Ramsey Named Starting QB

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why call out other players if you don't like it when people call out the QB.

It was the whole line. Calling out someone would be like......a name.....which you have done plenty of times. There have been plenty of OL members who have been bad and you have never seen me call any of them out. I played on the oline years ago, no glory and not deserving of being individually called out. 

40 minutes ago, Payday said:

It was the whole line. Calling out someone would be like......a name.....which you have done plenty of times. There have been plenty of OL members who have been bad and you have never seen me call any of them out. I played on the oline years ago, no glory and not deserving of being individually called out. 

You called out Ramsey saying he has a noodle arm.  We get it your upset that your son got benched but try to stay classy.

Just now, IU Scott said:

You called out Ramsey saying he has a noodle arm.  We get it your upset that your son got benched but try to stay classy.

Man, you call someone out, assign an id to them thinking you can somehow see behind the magic curtain, and get mad at a joke about the oline blocking. I will say this, I would be proud to have a son like Lagow or Ramsey. If you will read you will see I have been fairly even about who should qb but thought the board had been unfair at assigning blame when there are a multitude of issues including an oline, new coaches I think we are still unsure of, some game planning that hopefully we are all scratching our head over, and there is just a lot of blame to go around.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

And we lost 45-14.

Yes, but the game was lost in the first few minutes.  Kickoff return, our fumble after two excellent runs to start off, and finally the roughing the passer call.  PSU took full advantage of everything we gave them.  This would have been a completely different game without the terrible start.  We were out gaining PSU through the third quarter, but it really didn't mean anything at that point.

I like Ramsey.  I just think they should run more passing plays, roll outs, etc with him in the line up.  He cannot just hold the ball and run every time.  Lagow has a great arm, and when he has time and is accurate he can be dangerous.  Unfortunately, despite having some time to throw on most occasions, as PSU never blitzed him in the first half, his accuracy just deserted him by the second quarter, so he had to be replaced.  Probably much worse if they had really pressured him.  It would also be nice to get some guys back healthy before Michigan.

On 10/2/2017 at 4:23 PM, IU Scott said:

For clarity, and not arguing, it was Lagow who got us on the board in Penn State on a scramble right where he hit the TE. After that the coachs, illogically not applying the “going with the hot hand”hey had stated, continue the rotation which cools off all hands. There are some guys who just have to keep working and roatating is a curse. Coach tried the same thing in Ohio after we scored the first TD but it was a dismal failure. Today we will be fine, high school team coming in. Who knows about the future. Good luck to Charleston, I hope the money was worth it.

On 10/2/2017 at 1:11 PM, Indykev said:

I wish he had done that with Lagow and not screwed around. Killed the kids confidence. I close my eyes listening to Coach Allen's presser and see Tom Crean.

Sorry, I’m not buying the Tom Crean comparison at all.  Different sports, but Allen’s approach is entirely different.  He values the football, focuses on defense, and believes in fundamentals.  He’s like the bizarro world Tom Crean.  

Allen has learned how to coach on a long and tortuous path from high school coach in Indiana to Florida to low level assistant at some thing like Arkansas State to being DC.  Crean is the opposite of that, where he didn’t get sufficient apprenticeship in coaching.  Crean didn’t play, worked as a student assistant and then at W Kentucky.  He was at Michigan State at a young age where he latched onto the Flintstones but he moved to Marquette in his early 30s.  He didn’t spend enough time learning his craft and his deficiencies as a coach reflect that.  Tom Allen, by comparison, has learned for years before getting to this point.  He’s got a tough job at IU and I’m going to give him a chance. 

As far as the QB situation itself, right off the bat, I’d keep Lagow in there.  But, while Lagow has a nice arm, he’s erratic throwing the ball downfield, spraying it all over the place.  He’s not a statue but I wouldn’t call him mobile.  And his decision making is lacking.  That’s what kills him in the coaching staff’s eyes.  I’d keep him because he’s a senior and has the bigger arm.  

Allen is taking a risk with Ramsey, who I like, but is awfully young.  I think Allen wants a program and culture where you play tough, with moxie, and value the football.  Simply put, Ramsey is all of these things and Lagow just isn’t.  So, I think I understand where Allen is coming from.  Ramsey doesn’t have a rocket arm, so I’d be concerned about defenses stacking the box and making it very difficult for a freshman.  Allen is willing to give up Lagow’s power arm for Ramsey’s, that’s how important he views the savvy that Ramsey brings in other aspects of the position.  

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sorry, I’m not buying the Tom Crean comparison at all.  Different sports, but Allen’s approach is entirely different.  He values the football, focuses on defense, and believes in fundamentals.  He’s like the bizarro world Tom Crean.  

Allen has learned how to coach on a long and tortuous path from high school coach in Indiana to Florida to low level assistant at some thing like Arkansas State to being DC.  Crean is the opposite of that, where he didn’t get sufficient apprenticeship in coaching.  Crean didn’t play, worked as a student assistant and then at W Kentucky.  He was at Michigan State at a young age where he latched onto the Flintstones but he moved to Marquette in his early 30s.  He didn’t spend enough time learning his craft and his deficiencies as a coach reflect that.  Tom Allen, by comparison, has learned for years before getting to this point.  He’s got a tough job at IU and I’m going to give him a chance. 

I do not know all the facets of either coach, but we should recognize that Allen took over a defense that was the worst in football and made his name moving them up. He used the young players and had the luxury of experience. He was also 0-12 at Florida as a DC. May work out, but so far in our two big games we have allowed right at a hundred points. And yes, the points were all scored on our defense because even the special teams has an element of defense. I agree strongly with your assessment on Crean, I’m just not yet convinced on Allen’s pedigree. 

2 hours ago, Payday said:

I do not know all the facets of either coach, but we should recognize that Allen took over a defense that was the worst in football and made his name moving them up. He used the young players and had the luxury of experience. He was also 0-12 at Florida as a DC. May work out, but so far in our two big games we have allowed right at a hundred points. And yes, the points were all scored on our defense because even the special teams has an element of defense. I agree strongly with your assessment on Crean, I’m just not yet convinced on Allen’s pedigree. 

For the record, South Florida was 8-5 the one year Allen was there, not 0-12.  He took their defense from 96th to 46th in the country and they led their conference in points allowed per game.

2 hours ago, Payday said:

For clarity, and not arguing, it was Lagow who got us on the board in Penn State on a scramble right where he hit the TE. After that the coachs, illogically not applying the “going with the hot hand”hey had stated, continue the rotation which cools off all hands.

Also for clarity, Lagow got two more drives after that TD.  He went a whopping 1-5 for -3 yards and we gained 1 total yard.  That first drive, there was one drop on 3rd and 10 when he threw one three yards to Timian half a second after the snap.  Even if he caught it, it was a short gain.  There was no pressure, it was just a bad, rushed decision.   The second drive after the touchdown, he dumped one off to Cobbs, and on 3rd and 9 airmailed someone down field who he stared at literally the entire time.  He also missed the previous two passes before the long one to Thomas.  One positive completion in 8 attempts.  He didn't have the hot hand.  His hand was as cold as it could get.

I've already said I think he should start, so this isn't even about that.  But let's be real, Lagow has been given the opportunity.  He didn't capitalize (last year, in camp, and early this year), and that forced the coaches to do something.  If Lagow threw 30 touchdowns and 8 picks last year, Ramsey wouldn't have seen the field yet.  The simple fact is, Lagow didn't get the job done which caused the coaches to try Ramsey.

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

For the record, South Florida was 8-5 the one year Allen was there, not 0-12.  He took their defense from 96th to 46th in the country and they led their conference in points allowed per game.

Also for clarity, Lagow got two more drives after that TD.  He went a whopping 1-5 for -3 yards and we gained 1 total yard.  That first drive, there was one drop on 3rd and 10 when he threw one three yards to Timian half a second after the snap.  Even if he caught it, it was a short gain.  There was no pressure, it was just a bad, rushed decision.   The second drive after the touchdown, he dumped one off to Cobbs, and on 3rd and 9 airmailed someone down field who he stared at literally the entire time.  He also missed the previous two passes before the long one to Thomas.  One positive completion in 8 attempts.  He didn't have the hot hand.  His hand was as cold as it could get.

I've already said I think he should start, so this isn't even about that.  But let's be real, Lagow has been given the opportunity.  He didn't capitalize (last year, in camp, and early this year), and that forced the coaches to do something.  If Lagow threw 30 touchdowns and 8 picks last year, Ramsey wouldn't have seen the field yet.  The simple fact is, Lagow didn't get the job done which caused the coaches to try Ramsey.

Not at all arguing the start of Ramsey, just pointing out everyone sees different things. When Ramsey came out and threw what should have been a pick six he went back in. As for defense, I honestly don’t know where they are ranked right now but it can’t be high. I stand corrected on the Florida gig, I was not sure what one year he had been there since it didn’t appear he was anywhere more than three or four. 

It doesn’t really matter since it is what it is and it will be three or four weeks before we know anything. But I agree with the scrambling QB because we can’t block anything. 

From the little that I saw yesterday against CSU I thought Ramsey looked good he may take a little longer to get rid of the ball when throwing but I thought he looked good running the ball. I'll be interested in seeing how he does against Michigan I normally go to the homecoming game but I have a wedding to go to. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Do we know yet who is starting Saturday?  Earlier in the week they said Ramsey was day to day.  If he's hobbled at all, I'd love to see us go with Lagow.

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/11/highlights-from-tom-allens-weekly-radio-show-6/

• Allen continues to be proud of Richard Lagow and how he’s handled the backup role: “Peyton (Ramsey) was playing well and got dinged up there. Richard didn’t miss a beat. He came right in, really poised and I was really proud of him. He responded the way I expected him to and challenged him to. That speaks to his character.”
  • Allen said he’s not sure if Ramsey will be available for the Wisconsin game: “He’s working hard to be able to be ready to go. It’s a situation where he’s day-to-day. Just gotta be ready to roll.”

36 minutes ago, rico said:

IMO just put Lagow there.  And start throwing the ball all over the place.

Is it just me, or does it seem like DeBord hasn't called more than one or two downfield throws with either quarterback this year?  Really, I can't recall seeing many throws past 10-15 yards, 20 at most.

If they need to put Lagow in, we really need to throw some bombs down the field and try to open things up, but in reality I'm expecting to see a lot of runs up the middle.

I believe DeBord doesn't think the OL can block either the run or the pass.  Switched to Ramsey over Lagow because OL could not give him enough time for the downfield plays to develop. Lagow can't run out of trouble.  Hence,  we get Ramsey, who has yet to show he can throw much past 20yd and lacks any accuracy.  Hence, dink and dunk football and unimaginative runs to nowhere to try and keep the defensive backs honest.  The OL just isn't as good as it needs to be.  Nowhere near as good as 2015.  I can't see anything improving the situation until we get some more talented recruits or the current players mature.  Not trying to be Debbie downer.  I will continue to cheer for this team.  Just my observations. 

15 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like DeBord hasn't called more than one or two downfield throws with either quarterback this year?  Really, I can't recall seeing many throws past 10-15 yards, 20 at most.

If they need to put Lagow in, we really need to throw some bombs down the field and try to open things up, but in reality I'm expecting to see a lot of runs up the middle.

Ramsey's longest pass I can think of is when he had a free play and hit Simmie Cobbs deep in the endzone.

Archived