Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Correct because people can make any stat look like what they want to see.

So you're saying that statistical based approaches need to be balanced with real life results in order to paint an accurate picture? ;)

There's actually a good analyst buried in you somewhere. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

So you're saying that statistical based approaches need to be balanced with real life results in order to paint an accurate picture? ;)

There's actually a good analyst buried in you somewhere. 

I just look at my old school stats and not the new analytics stats.

Basketball- points for and against, shooting percentage, assists and rebounds

Baseball- Average, HR, RBI's, ERA, K"S to Walks

Football- points for and against, rushing and passing yards and percentages

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know that.  What I'm telling you (and coming from me, it's a compliment), is that you have the right mentality to use advanced metrics effectively if you wanted.  You know that no statistic or model in and of itself is perfect.  That's the big first step that a lot of people can't grasp. 

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

College football on Friday nights. Smh

Tough one for sure. It's strange for so many things the Big 10 and BTN do right this is one I struggle to find the benefit of doing....especially as kids near end of season/senior nights,etc....

I have 2 good friends who wanted to see Ohio St up close last night in Evanston. Couldn't go because of high school football games/coaching obligations. I know it's a very small number but I think most fans would agree Friday nights should be left alone.

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually, I just noticed something, and it was in this very thread. You're actually more analytical than you give yourself credit for.

"I only look at my old school stats....Points for and points against"

Earlier, you were differentiating between points allowed vs defensive points allowed. In a way, you even invented your own metric. With an opponent starting a drive deep in Indiana's defense, they forced an immediate 3 and out, holding them to 3 points vs 7. The 3 points were technically points allowed by the defense, but you made the case (and a very legitimate one, IMO) that those 3 points can be looked at differently, given the circumstances.

You didn't quantify it as such, but you were essentially saying that although the defense gave up 3, they also saved 4. You just created your own advanced metric: defensive points saved (or whatever, just a theoretical example).

Even your list above uses a 2nd level metric: Strikeouts-to-walks. Not just strikeouts, not just walks, but the ratio of one to the other. I'm willing to bet that you've also looked at things like batting average with runners in scoring position or completion percentage in the 4th quarter.

I'm telling you, you already have the mentality and marginal thinking that the better analysts in whatever industry share. You may not even realize it about yourself, but you do.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I never want to hear another word from PU fans about officiating.  On 4th and 2, their DT jumped across, head first into the center and knocked him over backwards.  They called it a false start on Iowa.  Biggest joke of a call I've ever seen in my life.

Yes sir! Purdont was clearly gifted those 3 points!

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I never want to hear another word from PU fans about officiating.  On 4th and 2, their DT jumped across, head first into the center and knocked him over backwards.  They called it a false start on Iowa.  Biggest joke of a call I've ever seen in my life.

I’m guessing you missed the “fumble” they called against Purdue in the first quarter. Was clearly forward progress and should’ve been blown dead. Bad calls have gone both ways. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m guessing you missed the “fumble” they called against Purdue in the first quarter. Was clearly forward progress and should’ve been blown dead. Bad calls have gone both ways. 

Just stop.  Go find me a screenshot of his knee being down with the ball and I'll agree with you, but there wasn't any clear fumble before he was down.  Even the announcers said they thought he might be down but they couldn't see from any of the angles.  It clearly wasn't a cut and dried down before the fumble.  And that was not forward progress.

The offsides was pathetic.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Just stop.  Go find me a screenshot of his knee being down with the ball and I'll agree with you, but there wasn't any clear fumble before he was down.  Even the announcers said they thought he might be down but they couldn't see from any of the angles.  It clearly wasn't a cut and dried down before the fumble.  And that was not forward progress.

The offsides was pathetic.

Regardless, Purdue held their own today against a formidable opponent. Bell is a star in the making. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Regardless, Purdue held their own today against a formidable opponent. Bell is a star in the making. 

They did play much better than I expected.  It will be interesting to follow what Iowa does from here on out.  Their defense is solid, their offense is suspect, and their overall team is ???  Their season could still go either way from this point on.

Bell is looking real, real good.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

They did play much better than I expected.  It will be interesting to follow what Iowa does from here on out.  Their defense is solid, their offense is suspect, and their overall team is ???  Their season could still go either way from this point on.

Bell is looking real, real good.

I’m excited for Rondale to come back and team up with Bell. Defense has improved too IMO.

But yeah I agree re Iowa. I think they were fortunate to win today against a depleted Purdue team. 

Archived