS thread.:-)  So many of these bands set the stage for the 70's...so I will go with great songs and great bands...

-The Byrds. Great band with some crazy great musicians.  Roger McGuinn's 12 string guitar is the sound of the 60's folk rock.  David Crosby, GRAM PARSONS!  The real southern California sound years before the Eagles.  So I could have gone with "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" or " Mr. Tambourine Man" but this one is a great way to enjoy the 

Eight Miles High - The Byrds

Now to add a bit a flavor...Husker Du's cover....

The metal cover version!  Unbelievably great!

Ok, It's 1963.  You and your mates in a London arts school decide to start a little blues band.  You do well enough to get a gig as a house band for a hotel bar because the earlier band wanted to try touring...Low and behold, you start getting noticed.  According to Rolling Stone magazine, your band will eventually have 3 of the top 5 rock guitar of all time; Eric Clapton who was replaced by Jeff Beck, who was joined with Jimmy Page...oh, and the earlier band you replaced?  The Rolling Stones.  I would say the music guy at the Crawdaddy Club had a good eye for talent.  *edit* My daughter pointed out that maybe some of the young whipper snappers may not know who Jimmy Page is...he left the Yardbirds to start another little band, Led Zeppelin.

Here is the Yardbirds with both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck from the movie Blow-up:

So for this movie, Steve Howe's (of Yes)  band , The In Crowd, was originally supposed to be the band.  They actually went down a few days earlier and got the movie set ready but at the last minute the director was able to get the Yardbirds.  So the guitar that was trashed was actually Steve Howe's and not Jeff Beck's.

Simon and Garfunkel...Well little Tom and Jerry did ok after all.  Hard to pick which song is the one to post so I will post 2 songs and fun covers of them.  Sounds of Silence would have been a good one to use but I think the Disturbed cover has been played too many times at my local bar so I went another direction.  

"America" one of my favorite songs ever...

And a unique version by the ever great Bowie...

Man, Bowie just had a presence...

Now to another S&G favorite... Dimaggio was annoyed about it until years later Simon explained it to him...

Now for a great fun cover by one of my favorite internet bands...Pomplamoose!!!!

*edit*  I don't want anyone to think I missed this cover.  

Me and Julio cover

One of the distinctive voices of the 60's...Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick.   "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," "Say a Little Prayer," "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?"  are just a few of the hits. The Telegraph says Dionne had more hits than any other female other than Aretha Franklin.    Fabulous song.  The cover by The Stranglers ha

Here is the Strangler's version.  I like it better than Isaac Hayes' version.  The original Strangler's video for the song ( I couldn't find a good copy but here is a crappy one Walk on by official video) is based on the movie Blow-up...which is the movie that the Yardbirds video, that I posted earlier, was from.  Kinda cool, eh?

Not much to say other than it is my favorite Christmas song without a mention of Christmas...A song that lives in every decade.  If this doesn't put a smile on your face, nothing will.

Bloomington's favorite, P.K Lavengood's old 80's band, Rods and Cones, played a killer cover of this for years.  P.K. is now a well known Jersey Shore guitarist.

A couple of great covers...

And the fabulous Bela Fleck and the Flecktones...

This month's meteor shower brought back good memories of Bloomington.  I would invite a wonderful young co-ed out to see the celestial event, bring a couple of bottle's of wine go out to the farms past Bloomington North and put this song on...It worked like a charm since it is basically a booty call.  Astrud's version oozes with sex and Walter Wanderley's Hammond organ is one of the distinctive, unique sounds of the 60's.  Tony Hatch wrote this song along with Petula's greatest hit "Downtown" which I thought about putting up too. Well, what the heck, I'll put it up too!

I have been known to spontaneously break out singing this song.  It is also one of my signature Karaoke songs.

Barry McGuire sang this protest song that I first heard at the StaTan  public swimming pool in Ironton, Ohio in the summer of 1968. This is one of the first 45's I bought...the same day I bought Ted Nugent's Amboy Duke's Journey to the Center of the Mind...I was 7 years old.  A true classic of the war era.

The Dickies cover isn't much of a classic but The Dickies were a fun fantastic cover band and if you haven't checked them out, do so.  Ozzy wished he would have done Paranoid like the Dickies!  They are like a shot of amphetamines. :-) Oh, maybe NSFW.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

There's not a guy from my generation who doesn't like Stevie Nicks!  She was my dream girl!

Archived