Virginia Pregame Thread

Should be a good early-season litmus test.  Their program is in a very similar spot after getting to 6-6 last year and trying to build on positive momentum from a new coaching regime, but trying to replace 3 defensive players and QB lost to the NFL.

• Replaced pro-style QB with dual-threat Juco transfer (Bryce Perkins) more well-suited to the offense they want to run.  Perkins is a dynamic playmaker, but inexperienced and unproven as a passer.
  • Return a lot of talent at offensive skill positions and linebacker/secondary, but thin up-front on both sides of the ball.  Pass protection was a key weakness for them last year and the only expected improvement this year is having a QB who can use his legs to make something out of broken plays.
  • Stopping the run will be key - they struggled running the ball last year, but look to be improved after rushing for over 300 yards in the opener, led by senior RB Jordan Ellis, who had 146 on 20 carries, and 108 from Perkins, including two 20+ yard TD runs. 
  • In the passing game, don't expect Perkins to be much of a threat to throw downfield, but they have a trio of speedy receivers (veterans Zaccheaus and Reed, and a freshman Kelly) who can break big plays on short routes.
  • Field goal kicking game is a huge weakness for them, so red zone defense will be key.
  • On offense, should be able to run against their thin front, and Ramsey should have time to throw, but will need to make good decisions as they have some talented ballhawks on the back-end.

6 minutes ago, HOOsier Thunder said:

Should be a good early-season litmus test.  Their program is in a very similar spot after getting to 6-6 last year and trying to build on positive momentum from a new coaching regime, but trying to replace 3 defensive players and QB lost to the NFL.

• Replaced pro-style QB with dual-threat Juco transfer (Bryce Perkins) more well-suited to the offense they want to run.  Perkins is a dynamic playmaker, but inexperienced and unproven as a passer.
  • Return a lot of talent at offensive skill positions and linebacker/secondary, but thin up-front on both sides of the ball.  Pass protection was a key weakness for them last year and the only expected improvement this year is having a QB who can use his legs to make something out of broken plays.
  • Stopping the run will be key - they struggled running the ball last year, but look to be improved after rushing for over 300 yards in the opener, led by senior RB Jordan Ellis, who had 146 on 20 carries, and 108 from Perkins, including two 20+ yard TD runs. 
  • In the passing game, don't expect Perkins to be much of a threat to throw downfield, but they have a trio of speedy receivers (veterans Zaccheaus and Reed, and a freshman Kelly) who can break big plays on short routes.
  • Field goal kicking game is a huge weakness for them, so red zone defense will be key.
  • On offense, should be able to run against their thin front, and Ramsey should have time to throw, but will need to make good decisions as they have some talented ballhawks on the back-end.

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation !

And thanks for that great game analysis. 

1 hour ago, HOOsier Thunder said:

Good takes and welcome aboard.

16 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

No one's going to mention that Bloomington is supposed to be getting 5 inches of rain this weekend, most of it on Saturday?

Yeah this is going to be a nasty game.  We will need to be able to run the ball and limit turnovers.  The weather could play into Virginia’s strength on offense.  I will be there with my poncho to root the team on but man I hope the rain is not as bad as they say it will be.  By kickoff the field could be a flooded mess as the rain is supposed to start Friday through Saturday night.

4 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Yeah this is going to be a nasty game.  We will need to be able to run the ball and limit turnovers.  The weather could play into Virginia’s strength on offense.  I will be there with my poncho to root the team on but man I hope the rain is not as bad as they say it will be.  By kickoff the field could be a flooded mess as the rain is supposed to start Friday through Saturday night.

I wonder if there is any chance that the game could be cancelled/postponed?

1 hour ago, rico said:

I wonder if there is any chance that the game could be cancelled/postponed?

There are fans on other sites saying "we don't cancel football for rain," but this isn't a spring shower.  I've wondered the same myself.  I think the most pressing consideration is whether the field has good enough drainage to make the game even playable if it rains as predicted.

I hope it doesn't get cancelled.  I'll be there in my poncho, too!

Hat tip to you guys for going. I was so excited to make the trip down until this past Monday when I saw the forecast. Had plans to spend the day on Lake Monroe and head to the lots around 4. All plans off now.... All day slop fest isn't high on my wish list. I did give my tickets though to Hoosier fans who will go no matter what. 

Archived