Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

4 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

In my opinion the SEC gets a huge lift from Alabama, who - along with Clemson - are in a league of their own.  Take Alabama out of the SEC, and the perception goes down substantially.  I think the SEC and Big Ten are very equal top to bottom otherwise.

The SEC also gets a big lift in perception from ESPN.

To me there's only about 3-4 programs who can replace and or compete with Bama and Clemson. As a Canes fan I'm obviously biased but anyone who has followed college football knows and understands Miami can be Miami again once they hired the guy. Manny Diaz is the guy. USC...again because of tradition and recruiting could be in that category if they ever decided to compete again. Lastly I still think Ohio St can be another program. 

Otherwise....until Saban retires and Dabo stays at Clemson until Saban retires it's going to be those 2 in Final 4 every year until another program or two steps up. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

To me there's only about 3-4 programs who can replace and or compete with Bama and Clemson. As a Canes fan I'm obviously biased but anyone who has followed college football knows and understands Miami can be Miami again once they hired the guy. Manny Diaz is the guy. USC...again because of tradition and recruiting could be in that category if they ever decided to compete again. Lastly I still think Ohio St can be another program. 

Otherwise....until Saban retires and Dabo stays at Clemson until Saban retires it's going to be those 2 in Final 4 every year until another program or two steps up. 

Florida is in that group before Miami is... but I do think Miami is in that group. I would include Oklahoma as well though. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Florida is in that group before Miami is... but I do think Miami is in that group. I would include Oklahoma as well though. 

Florida? They aren't even in the air that Miami is with the right coach. I'd put Florida St (again with right coach) ahead of Florida. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Florida? They aren't even in the air that Miami is with the right coach. I'd put Florida St (again with right coach) ahead of Florida. 

That's insane lol UF played awful and just beat Miami. Since the Mid 90s UF has the 2nd most national championships. Not in the same air? Eeesh.. we're going to have to disagree there man. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's insane lol UF played awful and just beat Miami. Since the Mid 90s UF has the 2nd most national championships. Not in the same air? Eeesh.. we're going to have to disagree there man. 

Recruiting in Florida goes in cycles more than any other state in the country. Right now....and I'm not sure how closely you follow....Florida isn't in the same air. No other way to say it. Yes...Florida beat them last week. Canes also have 3 frosh Oline starters with a QB who was 1-3 for 17 yards last year. Point is this. Canes are extremely young and coming. The elite South Florida talent is starting to stay home (check recruiting rankings)  and not head to Bama....so the early signals are all pointing to Coral Gables.

In terms of history. Canes are still the Canes. Bama run they are on now is just now entering what Canes did from 83-92....and if it wasn't for a BCS model and aTerry Porter call the Canes would have run off 3 titles in a row from 00-02 instead of just 1. 

Florida and Urban won 2 titles because of 1 guy. Kudos to them but that's their only real run. Spurrier was great (and I'm a fan) but 1 title only. Gators haven't had the "it" factor for about a decade. Mullen isn't the guy to bring it back. 

Good conversation though. I don't get to talk Florida high school and college football talk much. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Recruiting in Florida goes in cycles more than any other state in the country. Right now....and I'm not sure how closely you follow....Florida isn't in the same air. No other way to say it. Yes...Florida beat them last week. Canes also have 3 frosh Oline starters with a QB who was 1-3 for 17 yards last year. Point is this. Canes are extremely young and coming. The elite South Florida talent is starting to stay home (check recruiting rankings)  and not head to Bama....so the early signals are all pointing to Coral Gables.

In terms of history. Canes are still the Canes. Bama run they are on now is just now entering what Canes did from 83-92....and if it wasn't for a BCS model and aTerry Porter call the Canes would have run off 3 titles in a row from 00-02 instead of just 1. 

Florida and Urban won 2 titles because of 1 guy. Kudos to them but that's their only real run. Spurrier was great (and I'm a fan) but 1 title only. Gators haven't had the "it" factor for about a decade. Mullen isn't the guy to bring it back. 

Good conversation though. I don't get to talk Florida high school and college football talk much. 

He didn't win his first because of Tebowm 

33 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Maryland scores again...49-13 over #21 Syracuse

I'm in a weekly pickem contest and couldn't find one person who thought Maryland would win. Pretty big win for Locksley out of the gates at Maryland. Despite some personal issues the guy can recruit and if he gets a good staff they could be back in short order.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm in a weekly pickem contest and couldn't find one person who thought Maryland would win. Pretty big win for Locksley out of the gates at Maryland. Despite some personal issues the guy can recruit and if he gets a good staff they could be back in short order.

This Maryland team appears to be a bit more mature, and early on at least, doing decent with  handling some success.

Locksley didn't exactly inherit a bad situation from a talent standpoint either.

Archived