FIU Postgame Thread

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I didn't see the game, but wondered if there was an obvious reason that Gest only had five carries?  Injury?  Mistakes?  Or maybe just coach Allen giving everyone some time on the field?

I think Scott showed he could get the tough yards.  Probably see this a lot this year.  Gest starts, but Scott gets more carries.

I was distracted, but from what I saw:

1.  I can see why coaches like Peyton Ramsey.  Smart, gritty, athletic.  Wham, the ball is out fast.  Great tempo and energy with him.  He’s got leadership too.  

2.  Having said that, the ypa was low.  Lot of receivers with small yardage numbers and too many attempts for too few yards.  The scheme is trying to have short passing for ball control but it ends up being a lot of churning when you get into the meat of your schedule. 

3.  The running game was ok. I did like how Scott was used.  I frequently mention how effective a power back can be in the fourth quarter just bludgeoning the defense with a lead.  But, he was at 3.5 ypc.  You’d like to see that come up.  

4.  I’d like to see more chunk yardage from both Ramsey and the rushing attack in base offense, and not relying on gimmicks.  

5.  Instead, look at Penix. There’s a possible phenom.  Very small sample size, but see how the ypa jumped immediately. 

6.  The o line looked physically bigger and stronger.  But I was hoping for more in terms of actual results.  Maybe give Butch Davis credit.  He knows how to coach D.

7.  Crawford is big time. What else can you stay.  He put some good stuff on tape that will be highlighted on his pre-draft YouTube analysis.  

8.  Allen likes the veteran linebackers.  But honestly, while you have to like their knowledge, Willis and Jones just aren’t the athletes that some of our younger guys can be.  The run D is a legit concern.  A year or two from now, we could be beasting out there, but right now our front seven looks a step slow.  Wait till Head, Casey, Burnham, Cam Jones, James Miller and company take over.  More Roof please.  

9.  Fred Glass, man up, and get the numbers on the jerseys next week.  What a pain in the ass. Admit you were out of your element on that and move on.  Hesus Christo.

10.  I thought Michigan would be better than this.  As an aside, it’s obvious Brandon Peters isn’t anywhere near the player Ramsey is.  Just like Gunner Kiel is a zero and Nate Sudfeld is well regarded.  Funny how things work out.  

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I didn't see the game, but wondered if there was an obvious reason that Gest only had five carries?  Injury?  Mistakes?  Or maybe just coach Allen giving everyone some time on the field?

"Tom Allen said postgame he didn't have an injury update on Cole Gest. Said he hoped it wasn't long-term." 

Darn good first game ,imho ! On the road versus a team that won 8 games last season !! Many players on both sides of the ball got some PT !! True Freshmen and redshirt Freshmen played key roles ! Reese Taylor made very important 33 run with the first time he carried the ole pigskin ! Oft injured Donovan Hale  make several key catches  and scored 2 TDS . !!   True Freshman Steve Scott took over for the injured Cole Gest and had 70 rushing yards !! Coach Allen use the team depth that he has recruited very well in tonight's game ! The 2 new kickers looked good !!  Justice scored 8 points , going 5 for 5 on extra point kicks an made his only field goal try from 36 yards !! I'm loving it !😀😀 P.S. That Freshman Quarterback , Michael Penix ,  didn't look too shabby , either ! Go Hoosiers !

Hoosiernation :Question :: Are you aware that your Indiana Hoosiers only  had THREE RETURNING Starters on DEFENSE and ONLY  Five returning starters on OFFENSE ( with Ellison's suspension ) That is only 8 of  22 STARTERS from last season that were available for the opening game of the season on the road versus a team that won 8 games last season and -YET-THE HOOSIERS put up 38 points against a decent FIU  squad . The retooled Hoosier defense picked up THREE Turnovers that led to 21 of the 38 POINTS !! !!  Those of you who did not watch the Hoosier game missed a  Football team that is very young in spots  but loaded with some good talent ! The Hoosiers are a team with a very good upside !! Did IU play a perfect game versus FIU !! Of course not ! There were the normal first game mistakes !! However , I think Mark Hagan and the other IU defensive coaches made some good adjustments that slowed down FIU's early running attack after FIU took a 7 to 0 lead !! IU then outscored FIU 38 to 21 after that first scoring drive by FIU !!  Only time will tell what happens over the next 11 games but I am hopefully awaiting The Virginia Cavalier game in Memorial Stadium to see if The Hoosiers play is executed with more smoothness !! Go Hoosiers !! P.S. The HoosIers scored 38 points WITHOUT MORGAN ELLISON ! Something else to consider ! I don't know why Morgan was suspended but I would like to see how the Hoosiers might look should he return !!

I am sure Bob S. meant to say get the names, not numbers on the jerseys in his item number 9, above.  It was not till game time that I realized there are over 20 sets of same numbers on the roster. 

Indiana Hoosiers 2018 Team Player Roster

Every season, it takes me some time to get to know the new players.  I discovered on Saturday, not having the names on the jerseys is not going to help that out.  Heck, near the end of the game, even one of the announcers was having issues with names..... and simply acknowledged one of our players by number, and not name. He said number 9, only for me to realize there are two number 9's on the roster.  Sorry.... our guys need to get more individual respect than that. 

11 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Darn good first game ,imho ! On the road versus a team that won 8 games last season !! Many players on both sides of the ball got some PT !! True Freshmen and redshirt Freshmen played key roles ! Reese Taylor made very important 33 run with the first time he carried the ole pigskin ! Oft injured Donovan Hale  make several key catches  and scored 2 TDS . !!   True Freshman Steve Scott took over for the injured Cole Gest and had 70 rushing yards !! Coach Allen use the team depth that he has recruited very well in tonight's game ! The 2 new kickers looked good !!  Justice scored 8 points , going 5 for 5 on extra point kicks an made his only field goal try from 36 yards !! I'm loving it !😀😀 P.S. That Freshman Quarterback , Michael Penix ,  didn't look too shabby , either ! Go Hoosiers !

Yes, Justus played well! I believe that was his first field goal scored. He’s a walk-on from my HS alma mater.  😎

I was also less than impressed with the defense, but I've read that Allen subbed in nearly every player on the roster (beyond 3 deep in some instances) last night to figure out who was ready to play and who wasn't, so I figure that will tighten up as we move further into the season.

Also, upon further reflection, I'd rather IU need improvement on defense than offense.  We know and have seen what Allen can do with the defense, and I'd put more faith in him bringing them up to par throughout the season than I would in bringing a low-performing offense up to par.  The offense has always been what most people have been concerned about with him anyway.

The truth is, the offense looked much better than it has the last couple years.  If we tighten the defensive rotation up and clear up the mental mistakes that were made, it will look much better than it did last night, even if it isn't quite as strong as the last two years.

In a broader sense, can you imagine what this team may look like in 2 years?  With all these young, inexperienced players maturing into their roles, I think we are in for sustained success.

At times it was kind of hard to get a good gauge on the team from this game.  It seemed like Allen was really focused on getting people experience.

From early on in the 2nd quarter, we had at least a 2 score lead for the rest of the game.  It looked like if we really wanted to at any point, we could have thrown back in all the starters and taken control again if we needed to.  It gave Allen a great chance to get guys playing experience in an actual game.

There were times I wasn't real impressed with our defense, but we rotated in a ton of players, and still only gave up 327 yards of offense.  147 of those came on two meaningless possessions after we got up 35-14.  Another 90 yards came on their first two possessions.  The 6 possessions in between had a pick 6, a fumble, two 3 and outs, an 11 yard drive with a punt, and a touchdown.  90 total yards from those 6 possessions.  Not too bad of a showing on the road against a team that won 8 games last year, even if it was in a real weak conference.  Still have a lot to work on (pressuring the QB and stopping the run), but a good showing when it mattered.

I was really happy with our offense.  465 yards of offense, and it seemed like we could move the at will most of the time.  Sophomore QB most of the game, true freshman, Scott, led the team in rushing attempts and yards, and another true freshman, Taylor, was the 2nd leading rusher with 40 yards on 3 attempts.

Which brings me to my last point...Holy Penix.  Kid can freakin ball.  He's going to be an absolute stud.  Like @rogue3542 said, imagine an offense in a couple years with Penix (or Ramsey if he can some how hold him off), Stevie Scott and Cole Gest at RB, Reese Taylor as playmaker, Whop Philyor as dynamic receiver,  and Peyton Hendershot at tight end.  That has the makings of a stud offense.  Throw in the talented youth we have on defense and Allen's fantastic defensive coaching, and I feel great about our team for the next few years.

Just a quick note. Reasons why we love Bloomington are many. One of them is our players don't have to worry about safety that much. Star RB for FIU Anthony Jones and Fresh Oline Mershawn Miller were visiting friends this afternoon in Opa-locka this afternoon and were shot in drive by. Hopefully not life threatening. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a quick note. Reasons why we love Bloomington are many. One of them is our players don't have to worry about safety that much. Star RB for FIU Anthony Jones and Fresh Oline Mershawn Miller were visiting friends this afternoon in Opa-locka this afternoon and were shot in drive by. Hopefully not life threatening. 

Hmmmmmmm, were they some where they shouldn't have been?

On 9/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, Leathernecks said:

At times it was kind of hard to get a good gauge on the team from this game.  It seemed like Allen was really focused on getting people experience.

From early on in the 2nd quarter, we had at least a 2 score lead for the rest of the game.  It looked like if we really wanted to at any point, we could have thrown back in all the starters and taken control again if we needed to.  It gave Allen a great chance to get guys playing experience in an actual game.

There were times I wasn't real impressed with our defense, but we rotated in a ton of players, and still only gave up 327 yards of offense.  147 of those came on two meaningless possessions after we got up 35-14.  Another 90 yards came on their first two possessions.  The 6 possessions in between had a pick 6, a fumble, two 3 and outs, an 11 yard drive with a punt, and a touchdown.  90 total yards from those 6 possessions.  Not too bad of a showing on the road against a team that won 8 games last year, even if it was in a real weak conference.  Still have a lot to work on (pressuring the QB and stopping the run), but a good showing when it mattered.

I was really happy with our offense.  465 yards of offense, and it seemed like we could move the at will most of the time.  Sophomore QB most of the game, true freshman, Scott, led the team in rushing attempts and yards, and another true freshman, Taylor, was the 2nd leading rusher with 40 yards on 3 attempts.

Which brings me to my last point...Holy Penix.  Kid can freakin ball.  He's going to be an absolute stud.  Like @rogue3542 said, imagine an offense in a couple years with Penix (or Ramsey if he can some how hold him off), Stevie Scott and Cole Gest at RB, Reese Taylor as playmaker, Whop Philyor as dynamic receiver,  and Peyton Hendershot at tight end.  That has the makings of a stud offense.  Throw in the talented youth we have on defense and Allen's fantastic defensive coaching, and I feel great about our team for the next few years.

This is an excellent breakdown. 

Archived