Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/22/2019 at 2:46 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure why so many IU fans keep harping on how much money Brohm makes. Obviously this year hasn’t gone as planned but he’s recruiting at the highest level Purdue has ever had. Making 2 bowl games proves he knows what he’s doing. Purdue had to pony up to keep him. Letting him leave to go to UL wasn't an option. Not after he brought back Purdue from the dead. With the BTN money plus the significant increase in attendance, paying his salary isn’t going to be that difficult. Purdue finally made a legit commitment to their football program. Could it backfire? Of course. But I’ll take my chances with Brohm. 

brohm getting david bell is going to haunt indiana for a few years. been watching a lot of purdue this year because i like to watch them lose. bell looks like a budding nfl receiver. bell and moore together next year? watch out

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I think a big reason people harp on how much Brohm makes is because for the last 2 years we heard about how amazing he was.  He could do no wrong, he was going to own IU forever, yada, yada, yada.  It is funny that he played Purdue into giving him a massive contract, and has turned in a crap showing so far this year.  Not that it will absolutely last, it could, but it is fun to laugh about for now.

just like scott frost

7 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I think Brohm will end up being good. They were definitely in a tough spot deciding to pay a lot for the guy that had made progress or take a chance that another coach could keep things moving that way. 

You hit the nail on the head. I think what was crucial was how quickly the fans came back. Thought it would take years but it happened fast. 

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

At what point does the strength staff come into question?  Some injuries are flukes, but there are a lot of things that can be done to prevent injuries.  I know before we hired Ballou and Rhea, it seemed like we always had guys going down here and there.  Big injuries, little injuries, some of everything.  Just seemed all over the place.  Last year it seemed like we started to cut down on that, and this year it seems less.  I know when we hired those guys 2 years ago, they talked about one of the big things they work on is injury prevention.  Some things obviously can't be prevented like Cronk getting rolled up on from the side, but a lot of things can be cut down with proper training.  What's the consensus on the PU strength guys?  I'd think at this point, it would at least be something that should be looked at.

All fair points. I think the consensus is that they’re doing a good job but if injuries keep happening I think you might see that opinion change. Purdue has had a lot of fluke injuries though. A broken jaw in practice, Sindelar falling awkwardly and breaking his collarbone, and a non-contact ACL injury. The last two years the injuries weren’t nearly as often as this year or at least that’s what I recall. 

16 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure why so many IU fans keep harping on how much money Brohm makes. Obviously this year hasn’t gone as planned but he’s recruiting at the highest level Purdue has ever had. Making 2 bowl games proves he knows what he’s doing. Purdue had to pony up to keep him. Letting him leave to go to UL wasn't an option. Not after he brought back Purdue from the dead. With the BTN money plus the significant increase in attendance, paying his salary isn’t going to be that difficult. Purdue finally made a legit commitment to their football program. Could it backfire? Of course. But I’ll take my chances with Brohm. 

Sir, try and relax.  It’s not that serious.  It’s just funny.  2-5

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You hit the nail on the head. I think what was crucial was how quickly the fans came back. Thought it would take years but it happened fast. 

looked like purdue had the place sold out and their fans were raucous. how long would it take at indiana?

10 hours ago, rico said:

Hard to believe that Minny is staring a 9 win season right in the face with Maryland and Northwestern on their schedule.  Can the Gophers get to 10?

Good point.  Minnesota has done a good job. You can only beat who you play.  However, their schedule might as well be from a different conference compared to the gauntlet in the East.  

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point.  Minnesota has done a good job. You can only beat who you play.  However, their schedule might as well be from a different conference compared to the gauntlet in the East.  

Who knows...they could run the table?  The CFP committee would love that!

Regarding Brohm and Purdue’s expenditures on sports, of course it’s fair game. Brohm makes more this year than IU’s football and basketball coaches combined.  That’s hardly a trivial statement.  I wouldn’t necessarily state that as a negative for Purdue, though.  It’s a feather in their cap that their administrators get it, and understand making wise investments.  Their President is a brilliant guy who is conservative in nature but he understands ROI.  

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

He will more than make up for it when he takes over the Dallas Cowboys 

Honestly only a couple NFL coaches make more than top college coaches. Just like you have your Saban's and Sweeny's you have Belichick and Gruden...but everyone else is pretty close to their college counter parts. It would be more of a prestige thing for him...or a life goal...not as much about the money because I'm sure he is about to get an extension at Oklahoma for that very reason and will be paid at minimum more than Harbaugh or around 8 million.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755442-the-10-highest-paid-coaches-in-the-nfl

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly only a couple NFL coaches make more than top college coaches. Just like you have your Saban's and Sweeny's you have Belichick and Gruden...but everyone else is pretty close to their college counter parts. It would be more of a prestige thing for him...or a life goal...not as much about the money because I'm sure he is about to get an extension at Oklahoma for that very reason and will be paid at minimum more than Harbaugh or around 8 million.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755442-the-10-highest-paid-coaches-in-the-nfl

I think sometimes a college coaches ego takes over sometimes.  It ain't money, because you are correct.  Successful college coaches make big money where they are at.  Saban tried the NFL, arguably the greatest college coach of all time, and he failed.  Spurrier?  Failed.  If I was Lincoln I would stay right where I am at.  I did see that Urban would be open to coaching the 'Boys.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I think sometimes a college coaches ego takes over sometimes.  It ain't money, because you are correct.  Successful college coaches make big money where they are at.  Saban tried the NFL, arguably the greatest college coach of all time, and he failed.  Spurrier?  Failed.  If I was Lincoln I would stay right where I am at.  I did see that Urban would be open to coaching the 'Boys.

No doubt. At Oklahoma he has a chance to win a NC every year. Maybe once you've accomplished that goal you try but that is a pretty sweet gig. The only thing I caution is that he has had qbs laid in his lap at Oklahoma. I don't think we've even seen one that he has recruited and groomed himself at this point. Will be interesting to watch.

Archived