Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'll be rooting for UM next week. Ridiculous the Irish aren't in a conference. I do not care about their traditions.. their schedule is awful. 

Yep. I cheer for Michigan 2x per year and next week will be one of them....although I found myself pulling for them last night. Just won't ever be able to cheer for Penn St or their school ever again. In any sport. 

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

The Penn State touchdown wasn’t pass interference, that happens on almost every play like that, he didn’t extend the arms, which is what usually gets an offensive PI. Are you talking about the final 4th and 3 where the Michigan kid dropped the TD?

There were good and bad calls both ways. On Michigan’s last touchdown drive the entire thing was set up by a 30+ yard screen play that was opened up by two blatant Michigan holds right in front of the ref that didn’t get called. And on the 4th down QB sneak on that drive there was no evidence he ever crossed the goal line. 

I thought the refs were solid overall, both teams had some bad calls go for the, and against them, but in no way did it seem like PSU got home cooking. I do think PSUcwas lucky to get out of there with a win. Michigan dominated the line of scrimmage, but PSU made plays when they needed them and Michigan made a lot of mistakes. 

Again, I don't agree at all with you on the two plays in question.  The Penn State receiver clearly created considerable separation by pushing off on the touchdown catch and no, the 4th down non-call was not in the end zone. Replay showed the defender making significant contact just before the ball arrived.  Again, both replays were pretty clear and it was obvious the announcers felt calls were missed.  This all happened when Penn State was rolling up a 21-point lead and I don't think there's much question, they had a little help getting there.  Sure, it's possible that other calls missed were in Michigan's favor, but those two stood out to me as early calls that helped Penn State's momentum.

If I cared enough about this game, I'd attempt to hunt up the video and show you exactly what I'm talking about, but at this point, I'll be satisfied to respectfully disagree and get back to IU basketball, which I'm much more interested in.

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

Michigan dominated the last 2 and a half quarters of that game. 

In all honesty Purdue kind of did too against Penn St after going down like 28-0. They toughened up and really played even if not better than Penn St the rest of the way. If I’m penn st I’m worried I can’t play 4 quarters.

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'll be rooting for UM next week. Ridiculous the Irish aren't in a conference. I do not care about their traditions.. their schedule is awful. 

Que @rico lol. They play Clemson next year. Honestly they’ve had good teams on their schedules...just right now USC, Stanford, and Michigan have under performed. Not too many non-sec power conferences have Georgia on their schedule or Clemson. My issue is they just haven’t won enough of those big games to get into the playoffs with the rest of the schedule. 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Again, I don't agree at all with you on the two plays in question.  The Penn State receiver clearly created considerable separation by pushing off on the touchdown catch and no, the 4th down non-call was not in the end zone. Replay showed the defender making significant contact just before the ball arrived.  Again, both replays were pretty clear and it was obvious the announcers felt calls were missed.  This all happened when Penn State was rolling up a 21-point lead and I don't think there's much question, they had a little help getting there.  Sure, it's possible that other calls missed were in Michigan's favor, but those two stood out to me as early calls that helped Penn State's momentum.

If I cared enough about this game, I'd attempt to hunt up the video and show you exactly what I'm talking about, but at this point, I'll be satisfied to respectfully disagree and get back to IU basketball, which I'm much more interested in.

I’ve watched the TD pass to the PSU tight end multiple time, there isn’t a ref that would ever call that pass interference on the offense. Both players were hand fighting, the PSU tight end did not extend his arms, etc. That is never called PI. 

But either way, there was no home cooking in that game. Pretty big calls were missed both ways, and pretty good calls were called against both teams. 

33 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Mid season mood 

B50777A8-79EC-430B-9CE1-6EC400026F96.jpeg

7CEFE686-176F-49DE-B37F-CF22A31E6E03.jpeg

Not sure why so many IU fans keep harping on how much money Brohm makes. Obviously this year hasn’t gone as planned but he’s recruiting at the highest level Purdue has ever had. Making 2 bowl games proves he knows what he’s doing. Purdue had to pony up to keep him. Letting him leave to go to UL wasn't an option. Not after he brought back Purdue from the dead. With the BTN money plus the significant increase in attendance, paying his salary isn’t going to be that difficult. Purdue finally made a legit commitment to their football program. Could it backfire? Of course. But I’ll take my chances with Brohm. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure why so many IU fans keep harping on how much money Brohm makes. Obviously this year hasn’t gone as planned but he’s recruiting at the highest level Purdue has ever had. Making 2 bowl games proves he knows what he’s doing. Purdue had to pony up to keep him. Letting him leave to go to UL wasn't an option. Not after he brought back Purdue from the dead. With the BTN money plus the significant increase in attendance, paying his salary isn’t going to be that difficult. Purdue finally made a legit commitment to their football program. Could it backfire? Of course. But I’ll take my chances with Brohm. 

6C0945F9-15F5-4A15-972F-3DD08CAC668C.gif

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think the reason it keeps coming up here is because PU fans have spent so long complaining about how they won’t spend money. When reports come out that show IU spends a lot without seeing the results we want, they go straight to jokes. This is just a funny way to show that it isn’t as simple as spend money, see results. 

It also shows how fans tend to see the big picture with their team but no other. I really doubt anyone on GBI is talking about how Archie is recruiting well. He gets some talent and they assume he’s in over his head. I don’t see how this is any different. 

39 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I think the reason it keeps coming up here is because PU fans have spent so long complaining about how they won’t spend money. When reports come out that show IU spends a lot without seeing the results we want, they go straight to jokes. This is just a funny way to show that it isn’t as simple as spend money, see results. 

It also shows how fans tend to see the big picture with their team but no other. I really doubt anyone on GBI is talking about how Archie is recruiting well. He gets some talent and they assume he’s in over his head. I don’t see how this is any different. 

All fair points. For the record I think Archie is a solid coach who is recruiting well. 

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure why so many IU fans keep harping on how much money Brohm makes? 

Such a rich comment. The very fan base that prides itself on being jealous of thinking just money is how IU has done things. I don't know. Seems a tad off. Purdue finally steps in the big end of the pool and now complains. It's almost like Illinois with Lovie. Fitting for both boys schools. 

I think a big reason people harp on how much Brohm makes is because for the last 2 years we heard about how amazing he was.  He could do no wrong, he was going to own IU forever, yada, yada, yada.  It is funny that he played Purdue into giving him a massive contract, and has turned in a crap showing so far this year.  Not that it will absolutely last, it could, but it is fun to laugh about for now.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think a big reason people harp on how much Brohm makes is because for the last 2 years we heard about how amazing he was.  He could do no wrong, he was going to own IU forever, yada, yada, yada.  It is funny that he played Purdue into giving him a massive contract, and has turned in a crap showing so far this year.  Not that it will absolutely last, it could, but it is fun to laugh about for now.

Fair points. Idk if “played” is the right term though. If Purdue didn’t pay him that massive contract, UL would’ve. It was a gamble but I think it had to be done. 

You’re right that it’s been a crap showing this year but how much of that was within his control? Sometimes you stay healthy and sometimes you’re snakebitten. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Will IU step in the big end of the pool for football? Curious what Allen’s next contract might look like. 

I think a big part of it will depend on how this year finishes.  We have really stepped it up the last 2 seasons with our assistants.  DeBoer was the 8th highest paid assistant in the conference when we hired him this spring.  All the coaches ahead of him were at OSU, Michigan, and Nebraska.  Our 2 strength and conditioning guys were offered by the Miami Dolphins this offseason, and we almost doubled their salaries to keep them.  They'd be in the top 20 nationally off of last year's list.

Allen is probably up for an extension after this year.  As long as we make a bowl, I would guess he'll be somewhere in the $3 millions with a lot of incentives to take that higher.  If we end up with 7 or 8 wins, he might be able to bump that up some.  I think Glass loves Allen, so an extra win or two would let him sell a bigger raise to the fan base.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think a big part of it will depend on how this year finishes.  We have really stepped it up the last 2 seasons with our assistants.  DeBoer was the 8th highest paid assistant in the conference when we hired him this spring.  All the coaches ahead of him were at OSU, Michigan, and Nebraska.  Our 2 strength and conditioning guys were offered by the Miami Dolphins this offseason, and we almost doubled their salaries to keep them.  They'd be in the top 20 nationally off of last year's list.

Allen is probably up for an extension after this year.  As long as we make a bowl, I would guess he'll be somewhere in the $3 millions with a lot of incentives to take that higher.  If we end up with 7 or 8 wins, he might be able to bump that up some.  I think Glass loves Allen, so an extra win or two would let him sell a bigger raise to the fan base.

Thanks for the reply. I deleted the comment as it may have come off a bit snarky which wasn’t my intention at all. My b!

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fair points. Idk if “played” is the right term though. If Purdue didn’t pay him that massive contract, UL would’ve. It was a gamble but I think it had to be done. 

You’re right that it’s been a crap showing this year but how much of that was within his control? Sometimes you stay healthy and sometimes you’re snakebitten. 

At what point does the strength staff come into question?  Some injuries are flukes, but there are a lot of things that can be done to prevent injuries.  I know before we hired Ballou and Rhea, it seemed like we always had guys going down here and there.  Big injuries, little injuries, some of everything.  Just seemed all over the place.  Last year it seemed like we started to cut down on that, and this year it seems less.  I know when we hired those guys 2 years ago, they talked about one of the big things they work on is injury prevention.  Some things obviously can't be prevented like Cronk getting rolled up on from the side, but a lot of things can be cut down with proper training.  What's the consensus on the PU strength guys?  I'd think at this point, it would at least be something that should be looked at.

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

All fair points. For the record I think Archie is a solid coach who is recruiting well. 

I think Brohm will end up being good. They were definitely in a tough spot deciding to pay a lot for the guy that had made progress or take a chance that another coach could keep things moving that way. 

Archived