Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would rather get embarrassed in a bowl game then not make one though. Sure it was a bad outcome but it didn’t have a negative impact on anything beyond that one game IMO. 

Doesn't mean rival fans aren't going to talk trash about it for a few years, just like you guys like to talk trash about IU.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

It must be.  They were on their schedule for the next year too.  Not sure how that is a rivalry, but I guess they had to have somebody.

I’m assuming every conference team has a protected crossover game but not sure. Because a lot of the old rivalries (OSU-Michigan, Michigan-MSU, Iowa-Nebraska) are all in the same division now so they had to create new ones. Ours happened to work out since we’re not in the same division. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m assuming every conference team has a protected crossover game but not sure. Because a lot of the old rivalries (OSU-Michigan, Michigan-MSU, Iowa-Nebraska) are all in the same division now so they had to create new ones. Ours happened to work out since we’re not in the same division. 

Looking at the last few years and the next few, they play Maryland every year.  Not sure how they managed to pull that off.  In 2022, each team has a protected "rivalry" game each year, and they have MSU as theirs.  IU-PU is the only one that is an actual rivalry.

https://btn.com/2018/08/29/big-ten-releases-2022-2025-conference-football-schedules/

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Looking at the last few years and the next few, they play Maryland every year.  Not sure how they managed to pull that off.  In 2022, each team has a protected "rivalry" game each year, and they have MSU as theirs.  IU-PU is the only one that is an actual rivalry.

https://btn.com/2018/08/29/big-ten-releases-2022-2025-conference-football-schedules/

Yeah some of those are just luck of the draw. Man I’d kill to have Rutgers as our protected rivalry every year haha. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah some of those are just luck of the draw. Man I’d kill to have Rutgers as our protected rivalry every year haha. 

With Locksley at the helm for Maryland, I might take them over Rutgers for the future.  He is so bad.

Can't go wrong with either one though!

As much as I'm not a Purdue fan, it would be nice if IU and Purdue were both good.  It should be a much better national rivalry than it is, but our schools (especially IU) are rarely nationally relevant.  At least Diaco won't have to make up a trophy for this rivalry (couldn't help myself!).

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

With Locksley at the helm for Maryland, I might take them over Rutgers for the future.  He is so bad.

Can't go wrong with either one though!

As much as I'm not a Purdue fan, it would be nice if IU and Purdue were both good.  It should be a much better national rivalry than it is, but our schools (especially IU) are rarely nationally relevant.  At least Diaco won't have to make up a trophy for this rivalry (couldn't help myself!).

Agreed. We’ve rarely both been good at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

OPI call was atrocious. 

Effectively ended the game. Then the "rules" expert comes on trying to defend the refs by saying that the receiver has to spin or juke around the defender. So, if a defender pushes you a few yards off the line of scrimmage, you're not allowed to push back.. Haha, come on.

3 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I just don't understand how officiating is so, so bad. It gets worse every year it seems.

I think replay has made officiating in all sports bad because it gives the officials an out to not get the call right.  I am just tired of people trying to make everything in sports be so mechanical or no human element so they are ruining officiating.

Anymore I expect about 3-4 bad calls per game along with incorrect interpretation by booth during review. If Wisconsin doesn't turn the ball over 4x none of the bad calls come into play. Hate to be that way because I know the officiating stinks across the board in all levels but this one is on Sconny. Not the refs.

Agree with expecting a certain amount of bad calls, especially on the road, but critical calls that change the outcome of games are unacceptable.   I like Ohio State, but can't stand Wisky;  they both got screwed.

Both teams had their chances to make defensive stops, but that has to mess with your head wondering how you're going to get screwed over next.  Watch the Ohio State game and you'll see the db's sarcastically putting their hands up when they were 3-4 feet away in coverage.  Right or wrong, they were being affected.

Archived