Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Lovie's seat at Illinois must be so hot he couldn't even be on the list.

I'm a Lovie fan from his Bears day. His buyout is still pretty high this year but even he understands he'll need to show something headed into year 4. At the very least signs that 6 wins is coming. It is funny his name wasn't even mentioned though. 

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a Lovie fan from his Bears day. His buyout is still pretty high this year but even he understands he'll need to show something headed into year 4. At the very least signs that 6 wins is coming. It is funny his name wasn't even mentioned though. 

By all accounts Lovie is a good guy and easy to root for,  but his seat has to be scalding.   He is 9-27 so far. 

Kevin Wilson won 10 games his first 3 years for a frame of reference.

1 minute ago, Andy06 said:

By all accounts Lovie is a good guy and easy to root for,  but his seat has to be scalding.   He is 9-27 so far. 

Kevin Wilson won 10 games his first 3 years for a frame of reference.

If you can imagine Lovie actually inherited a far worse situation. With that said in today's world no P5 school is immune from lack of patience by fans. Most of my friends growing up either went to Illinois or were fans of them. Apathy is at an all time high. Someone (Lovie or Underwood) needs to start winning soon. 

I might have found a new least favorite B1G coach now that Urban Meyer is gone.

In my opinion, PJ Fleck seems like a real snake oil salesman.

A recruit claimed PJ Fleck texted him every 30 minutes.  He also said he heard stories that Fleck would lock recruits in his office and turn over an hourglass and tell the recruit they only had that much time to commit.

Ihmir Smith Marsette committed to Minnesota only to change his mind and commit to Iowa 3 days later.

Noah Shannon committed to Minnesota and change his mind to commit to Iowa within a few weeks.

Those two guys look like they could have been pressured into a commitment they weren't comfortable with.

Minnesota just had 8 commitments in a 3 day stretch, so has he turned the pressure up even more?  It will be interesting to follow this year's class to see how many decommit.

Last year they had 8 decommits, the year before they also had 8 decommits, and they already have 2 this year.  His first year, he took over in early January, and after he was hired, they had 13 decommits that year.  Some could be new coaches, but some were much later in the year.

For reference, we have had 10 total over those three and a half years (2019, 2018, 2017), and 3 of those 10 ended up recommitting to IU.

I've heard a few other minor stories that add up to look bad.  Fleck just seems extremely sleazy from what I have been able to find.

15 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I might have found a new least favorite B1G coach now that Urban Meyer is gone.

In my opinion, PJ Fleck seems like a real snake oil salesman.

A recruit claimed PJ Fleck texted him every 30 minutes.  He also said he heard stories that Fleck would lock recruits in his office and turn over an hourglass and tell the recruit they only had that much time to commit.

Ihmir Smith Marsette committed to Minnesota only to change his mind and commit to Iowa 3 days later.

Noah Shannon committed to Minnesota and change his mind to commit to Iowa within a few weeks.

Those two guys look like they could have been pressured into a commitment they weren't comfortable with.

Minnesota just had 8 commitments in a 3 day stretch, so has he turned the pressure up even more?  It will be interesting to follow this year's class to see how many decommit.

Last year they had 8 decommits, the year before they also had 8 decommits, and they already have 2 this year.  His first year, he took over in early January, and after he was hired, they had 13 decommits that year.  Some could be new coaches, but some were much later in the year.

For reference, we have had 10 total over those three and a half years (2019, 2018, 2017), and 3 of those 10 ended up recommitting to IU.

I've heard a few other minor stories that add up to look bad.  Fleck just seems extremely sleazy from what I have been able to find.

Very good friend of mine is pretty dialed in the football world. He's an Illini grad/fan but some of the stories he's shared privately about Fleck is unreal. I won't be sharing but let's just say you are dead on in your assessment of Fleck. Really, really strange dude.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Very good friend of mine is pretty dialed in the football world. He's an Illini grad/fan but some of the stories he's shared privately about Fleck is unreal. I won't be sharing but let's just say you are dead on in your assessment of Fleck. Really, really strange dude.

Why won't you be sharing?  C'mon man!!!!!!  LOL

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Why won't you be sharing?  C'mon man!!!!!!  LOL

First and foremost. I think he checks this board every once in awhile. Secondly...when it comes to stories involving players/coaches,etc....and stories that are kind of true but not completely there's always a chance of getting in trouble. Just like with all social media posts there's people watching. 

Wasn't sure where to put this because he's a 2022 kid. But anyone know about Brady Allen from near Evansville? My buddy watched him yesterday at some camp in Springfield, Illinois. Kid is the real deal. 6'5 pro style qb....all the footwork and mechanics are WAY ahead of schedule for kids his age. Looks like ND and Ohio St have had visits from him. One can dream he ends up a Hoosier, right?

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Where is all this Nebraska love coming from? I know they’ll be better but winning the west? I don’t see it. 

I don't get it either.  They won 4 games last year, all at home...Minnesota, Bethune Cookman, Illinois, and Michigan State.

One thing that will help is their schedule.  Pretty lucky draw of crossover games with IU, OSU, and @Maryland.  They also get Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern at home with Illinois, PU, and Minnesota on the road.  Having OSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin at home which might be their 3 toughest games has to be a big help.

Iowa has @Mich, MSU, and Rutgers as crossover games.  Wisconsin has Michigan, @OSU, and MSU.

I still wouldn't pick them to win the west though.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Because even though they’ve improved, they’re not ahead of Iowa/Wisky/NW yet. I think they should be higher than Nebraska. 

The west will be interesting to follow.  It seems to be pretty open this year.  Everybody expects NW to be down, Purdue lost a decent amount of important players, so will they stay around 6 wins or make a jump forward, will Nebraska make the leap everyone is predicting, will Minnesota improve towards that upper level, will Wisconsin's crossover schedule knock them down, will Iowa be Iowa?  At least one of those teams will make a push and win 7 or 8 conference games, but I feel like it is anybody's guess on which one it will be.

I'll echo the thoughts of others. Where and why is Nebraska getting all of this love from? Even the IndyStar guy picked them. Must have been some secret memo passed around a week or two ago. West appears wide open. I'll say this though...if Harbaugh doesn't win the East this year when will he?

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

The west will be interesting to follow.  It seems to be pretty open this year.  Everybody expects NW to be down, Purdue lost a decent amount of important players, so will they stay around 6 wins or make a jump forward, will Nebraska make the leap everyone is predicting, will Minnesota improve towards that upper level, will Wisconsin's crossover schedule knock them down, will Iowa be Iowa?  At least one of those teams will make a push and win 7 or 8 conference games, but I feel like it is anybody's guess on which one it will be.

Purdue did lose some important players but that was mainly on offense. Running back is a concern as we lost two seniors and don’t have anyone proven. Lost the interior of our line too. I think a lot will depend on how much of an impact the touted freshmen (I’m thinking guys like Karlaftis, Bell, Faucheux, Graham, Wright) have in year 1. I definitely expect the defense to improve but there are some question marks on offense notably the line, Sindelar’s health, and who emerges at RB. But WR/TE should be a lethal combo. 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue did lose some important players but that was mainly on offense. Running back is a concern as we lost two seniors and don’t have anyone proven. Lost the interior of our line too. I think a lot will depend on how much of an impact the touted freshmen (I’m thinking guys like Karlaftis, Bell, Faucheux, Graham, Wright) have in year 1. I definitely expect the defense to improve but there are some question marks on offense notably the line, Sindelar’s health, and who emerges at RB. But WR/TE should be a lethal combo. 

Just going off of rushing numbers from the last 2 seasons, which for a QB isn't always the best indicator, Sindelar seems like he's less mobile than Blough was?  If the OL doesn't give him time, is he someone who can escape rushers much?  The OL will be really interesting to follow, and I agree that it looks to be the key to success for Purdue.  Moore is obviously amazing, but if they can't give Sindelar time, defenses can press Moore at the line and not worry as much about him beating them deep.  When he has time to get deep and makes DBs play off, he's almost unstoppable, but if teams could take away one option, they could maybe contain him a little.

The defense will be interesting too.  I would think they would have to improve at least some after last year.  Did the defense lose much or do most people return?

29 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Just going off of rushing numbers from the last 2 seasons, which for a QB isn't always the best indicator, Sindelar seems like he's less mobile than Blough was?  If the OL doesn't give him time, is he someone who can escape rushers much?  The OL will be really interesting to follow, and I agree that it looks to be the key to success for Purdue.  Moore is obviously amazing, but if they can't give Sindelar time, defenses can press Moore at the line and not worry as much about him beating them deep.  When he has time to get deep and makes DBs play off, he's almost unstoppable, but if teams could take away one option, they could maybe contain him a little.

The defense will be interesting too.  I would think they would have to improve at least some after last year.  Did the defense lose much or do most people return?

Oh Sindelar is significantly less mobile than Blough. Blough wasn’t Russell Wilson but he could maneuver in/out of the pocket very well. Sindelar is pretty stationary back there but has an absolute cannon. He has been prone to throwing picks though but can really sling it. OL has to be serviceable or Sindelar will struggle. 

Defense didn’t lose a ton but the biggest loss was Jacob Thienemann. I’m guessing probably 3 or 4 freshmen play on defense this year. Lorenzo Neal is crucial on the line but he’s recovering from an ACL injury. 

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think most football minds would tell you that without a strong O line, a team is in trouble. No running game. No time for the quarterback to throw.

Not that I am hoping that your team figures it out, but for your sake, you better hope that they do 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think most football minds would tell you that without a strong O line, a team is in trouble. No running game. No time for the quarterback to throw.

Not that I am hoping that your team figures it out, but for your sake, you better hope that they do 

I mean Purdue’s line has been average at best the last two years. Hazell left Brohm a pretty bare cupboard in terms of the OL. It’s getting better but is still a work in progress. Purdue has had a decent offense with an average line. Improving the line will only help open things up with the run game. 

Archived