Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No surprise there. The talk around Purdue had been that he wasn’t coming back for his 6th year. He’s got both a bachelors and masters in electrical engineering and probably just wants to start his life. Nothing wrong with that at all!

So, next year is it Plummer or O'Connell.  Honestly, from what Purdue football I saw this year, O'Connell looked more comfortable and seemed to play better.  Hard to believe he was a walk-on (he was, right?).

36 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

So, next year is it Plummer or O'Connell.  Honestly, from what Purdue football I saw this year, O'Connell looked more comfortable and seemed to play better.  Hard to believe he was a walk-on (he was, right?).

Yep he’s a walk-on. I think it’ll be interesting to follow. Will have to see how quickly Plummer recovers from his surgery but as things stand right now it’s O’Connell IMO. 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

No surprise there. The talk around Purdue had been that he wasn’t coming back for his 6th year. He’s got both a bachelors and masters in electrical engineering and probably just wants to start his life. Nothing wrong with that at all!

And I think they said he was getting married in the spring as well.  All joking and personal biases aside, a masters in EE from Purdue is a pretty damn valuable degree.  Was a good competitor, wish him well. 

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And I think they said he was getting married in the spring as well.  All joking and personal biases aside, a masters in EE from Purdue is a pretty damn valuable degree.  Was a good competitor, wish him well. 

Yep you’re right about him getting married. Believe he’s working for a car manufacturer somewhere in Indiana I believe. 

• 2 weeks later...

After taking some time to look into Diaco, I think this is a great hire...for the rest of the B1G.  Diaco is a running joke around UConn, Nebraska, and Oklahoma.  Dude has some major screws loose.  Go check out some videos about him on YouTube.

He had some success at ND, took the UConn head job, and it has been downhill ever since.  Louisiana Tech was ranked 59th defensively in SP+ last year without him, and 62nd this year with him.  I really don't get this hire at all.

41 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

After taking some time to look into Diaco, I think this is a great hire...for the rest of the B1G.  Diaco is a running joke around UConn, Nebraska, and Oklahoma.  Dude has some major screws loose.  Go check out some videos about him on YouTube.

He had some success at ND, took the UConn head job, and it has been downhill ever since.  Louisiana Tech was ranked 59th defensively in SP+ last year without him, and 62nd this year with him.  I really don't get this hire at all.

I respectfully disagree. He was at Nebraska one season when Mike Riley was a sitting duck to be fired. He has proven to be a solid d-coordinator at both high major and lower major programs. According to Pete Thames, LA Tech had the number 31 scoring defense and the number 2 red zone defense nationally. 

22 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I respectfully disagree. He was at Nebraska one season when Mike Riley was a sitting duck to be fired. He has proven to be a solid d-coordinator at both high major and lower major programs. According to Pete Thames, LA Tech had the number 31 scoring defense and the number 2 red zone defense nationally. 

Raw stats like scoring defense mean nothing. Advanced metrics say they were average.

For the red zone defense stat he listed, that is just their percentage of scores. Their number of red zone trips allowed was really high, and their touchdown percentage was pretty average.

38th in yards per play allowed, 3rd down conversion percentage was 21st, some other numbers were decent, but they played the 118th most difficult schedule on this site, and next to last in the country on this site.

He's had some decent success at different times, I just think he's bat poop crazy from what I've read. I could see it being decent or being epically bad, but as an opposing fan, this hire doesn't strike any fear in me.

13 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Raw stats like scoring defense mean nothing. Advanced metrics say they were average.

For the red zone defense stat he listed, that is just their percentage of scores. Their number of red zone trips allowed was really high, and their touchdown percentage was pretty average.

38th in yards per play allowed, 3rd down conversion percentage was 21st, some other numbers were decent, but they played the 118th most difficult schedule on this site, and next to last in the country on this site.

He's had some decent success at different times, I just think he's bat poop crazy from what I've read. I could see it being decent or being epically bad, but as an opposing fan, this hire doesn't strike any fear in me.

Here’s the question: which hire would’ve struck fear in you? On paper, DeBoer didn’t strike fear in me but he was clearly a really good coach. 

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s the question: which hire would’ve struck fear in you? On paper, DeBoer didn’t strike fear in me but he was clearly a really good coach. 

What "paper" were you looking at!? He is even better on paper than he was in just one year at IU, and that's impressive considering what he did with our offense this year.

57 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I really have no idea.  Haven't looked into some of the different DC's out there.  I will say that we were unanimously pumped about DeBoer when we hired him.  From a little looking into him, we all thought he was going to be awesome.

I'm hoping our replacement to DeBoer is another guy we are excited about.  Maybe you'll get a chance to come back at me in a few weeks when we hire his replacement!

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

What "paper" were you looking at!? He is even better on paper than he was in just one year at IU, and that's impressive considering what he did with our offense this year.

I’m saying that when you guys hired him, I don’t think a ton of other fan bases were worried about what he’d do. Clearly that turned out to be wrong but I don’t think other B1G fan bases viewed him as a home run hire when it happened. 

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m saying that when you guys hired him, I don’t think a ton of other fan bases were worried about what he’d do. Clearly that turned out to be wrong but I don’t think other B1G fan bases viewed him as a home run hire when it happened. 

When do other B1G fan bases ever worry about what Indiana is doing in football?

On 12/9/2019 at 8:43 PM, rico said:

And there we have it...Martinez is better than Burrow.  LOL

It happens.  There was a kid who was born in Tennessee, grew up a Peyton Manning fan, and dreamed of playing for UT.  Butch Jones told him that he didn't fit the "system" he was running and he might be a better fit somewhere else.  I think it's worked out pretty well for Trevor Lawrence at Clemson.  

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Deboer was 67-3 as a head coach in NAIA, with 3 national championships.  His last year as a head coach, his team averaged 51.7 points per game. 

"Under DeBoer’s watch, Fresno State ran a modernized pro-style/multiple offense and found stability at the quarterback position for the first time since Derek Carr. The Bulldogs went onto a 10-4 record with Marcus McMaryion starting at quarterback despite coming off a 1-11 season the year prior.

McMaryion started 11 games in 2017 with 62 percent completion percentage for 2,726 yards and 14 touchdowns to 5 interceptions. He improved in 2018 with 3,629 passing yards on a 69 percent completion clip with 25 touchdowns to 5 interceptions. 

In 2018, DeBoer’s Bulldog offense improved from No. 77 nationally in scoring offense at 27.1 points per game to No. 26 with 34.6 points per game. DeBoer inherited an offense that was No. 120 in total yards, improving them to No. 47 in two seasons. The Bulldogs also improved their 2018 record to 12-2 with a Mountain West Championship and Las Vegas Bowl victory - a historic season for Fresno State."

36 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Deboer was 67-3 as a head coach in NAIA, with 3 national championships.  His last year as a head coach, his team averaged 51.7 points per game. 

"Under DeBoer’s watch, Fresno State ran a modernized pro-style/multiple offense and found stability at the quarterback position for the first time since Derek Carr. The Bulldogs went onto a 10-4 record with Marcus McMaryion starting at quarterback despite coming off a 1-11 season the year prior.

McMaryion started 11 games in 2017 with 62 percent completion percentage for 2,726 yards and 14 touchdowns to 5 interceptions. He improved in 2018 with 3,629 passing yards on a 69 percent completion clip with 25 touchdowns to 5 interceptions. 

In 2018, DeBoer’s Bulldog offense improved from No. 77 nationally in scoring offense at 27.1 points per game to No. 26 with 34.6 points per game. DeBoer inherited an offense that was No. 120 in total yards, improving them to No. 47 in two seasons. The Bulldogs also improved their 2018 record to 12-2 with a Mountain West Championship and Las Vegas Bowl victory - a historic season for Fresno State."

Yeah he’s done well so far. But Diaco has too. Just not as a HC. Plenty of good d-coordinators who don’t end up being good head coaches. 

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah he’s done well so far. But Diaco has too. Just not as a HC. Plenty of good d-coordinators who don’t end up being good head coaches. 

Boiler gonna boiler. Diaco will be trying to figure out all offseason what he’s going to do when the Penix is pulled out on him

Archived