Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

I know they are struggling but Scott Frost was coach of the year at UCF. That said he had better talent at UCF then Nebraska and that says a lot about the state of Nebraska football. 

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

He had things rolling at UCF and even beat Auburn in a bowl game to go undefeated. Nebraska is just not getting those same caliber players they used to get.

He was at UCF for 2 years, not even a full recruiting cycle. Part of that may be coaching, given that he took a program from 0-12 to 6-6. But sometimes, a change of scenery (any change of scenery) is all that's needed. And yes, beating Auburn in a bowl game isn't a small accomplishment, but again, it's one season.

So far, his trajectory resembles Hazell. One average season and one great season at a mid-major and struggling in his first few seasons in a major conference.

The thing that doesn't make me optimistic is that he doesn't seem like a great tactician and he doesn't strike me as particularly inspiring either.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

He was at UCF for 2 years, not even a full recruiting cycle. Part of that may be coaching, given that he took a program from 0-12 to 6-6. But sometimes, a change of scenery (any change of scenery) is all that's needed. And yes, beating Auburn in a bowl game isn't a small accomplishment, but again, it's one season.

So far, his trajectory resembles Hazell. One average season and one great season at a mid-major and struggling in his first few seasons in a major conference.

The thing that doesn't make me optimistic is that he doesn't seem like a great tactician and he doesn't strike me as particularly inspiring either.

If you look at UCF before Frost's arrival it makes you scratch your head.  George O'Leary built that program and it is mind boggling that they went 0-12 the year before Frost got there.  The Knights were 10-4, 12-1, and 9-4 before they went to 0-12.  What happened that 0-12 year?  I don't know other than O'Leary was gone after an 0-8 start.  Enter Scott.  My guess is the talent was already there to allow him to succeed.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

If you look at UCF before Frost's arrival it makes you scratch your head.  George O'Leary built that program and it is mind boggling that they went 0-12 the year before Frost got there.  The Knights were 10-4, 12-1, and 9-4 before they went to 0-12.  What happened that 0-12 year?  I don't know other than O'Leary was gone after an 0-8 start.  Enter Scott.  My guess is the talent was already there to allow him to succeed.

Cupboard may not have been stocked, but it wasn't bare either. And yeah, the 0-12 season is baffling. Only thing I can see is that Oleary was serving as interim AD at the time in addition to coaching, and he wasn't exactly a spring chicken. Aside from that and his first couple of seasons at UCF, he was a pretty solid coach.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Cupboard may not have been stocked, but it wasn't bare either. And yeah, the 0-12 season is baffling. Only thing I can see is that Oleary was serving as interim AD at the time in addition to coaching, and he wasn't exactly a spring chicken. Aside from that and his first couple of seasons at UCF, he was a pretty solid coach.

Well what ever the circumstances, Frost came in and did a stellar job.  But Nebraska is not the same as UCF and thus far Frost hasn't fared well in Lincoln.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Well what ever the circumstances, Frost came in and did a stellar job.  But Nebraska is not the same as UCF and thus far Frost hasn't fared well in Lincoln.

Agreed...going from 0-12 to 12-0 in two years is pretty special no matter what the scenario. That said I think UCF has better access to a lot of over looked recruits in Florida and has a much better footing for recruiting then Nebraska at this state. Nebraska should be fine with Texas and the Midwest but the fact is the level of competition in recruiting from all the Texas schools (which has hurt UT as well) and Oklahoma has put Nebraska on the outside looking in for many kids. I also think the move from BIG12 to B1G has hurt them as well because they are no longer going into Texas and playing. That to me is a killer for them.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That said I think UCF has better access to a lot of over looked recruits in Florida and has a much better footing for recruiting then Nebraska at this state.

A school like UCF is kind of like Butler basketball: you're in one of, if not the most fertile recruiting areas in the country in terms of viable college players.  You can build a nationally competitive program on the "leftovers". 

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A school like UCF is kind of like Butler basketball: you're in one of, if not the most fertile recruiting areas in the country in terms of viable college players.  You can build a nationally competitive program on the "leftovers". 

Yes...you also are set up well to pick up the late bloomers...kids that were not viable options for SEC etc but came on a little later in high school or at a junior college. Great job honestly if you are a good coach. It's honestly a good conference. Houston, Cincy, UCF, Temple, Memphis, Navy....that's a good representation across the country of very good regional schools with fertile recruiting grounds.

Look at the the level of players that have played at UCF in the NFL.....pretty impressive honestly. Not to mention previous greats like Daunte Culpepper and Kevin Smith.

A football players looking towards his sideline.

Brandon Marshall, Class of 2006
NFL

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

See, that is the thing.  There is nothing in Nebraska.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Aside from climate/geography, is Penn State to SC an upgrade? I view them pretty evenly in terms of historic powers. 

Pac 12 South opponents--Utah, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado

B1G East opponents--Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers

The way I see it, Utah is the only quality opponent USC has to beat each year vs the gauntlet that Penn St faces. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Pac 12 South opponents--Utah, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado

B1G East opponents--Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers

The way I see it, Utah is the only quality opponent USC has to beat each year vs the gauntlet that Penn St faces. 

As Alabama would attest, a pillowy soft schedule is a double edged sword.

10 hours ago, rico said:

You left out money...but yeah, I say Penn St. is just as good or better than the USCw gig.

Lots to consider. Money, living conditions, schedule, recruiting...but one thing Franklin has is momentum at Penn State...it isn’t always easy trying to turn around a program. Hard to get things going and once it is do you want to start from scratch.

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

SC being private, yeah, they'll have the advantage....although without Lori Loughlin's money coming in now.....

I'd say that the PSU job is still top 15 in pay. 

Look Ryan Day may be doing awesome this year but those are ALL Urban Meyer kids...can he continue to recruit like that and if he doesn’t have an OVERWHELMING talent advantage can he win....Penn State might be in position to take over the top of B1G.

21 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Aside from climate/geography, is Penn State to SC an upgrade? I view them pretty evenly in terms of historic powers. 

No clue why I think so but I still view USC as the superior job. It might be the Coliseum, sunshine, LA....all the traditions of USC or whatever but to me it's a better gig. If USC strikes out on Urban....Franklin would kill it out there. Only competition from San Diego to Seattle is Cristobal at Oregon and Utah. Recruits would line up for USC again with Franklin.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue why I think so but I still view USC as the superior job. It might be the Coliseum, sunshine, LA....all the traditions of USC or whatever but to me it's a better gig. If USC strikes out on Urban....Franklin would kill it out there. Only competition from San Diego to Seattle is Cristobal at Oregon and Utah. Recruits would line up for USC again with Franklin.

Seems like you forgot about UCLA, Stanford, and Cal in there.  But I think Franklin has found his home.

I’m biased, but I think they’re pretty comparable. The upside with USC is if you get it rolling you’re the darling of college football. Penn State certainly gets a lot of publicity as well and is a power, but being huge in LA is a different level. The downside is if you don’t get it rolling you are an absolute afterthought, where as Penn State being a college town, east coast market, in a premier conference/division, you’re always going to have the spotlight. 

I also think there’s upside and downside to the conferences. Yes, the Big Ten East is a gauntlet and a tougher path, but you’re also almost guaranteed to have a game or two on Gameday and be in the spotlight, etc. In the PAC12 unless you’re in the CFP discussion you’re kind of on the West Coast out of sight out of mind. 

I personally think Franklin should stay, but you never know with the allure of USC/LA. 

Archived