Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean Purdue’s line has been average at best the last two years. Hazell left Brohm a pretty bare cupboard in terms of the OL. It’s getting better but is still a work in progress. Purdue has had a decent offense with an average line. Improving the line will only help open things up with the run game. 

The Boilers have a running game?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/18/2019 at 11:32 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

With Brohm, it will always be secondary to the passing game lol but I believe he had a decent running game when he was at WKU. 

It doesn't take a superb back to shine when downfield through the air is always such a manor threat..

That is also relevant with why I think IU will destroy teams regularly  if the line comes together, and a good efficient starting QB materializes.

There will be the problem of tackling Stevie Scott and Co. Good luck with that.Allen didnt even need to see him play in the Spring Gane. Downfiled passing with a great back is even better .Scott will be too much if he is fresh in the 4th.

I need to add containing the QB also comes in.

Whrn ai talk to people offline I get side eyed speaking on it.I just feel researched enough to know the general flexibility they are building for.

Really my "biggest worry" after both lines and the QB will be the Special Teams game and if they take mid and lower tier games with better effort. No excuses for allowing no passion against Purdue and others.Hiwever Michigan was crying jist a week before.Purdue was a "letdown" game and it never should have been.They need that UM game brutality every game .If so it is over.Write it down.

Not too worried there, either. It isnt hard to see coming and why some like me think 9 is real doable.I think it cones down to eating the more beatable lesser and similar teams for lunch, and IU has the dogs for that.Even if the losing legacy against the contenders remains elusive for another year.

2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

It doesn't take a superb back to shine when downfield through the air is always such a manor threat..

That is also relevant with why I think IU will destroy teams regularly  if the line comes together, and a good efficient starting QB materializes.

There will be the problem of tackling Stevie Scott and Co. Good luck with that.Allen didnt even need to see him play in the Spring Gane. Downfiled passing with a great back is even better .Scott will be too much if he is fresh in the 4th.

Whrn ai talk to people offline I get side eyed speaking on it.I just feel researched enough to know the general flexibility they are building for.

Really my "biggest worry" after both lines and the QB will be the Special Teams game and if they take mid and lower tier games with better effort. No excuses for allowing no passion against Purdue and others.Hiwever Michigan was crying jist a week before.Purdue was a "letdown" game and it never should have been.They need that UM game brutality every game .If so it is over.Write it down.

Not too worried there, either. It isnt hard to see coming and why some like me think 9 is real doable.I think it cones down to eating the more beatable lesser and similar teams for lunch, and IU has the dogs for that.Even if the losing legacy against the contenders remains elusive for another year.

I think having a less predictable offense will really help the OL. Also, we'll have much more experience than last year.

I feel like a QB has to step up. Penix was looking good before getting hurt last year, and people sounded really impressed with Tuttle in the spring. It seems really likely that one of them steps up.

I think Allen will oversee a lot of special teams work. Unfortunately Inge was a disaster last year. It seems like he's really well liked, but that area has to be better. Having better depth will help too. The long kickoff returns last year were killers. Add in that we can't return one to save our lives. That area can't be worse, and I expect decent improvement.

The area I worry about the most is the defense. I think they'll he much improved, but do we have the depth to hang with the too teams for 4 quarters? In the secondary, yes. But the DL has me worried about it's depth.

I could see this season being anywhere from 5 to 9 wins. If we knock somebody off and get confidence, we could really take off.

#9windiana

4 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

No idea how or why you could’ve had a let down game last year against Purdue seeing as how we had already taken the bucket back and once again both teams were playing for bowl eligibility. That’s on Allen of course and would be a concern if I was an IU fan. 9 wins seems extremely optimistic though. I’d probably guess more in the 5-7 range. 

Bucket game should be interesting this year. Purdue was clearly the better team each of the past 2 years with an inferior roster. This year, I think the rosters are more on par with one another. But at home, I like Purdue by 7-14. 

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No idea how or why you could’ve had a let down game last year against Purdue seeing as how we had already taken the bucket back and once again both teams were playing for bowl eligibility. That’s on Allen of course and would be a concern if I was an IU fan. 9 wins seems extremely optimistic though. I’d probably guess more in the 5-7 range. 

Bucket game should be interesting this year. Purdue was clearly the better team each of the past 2 years with an inferior roster. This year, I think the rosters are more on par with one another. But at home, I like Purdue by 7-14. 

I really have a lot of hope in this year for IU after hiring DeBoer, so I'm interested to see what he can do for the offense.  I think better play calling would be a big help with the team's energy.  I think Allen giving up DC duties will help with that too.  I think this year will be a much different Indiana team than what we had the last 2 seasons.

I think it is a huge stretch to think we could win 9 games, but we weren't far off from 7 last year (Minnesota and PU most likely, but stayed close with PSU and Mich too).  Everything would have to fall right to get to 9, but with a much better OC, a much better QB (assuming Penix or Tuttle), Allen handing off DC duties to an excellent coach who runs the same system, and a more experienced, deeper defense, 7+ is possible.

Having said that, being an IU fan, I know we'll win 5 or be lucky and get to 6 until we can prove otherwise.

20 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I really have a lot of hope in this year for IU after hiring DeBoer, so I'm interested to see what he can do for the offense.  I think better play calling would be a big help with the team's energy.  I think Allen giving up DC duties will help with that too.  I think this year will be a much different Indiana team than what we had the last 2 seasons.

I think it is a huge stretch to think we could win 9 games, but we weren't far off from 7 last year (Minnesota and PU most likely, but stayed close with PSU and Mich too).  Everything would have to fall right to get to 9, but with a much better OC, a much better QB (assuming Penix or Tuttle), Allen handing off DC duties to an excellent coach who runs the same system, and a more experienced, deeper defense, 7+ is possible.

Having said that, being an IU fan, I know we'll win 5 or be lucky and get to 6 until we can prove otherwise.

Good takes and I agree...damn, all I want is a bowl game.  Just a bowl game...is that too much to ask?

The next two seasons are interesting.  We have had our best two recruiting classes the past two years.  The talent is obvious but it’s still young.  I think DeBoer will help clean up some of the offensive issues.  I’m expecting him to be innovative. 

The concern at QB will be inexperience  if Penix or Tuttle wins the job as expected.  I like Ramsey’s attitude but the upside isn’t there.  The hope is that Penix or Tuttle wins the job and develops quickly from game action experience in the non conference.  If they both get some decent snaps, it will set us up nicely for the QB position in future years.  

Then next year, I have some concerns about having a young O line as we lose CC, SS, HL.  I think we are on track —but not there yet — where you have a roster every year with depth of talent everywhere and no glaring holes.  

By the way, I didn’t know where to tuck this, but did you guys notice Allen said Caleb Jones is starting this year and has looked good spring and summer?  That’s promising.  

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The next two seasons are interesting.  We have had our best two recruiting classes the past two years.  The talent is obvious but it’s still young.  I think DeBoer will help clean up some of the offensive issues.  I’m expecting him to be innovative. 

The concern at QB will be inexperience  if Penix or Tuttle wins the job as expected.  I like Ramsey’s attitude but the upside isn’t there.  The hope is that Penix or Tuttle wins the job and develops quickly from game action experience in the non conference.  If they both get some decent snaps, it will set us up nicely for the QB position in future years.  

Then next year, I have some concerns about having a young O line as we lose CC, SS, HL.  I think we are on track —but not there yet — where you have a roster every year with depth of talent everywhere and no glaring holes.  

By the way, I didn’t know where to tuck this, but did you guys notice Allen said Caleb Jones is starting this year and has looked good spring and summer?  That’s promising.  

I hadn't seen that about Jones, but after reading you say it, I looked up and Allen said it a couple days ago. He's a mountain of a man, so that's great to hear he's playing really well.

Here's a good article about Cronk and Bedford and the OL. Mentions Jones being penciled in as a starter going into fall camp. Cronk seems to have taken Bedford under his wing to mentor him. Ready a little more about things, I'm really excited about our OL this year. Experience, depth, emerging talent, less predictable OC.

I really think we need to get Penix and Tuttle as much experience as they can get. They're the future of the Indiana QB room, so the more time they get, they more they develop, the better they are in the future. I thought Penix was pulling even with Ramsey before getting hurt, so there isn't a huge risk with going with one of those guys. Can't wait to see them in action.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:38 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Fair enough but IU didnt have the system in place to take shots downfield, which is where you beat Purdue.I would say the Purdue bowl "game" confirmed that for us..I think it is on Allen and it should be.However, a coach either learns or they don't.Period. There is no excuse but that doesn't mean there isn't an explanation.

While players should not make excuses I think contextual accuracy js a big deal for fans analyzing gamestand teams. 

Both Purdue games vs Brohm were like the IU- Minny game in 2018 IMO, except Minnesota was better..You guys sure didn't pull away to win by 10-20 in either, so in fighting back, even too late, one could still consider that showing more heart than OSU closed with against Purdue last year.Purdue was showing no less effort for Indiana.

No, from all personal viewing and reports the Michigan game was brutal.In more ways than one.Not only in it's physicality, but also the mental aspect since it confirmed there would be no breakthrough as of yet vs the league powers.Yes it is on the coach to get guys back up .Yes it is the rival school on the rise and the battle for influence but IU might be so locked in on the larger(beat contenders) goal that games like Purdue have a chance to get away..Allen has Indiana kids but he has gone to the South a lot for talent. Do these kids understand the rivalry yet? Begs the question and it is relevant although no Indiana native coach at IU should ever allow a lapse against the Boilermakers to be the case.

Allen is no longer the DC and it was IU's offense that cost them most vs Purdue.They were pretty lsitless at times.Motivationcis what Allen does best but those guys just did not look ready to run someone over like the week prior.  It is on video recording to be found .The IU D while mostly underwhelming, still made late stops.  .Was the UM game maybe more toll than you are factoring into your cinsieration.That is what I have considered and yes that is convenient. Ever since you asked what I think gives IU a chance to win moving forward vs Brohm ...well you have saw it. That would be a respectable defense..

Now we just appear set to have a little more out of both sides of the ball for a change compared to recent memory.I get how long it has been since a team actually had to take IU seriously on both sides of the football in all phases(Run Pass and QB run) .I mean it has been 30 years since beating UM or OSU). Nobody takes IU seriously and that works in the favor of a motivated group with ability and will power. Also a team with new found balance and multiplicity . All I am saying and it takes balance to beat balance.A one sided gimmick team .It takes playing hard and smart on D.IU hadnt done much of either vs Purdue early on or those would have had a chance to be a pair of IU comeback wins.Instead IU is looking at losing the Bucket 3 times in a row rigbt after winning 3.

In the same thought, I almost feel that had Indiana got beat by 20 or 30 at UM, I think IU would have absolutely gotten up for Purdue. Since their toughness would be being questioned with a game left it might have moved the effort needle a bit higher..When you find that out vs the rival in the finale, not much you can do to fix the impression you failed to show up - from the couch.

However that was not the case and save for a few whiny UM players and fans , there were perhaps too many pats on the back being given out for IU being gritty...when they lost.Period. If so that also should not be the case,IMO.Also on the coach..

I just think the idea Purdue would ever take their foot off the gas if they had a chance to blow IU away is horse sense.If they were ingerior and they have one good side of the ball what I wajt to knw is how does Purdue stop a team that should be capable of winning either passing, running, or with defense? Purdue did everything they could to hold in to thoee 7 point wins.IU just started too late and that was an IU problem and as much to do with playing down to Pyrdue as Purdue playing well. 

The first game vs Brohm was likely too much comfort holding the bucket for 3 years.

We will see about 2 TDs but I wish Purdue luck when they realize IU actually has a downfield QB and happens to be mobile for a change. Just admit they aren't used to that and nor is the B1G out of Indiana.I admit I am not used to it as a fan, and unless someone has some research I have failed to do the best thing Pyrdue can take from that is they get to see it 11 times on someone else before it is their turn.

Lets see. When was the las tine IU had a solid defense and a decent to good offense.Last time Iooked, that would be the Independence bowl VT loss in Mallory's final bowl season as a coach.

No I feel this will be much closer to how 2015 might have been had Allen showed up a year sooner.-as far as being a more complete team. 2019 will exceed the 2105 team in terms of depth.from Day 1. Even it the line is flawed having to contain the QB is not automatic.IU is actually deep at QB as well...And say Sindelar goes down again ..How do you guys stay within 3 scores? 

This is not a knock on Purdue. I think both teams to walk into the Bucket game bowl eligible this time. I predict Indiana wins , something I gave less chance of last season due to Debord just being inferior to Brohm at making in game adjustments.Do you really think you guys will be seeing Ramsey or Lagow out there again by the time the game rolls around 😆.

Edit.Yes I did start and stop this a few times since Im hanging out with my kid.That is why it looks like a few posts in one.I wasnt going to let you off easy with a 2 TD prediction, Boiler.Lol

Whether I agree or not doesn't matter but I noticed Virginia is getting picked by several outlets to win the Coastal in ACC. Very underrated win for us there last year. Just throwing a comment out there. We tend to focus on the L's instead of building off the W's. 

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Whether I agree or not doesn't matter but I noticed Virginia is getting picked by several outlets to win the Coastal in ACC. Very underrated win for us there last year. Just throwing a comment out there. We tend to focus on the L's instead of building off the W's. 

Thst was a good win! The ACC is soooo weak tho Clemson walks to the playoffs every year. Also the SEC having to play one less conference game is a huge advantage as well. The BIG of course does themselves no favors and loads up all the best teams in one division and now we can’t get anybody in. SMH!

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Thst was a good win! The ACC is soooo weak tho Clemson walks to the playoffs every year. Also the SEC having to play one less conference game is a huge advantage as well. The BIG of course does themselves no favors and loads up all the best teams in one division and now we can’t get anybody in. SMH!

Yep, the ACC needs Miami, FSU, and Va Tech to step it up.

6 hours ago, rico said:

Yep, the ACC needs Miami, FSU, and Va Tech to step it up.

Canes are well on their way back. Finally Miami has a South Florida guy in Manny Diaz. Huge recruiting classes. Richt could have done the same but he refused to bench the QB that sucked for 2 years.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Canes are well on their way back. Finally Miami has a South Florida guy in Manny Diaz. Huge recruiting classes. Richt could have done the same but he refused to bench the QB that sucked for 2 years.

The 'Canes are a basketball school...LOL

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok, so does this affect IU recruiting? Allen and IU would certainly not appear to benefit from it just going solely off your post for info.

In the same thought would you perceive Allen as having a chance to actually build an edge, perhaps even gain footing in Florida more specifically Southern Florida by winning big right now? 

The way I see things at some point if you start convincing better and better kids to commit and then win, sooner or later you are in Miami or Florida or FSUs, even SEC schools in general- "their turf" going after "their players" anyway.

Don't get me wrong.Even the slightest odds of eventually frustrating the powerhouse schools Allen could inevitably cross paths with makes me giddy because I am no ACC nor SEC fan. Sorry for bringing IU into this, but hard to separate any South Florida tie-in and sone effect on/with Allen, if not now then at some point at least in recruiting the area..

If this new coach is in the habit of doing things different fron Richt doesn't it mean giving kids a chance who might not have in general or is Diaz just after bigger fish than Allen is able to bait with anything IU has until they win more? Sounds as if "because it's Miami" may be back to a thing soon.Hard to see anyone getting in on them if they're good 

On the other hnad, have kids like for examples Hale and Philyor as well as some of Allen's other regional players rip it up in the B1G and nationally......and who knows .It isn't so far out, and could in fact be quite close.

8 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Ok, so does this affect IU recruiting? Allen and IU would certainly not appear to benefit from it just going solely off your post for info.

In the same thought would you perceive Allen as having a chance to actually build an edge, perhaps even gain footing in Florida more specifically Southern Florida by winning big right now? 

The way I see things at some point if you start convincing better and better kids to commit and then win, sooner or later you are in Miami or Florida or FSUs, even SEC schools in general- "their turf" going after "their players" anyway.

Don't get me wrong.Even the slightest odds of eventually frustrating the powerhouse schools Allen could inevitably cross paths with makes me giddy because I am no ACC nor SEC fan. Sorry for bringing IU into this, but hard to separate any South Florida tie-in and sone effect on/with Allen, if not now then at some point at least in recruiting the area..

If this new coach is in the habit of doing things different fron Richt doesn't it mean giving kids a chance who might not have in general or is Diaz just after bigger fish than Allen is able to bait with anything IU has until they win more? Sounds as if "because it's Miami" may be back to a thing soon.Hard to see anyone getting in on them if they're good 

Was just making a comment about IU's best win last year was vs an up and coming Virginia team that is being picked to win ACC Coastal this year. Nothing else. In terms of how it impacts recruiting....any win against good teams should be highlighted.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was just making a comment about IU's best win last year was vs an up and coming Virginia team that is being picked to win ACC Coastal this year. Nothing else. In terms of how it impacts recruiting....any win against good teams should be highlighted.

Oh, but it was actual fact with Diaz taking over at Miami.Eyebrow raised at the supposed changes he brings viewed as positives.However kind of inextricble links talking Southern Florida and IU hitting the state hard under Allen.Come on Seeking.You know I read in too far :)  That just happened and so did coffee.

Also want to apologize for the editing. I'm on a mobile phone and it has serious issues. 

7 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Oh, but it was actual fact with Diaz taking over at Miami.Eyebrow raised at the supposed changes he brings viewed as positives.However kind of inextricble links talking Southern Florida and IU hitting the state hard under Allen.Come on Seeking.You know I read in too far :)  That just happened and so did coffee.

Also want to apologize for the editing. I'm on a mobile phone and it has serious issues. 

All good on my end! I'm on cup 3 and still working out the webs. I really, really like what Allen has done in Florida. He's been pulling a few kids each class with offers from the big boys. Eventually the upswing in talent has to produce 6-7 win seasons every year.

JBlaz, as much as I am happy with Allen's recruiting in Florida, I don't think we will get many kids that the U really wants and prioritizes.  I'd think we'd bat like 10% or less on that.  You could find a stray kid here and there who wants to leave the area or has a connection to IU.  

Having said that, Florida has so much talent that it's absurd.

Indiana high school football is on a massive upswing.  I have been saying it for years but you can't compare it to when I was a kid in the 1980s.  

But, kind of like Indiana in basketball, Florida football is crazy loaded.  A three star there may be a four star in Indiana.  It's just smart to keep pounding away on the recruits down there.  It's an embarrassment of riches.  We obviously have a great pipeline into the Tampa region but South Florida and North Florida too.

I'd have no problem with us hitting Texas harder on top of Florida.  Ohio will always be a mainstay for us.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

JBlaz, as much as I am happy with Allen's recruiting in Florida, I don't think we will get many kids that the U really wants and prioritizes.  I'd think we'd bat like 10% or less on that.  You could find a stray kid here and there who wants to leave the area or has a connection to IU.  

Having said that, Florida has so much talent that it's absurd.

Indiana high school football is on a massive upswing.  I have been saying it for years but you can't compare it to when I was a kid in the 1980s.  

But, kind of like Indiana in basketball, Florida football is crazy loaded.  A three star there may be a four star in Indiana.  It's just smart to keep pounding away on the recruits down there.  It's an embarrassment of riches.  We obviously have a great pipeline into the Tampa region but South Florida and North Florida too.

I'd have no problem with us hitting Texas harder on top of Florida.  Ohio will always be a mainstay for us.

It really is crazy how many football players come from Florida. In last year's class, 3 of the top 10 were from Florida, 8 of the top 50, 13 of the top 100, and 26 of the top 200.  On 247, Sanguinetti is listed as our 11th highest rated recruit since they started rankings, and he was 50th in the state of Florida last year.  I'm not too worried about Miami.  There are so many kids down there, I think there's plenty to go around.  The state has almost 150 kids listed in the top 1000 in the country each year.

Like you said too, how many kids get overlooked because of the surrounding talent.  If you're a really good talent playing with a lot of great talent, you won't stand out and could get rated lower.

• 4 weeks later...

Admittedly I didn't get to see him play in high school. Anyone have any insight on Brandon Peters? Former Mr Indiana from Avon....was at Michigan and transferred to Illinois. Lovie named him starter. Was curious....were we ever involved with him? Good/bad or anything on him?

Archived