Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean that I’m not terribly surprised that we laid an egg today. It sucked but it was like the Rutgers game last year. Have to rebound and win the next 2 to get back on track. 

Purdue gotta Purdue. Nothing more nothing less. It's amazing. Short of Illinois....never witnessed a university or team do the same. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Terrible first two weeks for Purdue.  Lost a toss up game to Northwestern, and lost as a 15 point favorite to Eastern Michigan.  Still have games against OSU, MSU, and Wisconsin.  That's likely 5 losses right there.  Throw in tough games coming up against Missouri, BC, @Nebraska, @Iowa, @Minnesota, and @IU.  Their path to 6 wins significantly diminished after the first two weeks.

Also, not at all surprised to see the shine coming off Brohm's star.  I predicted it this offseason with the players they lost and their tougher schedule.  It will be interesting to see how Purdue plays the next few weeks.  Their next 3 games aren't gimme's, so they could be anywhere from 3-2 to 0-5.

Northwestern didn’t exactly look good today either...hard to tell if that was a good loss or a bad one like today’s. Honestly I like when all the Indiana teams represent the state well but it’s been awhile since Purdue or Indiana teams have been dangerous. Notre Dame didn’t look so hot either. They will get walluped in Blacksburg if they continue playing this way. Basically pretty unimpressive for 6 quarters.

7 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/forums/free-board-boilermaker-football.24/

Panic mode? 

Whatever you wish to call it, when you're an IU Football fan these are the moments one must stop and enjoy sometimes. I'm trying to find whatever thread they meant in the topic about IU trolls.

Personally, I was sick of hearing about the second coming in West Lafayette.  The only claim Boilers fans have of Brohm being better than Allen at this point is that he simply has more head coaching experience.  Purdue fans can take their "strength of schedule" stats from last year and shove them.  Go play in the Big Ten East and see how you fare.  While Brohm certainly brought fresh energy, Purdue was largely gifted its record last year by having an easy schedule and by playing teams at the right time, and reality is coming back with a vengeance.

The fact is this is as bad a loss or worse than any Hazell ever had, and it's a worse start than he ever had as well.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Personally, I was sick of hearing about the second coming in West Lafayette.  The only claim Boilers fans have of Brohm being better than Allen at this point is that he simply has more head coaching experience.  Purdue fans can take their "strength of schedule" stats from last year and shove them.  Go play in the Big Ten East and see how you fare.  While Brohm certainly brought fresh energy, Purdue was largely gifted its record last year by having an easy schedule and by playing teams at the right time, and reality is coming back with a vengeance.

The fact is this is as bad a loss or worse than any Hazell ever had, and it's a worse start than he ever had as well.

Saying Purdue was gifted their record is laughable. Playing teams at the right time?  Aside from Missouri firing their defensive coordinator before the game against Purdue, please elaborate on that comment. According to this, Purdue had the 33rd toughest schedule and IU had the 43rd. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2018-01-08

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Saying Purdue was gifted their record is laughable. Playing teams at the right time?  Aside from Missouri firing their defensive coordinator before the game against Purdue, please elaborate on that comment. According to this, Purdue had the 33rd toughest schedule and IU had the 43rd. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2018-01-08

But you have to admit the B1G East is a monster! How do you think PU would have done?

Just now, 5fouls said:

I vote for this alignment.  

Legends Division

• Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Rutgers
  • Maryland
  • Northwestern
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska

Leaders Division

• Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Wisconsin
  • iowa
  • Notre Dame

LMFAO!!!!!!!  Purdue to the ACC?

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Again, those stats are misleading.  Purdue played exactly 2 teams considered capable of making the playoff while IU played 5.  Stats don't account for the physical and mental fatigue that going up against the nation's best day in and day out exact on a team.  

Had Purdue played Missouri and Iowa on any other weekend, those are likely losses.  Purdue capitalized on other teams not showing up and turned it into a bowl season.  Good for them, but let's not pretend that they had some gauntlet of a schedule to run through or that key teams not coming to play on the weekend they played Purdue weren't a key factor in Purdue's record last year. 

Purdue took advantage of teams sleeping on them, for which they deserve credit, but Missouri and Iowa both played Purdue in a classic trap game scenario, and both should have beat Purdue.  Your record could have easily been 4-8 or even 3-9.  Maybe "gifted" is too strong a word, but it was definitely served up on a silver platter.

I'm not saying Brohm is a bad coach at all; he's CLEARLY better than any you've had in a while, but the level of cockiness coming out of West Lafayette at the beginning of this season was obnoxious and unwarranted.

My overall point is Purdue vastly overachieved last year with lots of help from the way their schedule shook out, so the sanctification of Brohm is and was premature.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Again, those stats are misleading.  Purdue played exactly 2 teams considered capable of making the playoff while IU played 5.  Stats don't account for the physical and mental fatigue that going up against the nation's best day in and day out exact on a team.  

Had Purdue played Missouri and Iowa on any other weekend, those are likely losses.  Purdue capitalized on other teams not showing up and turned it into a bowl season.  Good for them, but let's not pretend that they had some gauntlet of a schedule to run through or that key teams not coming to play on the weekend they played Purdue weren't a key factor in Purdue's record last year. 

Purdue took advantage of teams sleeping on them, for which they deserve credit, but Missouri and Iowa both played Purdue in a classic trap game scenario, and both should have beat Purdue.  Your record could have easily been 4-8 or even 3-9.  Maybe "gifted" is too strong a word, but it was definitely served up on a silver platter.

I'm not saying Brohm is a bad coach at all; he's CLEARLY better than any you've had in a while, but the level of cockiness coming out of West Lafayette at the beginning of this season was obnoxious and unwarranted.

My overall point is Purdue vastly overachieved last year with lots of help from the way their schedule shook out, so the sanctification of Brohm is and was premature.

Had Purdue played Iowa or Missouri any other weekend they would’ve lost? You realize how ridiculous that sounds? Iowa had just gotten spanked by Wisky the week before so saying that Purdue was a trap game isn’t accurate at all. If they had hosted Purdue after thumping OSU at home you’d have a point. But after getting embarrassed by Wisky, there’s no way you can say they weren’t up for that game. It’s laughable. Please explain how that was a trap game scenario. 

B1G Sagarin Ratings after week 2:

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

2 - Ohio State

5 - Penn State

8 - Wisconsin

12 - Michigan

14 - Iowa

21 - Michigan State

40 - Maryland

43- Northwestern

46 - Minnesota

53 - Nebraska

63 - Indiana

71 - Purdue

93 - Illinois

107 - Rutgers

B1G S&P+ Ratings after week 2:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

2 - Ohio State

7 - Wisconsin

9 - Michigan

15 - Penn State

28 - Michigan State

29 - Nebraska

44 - Indiana

49 - Minnesota

51 - Iowa

52 - Maryland

62 - Purdue

72 - Northwestern

77 - Illinois

101 - Rutgers

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Had Purdue played Iowa or Missouri any other weekend they would’ve lost? You realize how ridiculous that sounds? Iowa had just gotten spanked by Wisky the week before so saying that Purdue was a trap game isn’t accurate at all. If they had hosted Purdue after thumping OSU at home you’d have a point. But after getting embarrassed by Wisky, there’s no way you can say they weren’t up for that game. It’s laughable. Please explain how that was a trap game scenario. 

Come on, did you even watch that game?  Iowa STUNK. IT. UP.  They would have been lucky to beat Illinois that night.  Kudos to Purdue for making them pay for phoning it in, but Iowa was horrible in that game.

I don't know how this is "laughable."  In addition to Brohm making you guys better, you capitalized greatly on two teams having really off games.

Also, for the record, playing an opponent that most people would pencil in as a fairly reliable win the week after you play two of the best teams in the country is the definition of a trap game.  Iowa was clearly still reeling from that loss when you played them, so, I mean, obviously they weren't up for your game. They smoked OSU two weeks earlier and decimated Nebraska the week after playing you.  Had you played them just one week later or two earlier, there's a good chance you would have gotten smoked, too.  I'm just saying that Iowa stunk it up that game, and you caught them at the right time.  The same goes for Missouri.  Do you really think that if the Iowa that showed up against OSU or Nebraska showed up against you, you'd have won?

Honestly, I don't get why it's so hard for you to admit that in addition to Brohm breathing fresh energy into your team, Purdue caught some lucky breaks last year by catching better teams at the right time, so I'm not going to discuss this further as it's going to go nowhere.

17 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Come on, did you even watch that game?  Iowa STUNK. IT. UP.  They would have been lucky to beat Illinois that night.  Kudos to Purdue for making them pay for phoning it in, but Iowa was horrible in that game.

I don't know how this is "laughable."  In addition to Brohm making you guys better, you capitalized greatly on two teams having really off games.

Also, for the record, playing an opponent that most people would pencil in as a fairly reliable win the week after you play two of the best teams in the country is the definition of a trap game.  Iowa was clearly still reeling from that loss when you played them, so, I mean, obviously they weren't up for your game. They smoked OSU two weeks earlier and decimated Nebraska the week after playing you.  Had you played them just one week later or two earlier, there's a good chance you would have gotten smoked, too.  I'm just saying that Iowa stunk it up that game, and you caught them at the right time.  The same goes for Missouri.  Do you really think that if the Iowa that showed up against OSU or Nebraska showed up against you, you'd have won?

Honestly, I don't get why it's so hard for you to admit that in addition to Brohm breathing fresh energy into your team, Purdue caught some lucky breaks last year by catching better teams at the right time, so I'm not going to discuss this further as it's going to go nowhere.

I’ll agree to disagree as this is a silly discussion about hypotheticals. I think it’s funny to say “you would’ve gotten smoked if you would’ve played them one week later or two weeks earlier” and if IU had done something similar and I made that claim, I’d hope you’d call me out for such a baseless argument. I don’t think you’re giving Purdue near enough credit for doing what was necessary to win those games. Did Iowa play poorly? Sure they did. But Purdue had a lot to do with them playing poorly. 

And no, it wasn’t a trap game. I’d think after getting embarrassed their coaches made sure to get them fired up to play Purdue as they knew this wasn’t the same team as it had been under Hazell. Purdue also caught some unlucky breaks too especially on the injury front. 

Archived