Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I would have bet everything I own that IL would not win 4  Big Ten games (including Wisconsin and MSU) in a row.

I will say this...B1G has a lot more parity then most years. Outside of OSU obviously 2-10 I say could win on any given Saturday. IU, Illinois, Minnesota all having special seasons. 

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I will say this...B1G has a lot more parity then most years. Outside of OSU obviously 2-10 I say could win on any given Saturday. IU, Illinois, Minnesota all having special seasons. 

2-13 really.

OSU isn't losing, and Rutgers ain't winning. But even NW is good enough to make some teams sweat.

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

2-13 really.

OSU isn't losing, and Rutgers ain't winning. But even NW is good enough to make some teams sweat.

Purdue sweat maybe lol! Maryland, Rutgers, and NW this year are pretty bad...but yes they can string some good drives once in a while. Normally I would say honestly I’m not too impressed by our record because we haven’t really beaten any really good teams...but even just winning the games we should win is pretty respectable given the parity.

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Happy for Lovie. Funny thing is 95% of their fan base (that somehow they think they are are knowledgeable) wanted Lovie gone because he was the worst head coach, his schemes archaic, couldn't recruit, and was an NFL guy....and that was only 3-4 weeks ago.

While I am surprised they kicked in so late that(heavy Lovie bashing) is one train I never joined in on.

Don't get me wrong.I love to kick Illinois when they are down and dish a little crap out at times, but when they went from not competing to competing under Smith, it was pretty obvious the next step would come if he could hold on to the job long enough. Teams either improve or regress and despite mixed evidence they did get somewhat notably better, even last season. Glad I never chimed in the hardcore bashing on Smith since aive saw plenty of it out there before..I did almost make a BTN facebook comment on the fail once but I read some personal attacks and attacks on his coaching acumen that just weren't fair or realistically wothin fair critique. Guys don't end up in the NFL or the Super Bowl on accident unless their name is Trent Dilfer ;) Sorry, I had to say that.Lol I am not happy for Illinois, but I'm happy for Smith since he has taken a lot of heat out of their dimwit fanbase.

1 minute ago, jblaz13 said:

While I am surprised they kicked in so late that(heavy Lovie bashing) is one train I never joined in on.

Don't get me wrong.I love to kick Illinois when they are down amd dis at times, but when they went from not competing to competing under Smith, it was pretty obvious the next step would come if he could hold on to the job long enough. Teams either improve or regress and despite mixed evidence they did get somewhat notably better, even last season. Glad I never chimed in the hardcore bashing on Smith since aive saw plenty of it out there before..I did almost make a BTN facebook comment onn the fail once but O read some personal attacks and attacks on his coaching acumen that just weren't fair or realistically wothin faor critique. Guys don't end up in the NFL or the Super Bowl on accident unless their name is Trent Dilfer ;) Sorry, I had to say that.Lol I am not happy for Illinois, but I'm happy for Smith since he has taken a lot of heat out of their dimwit fanbase.

Yep. Happy for Lovie. Just wish any success benefited a more deserving fan base or school for that matter. Oh well. 

The thing that is huge for them in securing a bowl early is now they smash in the door hitting the Chicago area even harder. Like IU has a chance to do in Indy you strike while the iron is hot.Go for every kid in your footprint...and hit the South. 

I think the most notable thing about IU's rise is they've built something that appears sustainable, and relative to IU it is pretty much a recruiting coup at this stage.The Illini are in no less favprable position, but Lovie Smith is Lovie Smith so that sell really grew exponentially. Now that he is proving he can win at Illinois too, the NFL experience is just icing to swing for the fences right away. The Bears pretty much had sucked before he arrived and so did the Illini.What he has done at Illinois so far is turning crap into fertilizer so to speak.

Anyone else notice Ohio St doing onside kick up 52-7 yesterday vs Maryland? Word on the street is Maryland and Locksley are the ones who turned Ohio St/Chase in for the $. FYI....Locksley hired Chase's high school coach to his staff to get him there so you know they know the money trail...

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone else notice Ohio St doing onside kick up 52-7 yesterday vs Maryland? Word on the street is Maryland and Locksley are the ones who turned Ohio St/Chase in for the $. FYI....Locksley hired Chase's high school coach to his staff to get him there so you know they know the money trail...

I saw the one they did when they were up 14-0, did they do another one later?  That onsides was a thing of beauty.

After the whole thing last year with their lineman dying during practice and all the crap they pulled afterwards, I hope everybody runs up the score on Maryland.

Also, I think Locksley should focus a little bit more on Maryland and improving his 6-38 career record as a coach.  They've also had 2 decommitts within the last week.

51 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I saw the one they did when they were up 14-0, did they do another one later?  That onsides was a thing of beauty.

After the whole thing last year with their lineman dying during practice and all the crap they pulled afterwards, I hope everybody runs up the score on Maryland.

Also, I think Locksley should focus a little bit more on Maryland and improving his 6-38 career record as a coach.  They've also had 2 decommitts within the last week.

Locksley is a piece of work. Makes our former Coach Wilson look like a choir boy. Can't believe a school would hire him....of course Under Armour guy just wanted someone to recruit the DMC. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Locksley is a piece of work. Makes our former Coach Wilson look like a choir boy. Can't believe a school would hire him....of course Under Armour guy just wanted someone to recruit the DMC. 

Not only does he have tons of off field issues, he's a terrible coach too.  I was shocked when Maryland hired him, and even more shocked that a lot of people in Maryland thought it was a good hire.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Not only does he have tons of off field issues, he's a terrible coach too.  I was shocked when Maryland hired him, and even more shocked that a lot of people in Maryland thought it was a good hire.

I rarely have information....but my guess is since you are from Western Illinois area you probably hear the same things I do during his time at Illinois. Not a good guy. 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I rarely have information....but my guess is since you are from Western Illinois area you probably hear the same things I do during his time at Illinois. Not a good guy. 

I'm only about 45 minutes from the U of I, but his stint there was when I was in college at Western Illinois, so I didn't really hear much.  I just know from looking into him for about 10 minutes.  Seems like a terrible guy.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

That Michigan State loss for us is really stinging. Hard to believe we let that one get away. Could have had a New Years bowl....would have been big for recruiting!

All in due time.  We had a bowl wrapped up in October and are ranked.  Given that we were 5-7 the last two years, that on its own is a positive step forward.  Still a lot of work to be done over the next 3 weeks, but we're moving in the right direction. 

25 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

All in due time.  We had a bowl wrapped up in October and are ranked.  Given that we were 5-7 the last two years, that on its own is a positive step forward.  Still a lot of work to be done over the next 3 weeks, but we're moving in the right direction. 

Just saying...early in the season it sucked but we didn’t think much of it. Now we realize that was a bad loss to a bad team.

I'm sure it happens more often than I know of but in finals stages of Schiano becoming Rutgers next coach he's scheduled to meet with Governor of Jersey. Assumption being he'll be wanting $ for facilities upgrades. Interesting part to me is that it's so public.

Rutgers has long been losing $. They don't become full equity Big 10 partner until 2021 I think. Schiano is no dummy though...he wants to make sure $ will be there for facilities. If not why take the job? Of course I know very little about health of Jersey economy but if I'm a politician I do have to consider if this would backfire considering many of Jersey residents don't care one bit about Rutgers.  

Archived