Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I would imagine Harbaugh is going to have a really fun offseason.

Another loss to OSU.  Getting clobbered in their bowl game.  Generally being a tool.  Should be fun to watch.

Does anyone still think Harbaugh is a good coach?  I'll admit I was impressed with the way he managed Stanford, but his time at Michigan has been pretty underwhelming.  Right now, if he wanted to come to IU, I wouldn't be in favor of taking him.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Does anyone still think Harbaugh is a good coach?  I'll admit I was impressed with the way he managed Stanford, but his time at Michigan has been pretty underwhelming.  Right now, if he wanted to come to IU, I wouldn't be in favor of taking him.

Harbaugh = Crean

- Better opinion of themselves than what is reality

- Good, to a point. But not good enough to ever win it all.

- Better salesmen than X and O coach 

- Both are, if not a little crazy, at least idiosyncratic 

Had to put up with Crean. Don’t know if I could survive a Harbaugh hire.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You wouldn't take him at IU? Come on. Harbaugh is a very, very good coach. I'll echo what Cowherd tweeted yesterday. There are certain geographic realities in college football that don't exist in the NFL. Translation. Kids down South are far superior athletes. If Michigan wants to compete at the next level they have to figure out a way to get the elite to move North. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

You wouldn't take him at IU? Come on. Harbaugh is a very, very good coach. I'll echo what Cowherd tweeted yesterday. There are certain geographic realities in college football that don't exist in the NFL. Translation. Kids down South are far superior athletes. If Michigan wants to compete at the next level they have to figure out a way to get the elite to move North. 

Sorry...I'll have to disagree. He's gotten excellent recruiting classes but seems to fail when the lights are brightest and the stories of his bizarre behavior are enough to turn me off.  At one point, I would have felt differently. I thought Michigan made a great hire. No more. He looks pretty average to me and his quirky behavior is enough for me to say pass.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Right now, if he wanted to come to IU, I wouldn't be in favor of taking him.

I read this three times looking for a hint of sarcasm, thinking there was no way this was a serious post. His worst at Michigan would be perfectly acceptable here. We aren't expecting playoff appearances every season.

5 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I read this three times looking for a hint of sarcasm, thinking there was no way this was a serious post. His worst at Michigan would be perfectly acceptable here. We aren't expecting playoff appearances every season.

I'm dead serious.  I don't want him.  You're welcome to disagree.  He's got a giant brand to recruit and he gets players, but he just comes off as a weirdo to me and for what he gets talent-wise, it just feels like he constantly underachieves.  Back to his weirdness:

"Most recently, Harbaugh made headlines for reportedly telling a player that eating chicken is bad for one’s health, because chickens are “nervous birds” whose weak demeanor will infect the human body when consumed."

https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/29/17796028/jim-harbaugh-michigan-wolverines-coaching-situation

I understand why some would want him, particularly considering his success prior to UM and I used to be in that camp.  I've seen enough that I'm not there anymore.  I've got no interest in Harbaugh.  In the very unlikely event that he became IU's head coach, I'm not bull-headed enough to root against him.  I'm just not convinced he's the coaching savant I once thought he was and I think his odd personality would wear me out.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Another bowl appearance and another win for Northwestern. 3 straight bowl wins over teams from ACC, SEC, and now Pac-12. My annual congrats to the Cats post. Wish we could be like them. 

Adding to it, they we're down 20-3 before scoring 28 unanswered to win 31-20.

The opposing coach was 11-1 in bowl games up to yesterday.

58 minutes ago, rico said:

Well the bowl season is over....well at least for the B1G.  5-4 record.  Surprisingly MSU, Michigan, and Penn St. accounted for 3 of those losses.

I found it funny and ironic that the Big 10 West gets criticized for being weak ( I say it all the time) and they finished 4-1 in bowls. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

i find it hilarious that the one loss from that group was the woodshedding that PU took vs. Auburn

That was just a bad match-up......but I found it alarming that 3 of the B1G's best got beat.  Especially Michigan and Penn St.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:35 AM, rico said:

Former 5* QB recruit Justin Fields is transferring from Georgia to............Ohio St.

Pen is going to be very good under a less suffocating OC. I am fairly excited about next year if the OC goes the right direction. The line will be seasoned, the back will have more meat, defense should be solid, man I like Hoosier ball after Deboring. I know I irritate some with my dislike of Allen’s coaching, but I can assure you it is nothing I have not said personally, I don’t hide. But the DC was severely needed, the OC will finish the deal, Allen can act as a true CEO head coach and run the program. And, as I have said, Allen is a good guy but had no coaching experience at this level. Man, Glass should have required Allen to divest the OC and DC immediately so he could focus on running the company. If we get a good OC this program is three or better in the conference. This is a great opportunity for him and the program. In a long winded manner, what I am saying is we don’t need a transfer QB. 

On 1/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, rico said:

That was just a bad match-up......but I found it alarming that 3 of the B1G's best got beat.  Especially Michigan and Penn St.

And I am telling you that the big 10 was down this year (easier to say now), way down. It will be interesting who pulls it together and takes off this year. Purdue looked average at best at the end, Ohio just had too many problems the whole year and it will come out that Urban’s sicker than he let on, I’m not sure how many seasons Harbaugh has left if they aren’t in the championship mix next year, this overall is a terrific opportunity for IU to move up a few steps.

On 1/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, Payday said:

Pen is going to be very good under a less suffocating OC. I am fairly excited about next year if the OC goes the right direction. The line will be seasoned, the back will have more meat, defense should be solid, man I like Hoosier ball after Deboring. I know I irritate some with my dislike of Allen’s coaching, but I can assure you it is nothing I have not said personally, I don’t hide. But the DC was severely needed, the OC will finish the deal, Allen can act as a true CEO head coach and run the program. And, as I have said, Allen is a good guy but had no coaching experience at this level. Man, Glass should have required Allen to divest the OC and DC immediately so he could focus on running the company. If we get a good OC this program is three or better in the conference. This is a great opportunity for him and the program. In a long winded manner, what I am saying is we don’t need a transfer QB. 

And I am telling you that the big 10 was down this year (easier to say now), way down. It will be interesting who pulls it together and takes off this year. Purdue looked average at best at the end, Ohio just had too many problems the whole year and it will come out that Urban’s sicker than he let on, I’m not sure how many seasons Harbaugh has left if they aren’t in the championship mix next year, this overall is a terrific opportunity for IU to move up a few steps.

I pretty much agree with you on everything.  You cannot discount how big of a deal it is that Meyer is leaving. No matter how good Day might end up being, he's not going to be better than 54–4 in the Big Ten. I hope for Allen's sake, he hires a good OC.

Archived