Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I would like to thank purdue for me being tired this morning. Well worth it. As a former Reno resident, it was good to see them take out purdue.

I'm watching it now and really enjoying it.  I think my favorite thing so far (almost to half time) was when they had 2 of the same number on a punt return and went from a touchback to their own 1 on the re-kick.  Then went 3 and out and gave up a touchdown.  How do you have 2 of the same number on the field at the same time in the 2nd quarter of the first game?  It wasn't like a handful of injuries happened and a new guy on special teams slipped through.  And, the two same numbers were #4.  Why would you let anybody else besides Moore be #4 when he is your best player and plays on offense and special teams.  That was some terrible coaching that cost them big time.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm watching it now and really enjoying it.  I think my favorite thing so far (almost to half time) was when they had 2 of the same number on a punt return and went from a touchback to their own 1 on the re-kick.  Then went 3 and out and gave up a touchdown.  How do you have 2 of the same number on the field at the same time in the 2nd quarter of the first game?  It wasn't like a handful of injuries happened and a new guy on special teams slipped through.  And, the two same numbers were #4.  Why would you let anybody else besides Moore be #4 when he is your best player and plays on offense and special teams.  That was some terrible coaching that cost them big time.

Let me know when you get to the end of the game when they somehow deemed that Purdue didn’t intercept the ball in the end zone which would’ve sealed it. They called it an incomplete pass when he had control and he wasn’t out of bounds. Atrocious call. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Let me know when you get to the end of the game when they somehow deemed that Purdue didn’t intercept the ball in the end zone which would’ve sealed it. They called it an incomplete pass when it never hit the ground and he wasn’t out of bounds. 

Already saw a replay of it, and it seemed 50/50, but I admittedly only saw the replay a couple times.  I would have stood with whatever was called on the field.  I don't know what that call was, so if it got overturned against Purdue, I would agree with you.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Already saw a replay of it, and it seemed 50/50, but I admittedly only saw the replay a couple times.  I would have stood with whatever was called on the field.  I don't know what that call was, so if it got overturned against Purdue, I would agree with you.

It was called incomplete on the field. Don’t agree with it at all but we never should’ve put ourselves in that position in the first place. 

Another thing I absolutely hate seeing coaches do that Brohm did was letting the kicking team line up before calling a TO.  They let them get set before calling it so the kicker got off a practice kick.  This is far from something only something Brohm has done, but there's a good chance that cost them too.  I hate it when coaches do that.  If you're going to ice the guy, do it 3 seconds earlier, and they won't be able to get a practice kick off.

11 hours ago, madmax said:

Last night...that freshman probably had more girls on him than my entire 4 years of college lol. What a kick..what a game! He probably got hit harder by his own teammates tackling him than he has in his whole football career. I won't feel sorry for my Purdue fans...tired of hearing about Brohm walking on water...I will say it's been a horrible week for Indiana football...first Andrew Luck and then this. Wow!

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Another thing I absolutely hate seeing coaches do that Brohm did was letting the kicking team line up before calling a TO.  They let them get set before calling it so the kicker got off a practice kick.  This is far from something only something Brohm has done, but there's a good chance that cost them too.  I hate it when coaches do that.  If you're going to ice the guy, do it 3 seconds earlier, and they won't be able to get a practice kick off.

I completely agree. I get the concept of icing the kicker, but giving a practice shot is an advantage for the kicker. 

I saw on twitter that the excuse was the altitude. 

Does anyone one have numbers on coaches salary vs wins? Brohm looks like an absolute genius. 

I had a a PU fan tell me IU had a high school coach last year. I explained that Allen hadn’t actually been a high school coach in a few years. He still said he was a high school coach. Oops. 

D6522023-87BB-49E0-991C-557728CD79A4.jpeg

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

I saw on twitter that the excuse was the altitude. 

Does anyone one have numbers on coaches salary vs wins? Brohm looks like an absolute genius. 

I had a a PU fan tell me IU had a high school coach last year. I explained that Allen hadn’t actually been a high school coach in a few years. He still said he was a high school coach. Oops. 

D6522023-87BB-49E0-991C-557728CD79A4.jpeg

We really going to compare what Brohm inherited versus what Allen inherited? Talk about a night and day difference. We had to pay Brohm big bucks to come fix the dumpster fire Hazell left behind. 

Altitude was certainly part of it but the biggest issue was turnovers. 2 awful muffed punts, a bad fumble, and 2 picks. The incorrect ruling of an incomplete pass/interception that would’ve sealed it hurt too.  

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Let me know when you get to the end of the game when they somehow deemed that Purdue didn’t intercept the ball in the end zone which would’ve sealed it. They called it an incomplete pass when he had control and he wasn’t out of bounds. Atrocious call. 

Only a purdue fan would think he intercepted the ball.

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We really going to compare what Brohm inherited versus what Allen inherited? Talk about a night and day difference. We had to pay Brohm big bucks to come fix the dumpster fire Hazell left behind. 

Altitude was certainly part of it but the biggest issue was turnovers. 2 awful muffed punts, a bad fumble, and 2 picks. The incorrect ruling of an incomplete pass/interception that would’ve sealed it hurt too.  

I’m not comparing what each coach inherited. I really think Brohm will be solid, but I will absolutely laugh at how much he is paid. 

I’m assuming PU fans laugh at the recent numbers that showed how much IU baskets has spent recruiting. That doesn’t mean they think Crean left a great reputation with high school coaches. 

The punt recovery off off the helmet was a fluke, but Moore made a bad decision on the other. I didn’t see how the incomplete/interception could have been overturned no matter how it was originally called. 

4 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I’m not comparing what each coach inherited. I really think Brohm will be solid, but I will absolutely laugh at how much he is paid. 

I’m assuming PU fans laugh at the recent numbers that showed how much IU baskets has spent recruiting. That doesn’t mean they think Crean left a great reputation with high school coaches. 

The punt recovery off off the helmet was a fluke, but Moore made a bad decision on the other. I didn’t see how the incomplete/interception could have been overturned no matter how it was originally called. 

I agree that he’s making a lot of money but did Purdue really have the option to let him walk? You let him walk and you halt all of the progress that had been made. We went cheap in the past when we hired Danny Hope after not capitalizing on the success of Joe Tiller. It was a bad move. 

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I agree that he’s making a lot of money but did Purdue really have the option to let him walk? You let him walk and you halt all of the progress that had been made. We went cheap in the past when we hired Danny Hope after not capitalizing on the success of Joe Tiller. It was a bad move. 

It’s horrible for PU fans that Brohm had his players build a big lead only for Hazel to have his team blow it. 

I think the decision was made based on the idea that Brohm fixed everything without considering the possibility that things were so bad almost anyone could have fixed them. 

19 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

It’s horrible for PU fans that Brohm had his players build a big lead only for Hazel to have his team blow it. 

I think the decision was made based on the idea that Brohm fixed everything without considering the possibility that things were so bad almost anyone could have fixed them. 

Don’t agree that folks assumed he fixed everything. With how bad it was, we knew it’d take years to recover. But he’s brought fans back a lot quicker than most would’ve anticipated, recruiting has never been better, and he’s overachieved his first two years. Would’ve been dumb to let him walk. 

49 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't know how bad Idaho is, but man...Penn State looks really, really good.

Idaho as late as Aug 21, was predicted to finish in 8th place, in a 13 team Big Sky Conference.  By the way, the University of Northern Colorado out of Greeley, Colorado, was predicted to finish last.

Big Sky football preview 2019: Top-heavy conference should make for crowded title race 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Idaho as late as Aug 21, was predicted to finish in 8th place, in a 13 team Big Sky Conference.  By the way, the University of Northern Colorado out of Greeley, Colorado, was predicted to finish last.

Big Sky football preview 2019: Top-heavy conference should make for crowded title race 

79-7...wow...Penn State is going to be a load for the Big Ten this year.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

79-7...wow...Penn State is going to be a load for the Big Ten this year.

Ha. Ha.  Just think what the score would have been.  Had Penn State scheduled the University of Northern Colorado !  Team predicted to finish last in the Big Sky.  LOL

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Nice to see the Six Million Dollar Man blow a game against Reno Community High School. :coffee:

First time in Purdue history. They might start understanding the concept of paying $ and dealing with the backlash. Top 15 money shouldn't blow a 24 point lead. Again. So Purdue.

I think it's extremely difficult to project ANYTHING about nearly any team from the first game of the season.  In 2013 IU beat ISU 73-35 in the opening game and failed to make a bowl.  Last year Purdue lost the first three and still made a bowl.

Whether it's IU winning a closer than comfortable one against Ball State, Purdue giving up a big lead to Nevada, or Penn State or Maryland blowing out their opponent, I'm not putting too much stock into the results this week.

Archived