Another step in the march towards end of 1 and done

On 8/31/2018 at 2:20 PM, BGleas said:

Bender is the type of player I count as having "made it". He had more than one contract, was in the regular rotation and the only reason he wasn't a 10+ year vet was injuries. 

I don't know if I agree with that.  Bender never lived up to they hype.  Sure, he made money but these NBA franchises throw it around like it is Halloween candy.  He was a bust.  That being said there are guys that spent 3+ years in the college ranks and dominated to fall by the wayside at the next level.  Some carved out decent NBA careers, some did not.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know if I agree with that.  Bender never lived up to they hype.  Sure, he made money but these NBA franchises throw it around like it is Halloween candy.  He was a bust.  That being said there are guys that spent 3+ years in the college ranks and dominated to fall by the wayside at the next level.  Some carved out decent NBA careers, some did not.

He might not have lived up to the hype, but without the knee injuries he would have had a 10+ year career and probably 3 or so contracts. As far as listing direct from high school guys as busts or making it, that’s making it. 

11 hours ago, SteveS said:

Had Bender gone to college he would never have made a dime because he would have been hurt the whole time.  Bust or not, he was able  to make enough money from the NBA to jumpstart his life.

Yes.  And that is exactly why I mentioned him.  We always talk about potential career ending injuries as to why a player should jump from college to the NBA, the same applies to H.S. to NBA decisions.

Archived