Nike?

rico

Well there appears to be a backlash considering Nike still paying Kaepernick and featuring him in some ads.  People are threatening to burn their sneakers and boycott the shoe company.  So will there be any fall out with colleges and their affiliation with Nike?  Could get interesting or maybe just fade away?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like most things there will be outrage but will fade. To me it's just a business with meticulous market research taking advantage of their core demographic. As Americans we are really good at arguing the wrong issue. Kap started kneeling for social injustices....and 2 years later it's turned into anti-military, anti-flag,etc....

PS...I'm a huge fan of our Military, our Police Departments....but how Kap turned into the face of this stuff is just what we do as Americans in 2018. PSS...I haven't bought Nike shoes in years because I don't think tennis shoes should cost that much...but again their core markets buy 2 pairs of shoes every month. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Like most things there will be outrage but will fade. To me it's just a business with meticulous market research taking advantage of their core demographic. As Americans we are really good at arguing the wrong issue. Kap started kneeling for social injustices....and 2 years later it's turned into anti-military, anti-flag,etc....

PS...I'm a huge fan of our Military, our Police Departments....but how Kap turned into the face of this stuff is just what we do as Americans in 2018. PSS...I haven't bought Nike shoes in years because I don't think tennis shoes should cost that much...but again their core markets buy 2 pairs of shoes every month. 

Nobody is talking about social injustice or any of the other BS he said he was kneeling for. All anyone is talking about is whether or not kneeling during the National Anthem is disrespectful. 

I'm not a fan / buyer of Nike so it doesn't matter to me. I think all these bans / protests are silly. Let Nike make shoes, In and out burger sell burgers and NFL team play football. No need to get into politics. If players/ owners wish to do it , do it personally- not with their businesses.  Interesting that their stock lost $3 Billion as a result. 

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm not a fan / buyer of Nike so it doesn't matter to me. I think all these bans / protests are silly. Let Nike make shoes, In and out burger sell burgers and NFL team play football. No need to get into politics. If players/ owners wish to do it , do it personally- not with their businesses.  Interesting that their stock lost $3 Billion as a result. 

The entire stock market was down, wasn’t a result of this campaign.  

36 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Nobody is talking about social injustice or any of the other BS he said he was kneeling for. All anyone is talking about is whether or not kneeling during the National Anthem is disrespectful. 

Ever considered that if people stopped calling these issues BS that these players would stop kneeling?

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

He also wore socks that showed police officers as pigs. Support who you want,  but that's enough for me. Image result for colin kaepernick pigs

I am not agreeing with the socks, but as with anything, there are the good and the bad and everyone's perception is a victim of their own experiences.  Many of those who are minorities don't have positive experiences with police officers, unfortunately.  An easy solution with our police forces are to call out the bad one's, but more often than not (even when caught clear as day on video), that does not happen.  It is the same no-narc mentality I often hear police complain about in relationship to the communities they are working.   

In addition, the idea of protecting and serving their respective communities has been flipped to the communities being expected to protect and serve the police force.  There is a certain level of being above reproach that has permeated because of this.  It is a difficult job and dangerous, there is no doubt about it, but if you don't have the temperament or mindset to do it correctly under all circumstances, then maybe look at doing something else.  A mistake being a police officer has far greater consequences than your average job. 

Nike did not do this to make a social statement.  They did it to make a buck by putting their brand on the tip of every American's tongue.

Stirring up social unrest to make a buck is bad form, no matter what side of the issue you are on.  I'm not going to burn my Nikes, but I don't like at all what they have done.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Nike did not do this to make a social statement.  They did it to make a buck by putting their brand on the tip of every American's tongue.

Stirring up social unrest to make a buck is bad form, no matter what side of the issue you are on.  I'm not going to burn my Nikes, but I don't like at all what they have done.  

Very well said.

8 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I am not agreeing with the socks, but as with anything, there are the good and the bad and everyone's perception is a victim of their own experiences.  Many of those who are minorities don't have positive experiences with police officers, unfortunately.  An easy solution with our police forces are to call out the bad one's, but more often than not (even when caught clear as day on video), that does not happen.  It is the same no-narc mentality I often hear police complain about in relationship to the communities they are working.   

In addition, the idea of protecting and serving their respective communities has been flipped to the communities being expected to protect and serve the police force.  There is a certain level of being above reproach that has permeated because of this.  It is a difficult job and dangerous, there is no doubt about it, but if you don't have the temperament or mindset to do it correctly under all circumstances, then maybe look at doing something else.  A mistake being a police officer has far greater consequences than your average job. 

I don't buy the argument that it is okay to disrespect all police officers because of the actions of a few.

In that vein, should we hate all grandpas in the world because some are child molesters?  

Do we euthanize all dogs because Susie got bit by one?

It's gone way too far. Kapernick disrespected a lot of people with his actions, but is all butt-hurt when he gets disrespect thrown back at him?  i'm sorry, but I'm not feeling his pain.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To people that are against Kap, they are stirring up social unrest. To those that agree with him, Nike is supporting the cause. And of course they are trying to make a buck. Capitalism is what everyone that is against Kap is always spouting off about, right? What’s good for the goose. 

16 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

To people that are against Kap, they are stirring up social unrest. To those that agree with him, Nike is supporting the cause. And of course they are trying to make a buck. Capitalism is what everyone that is against Kap is always spouting off about, right? What’s good for the goose. 

You're barking up the wrong tree with me.  I'm as non-political as they come.  Everyone is wronged about something in their life, but there are ways to address injustce without kneeling when the anthem is played.  

I don't agree with many of the human rights failures that occur in Russia, but if I visited a friend in Moscow, I'm not going to piss on the Russian flag while I am there.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The entire stock market was down, wasn’t a result of this campaign.  

If you look at a chart (Yahoo finance) of NKE vs the S&P you can see an unmistakable divergence. Maybe 3% drop at the open for the week which would actually be more than $3 Billion. No way the drop was in line with the market. Maybe some other adverse Nike news over the weekend?

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You're barking up the wrong tree with me.  I'm as non-political as they come.  Everyone is wronged about something in their life, but there are ways to address injustce without kneeling when the anthem is played.  

I don't agree with many of the human rights failures that occur in Russia, but if I visited a friend in Moscow, I'm not going to piss on the Russian flag while I am there.

Except they aren’t visiting. They are American citizens who want to have an adult, civil and mature discussion about social inequality in America. 

And kneeling was hardly the first resort this issue has been an issue for decades. The kneeling was the result of being ignored which forced it to be brought out in dramatic fashion to try and force that conversation. 

Instead a certain group of people would rather complain about them kneeling for two years than have a mature and adult conversation about issues that are bothering their fellow Americans. For two years the group complaining about it has had the power to stop it. But having a conversation is apparently too high a cost to stop something that is so abhorrent. 

My guess is that this group is avoiding the conversation because it would force them to face certain truths about inequality that run counter to their belief system. 

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Except they aren’t visiting. They are American citizens who want to have an adult, civil and mature discussion about social inequality in America. 

And kneeling was hardly the first resort this issue has been an issue for decades. The kneeling was the result of being ignored which forced it to be brought out in dramatic fashion to try and force that conversation. 

Instead a certain group of people would rather complain about them kneeling for two years than have a mature and adult conversation about issues that are bothering their fellow Americans. For two years the group complaining about it has had the power to stop it. But having a conversation is apparently too high a cost to stop something that is so abhorrent. 

My guess is that this group is avoiding the conversation because it would force them to face certain truths about inequality that run counter to their belief system. 

Do you think what they set out to do has worked? Have you heard of anyone having conversations about fixing social inequalities in America as a result of them kneeling during the National Anthem? Or have they pushed a discussion about whether or not it is disrespectful to kneel during the Anthem?

7 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Do you think what they set out to do has worked? Have you heard of anyone having conversations about fixing social inequalities in America as a result of them kneeling during the National Anthem? Or have they pushed a discussion about whether or not it is disrespectful to kneel during the Anthem?

The group that refuses to have the mature discussion about social inequality.  Has created that discussion instead of having the one about inequality. 

You don’t get to change the subject and refuse to talk about what the aggrieved party wants to discuss and pretend you are in the right. 

For 2 years people opposed to the kneeling could have stopped it. And they haven’t. Must not matter that much to them

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

If you look at a chart (Yahoo finance) of NKE vs the S&P you can see an unmistakable divergence. Maybe 3% drop at the open for the week which would actually be more than $3 Billion. No way the drop was in line with the market. Maybe some other adverse Nike news over the weekend?

Why didn’t Nikes competitors see a bump?

51 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So, in an effort to 'fix' social inequality, Kaepernick kneels for the anthem.  But, did he do anything with his time, his money, or anything else tangible to make a difference?  Or,was it all about symbolism with him?  Let's not make him out to be a modern day MLK.  He is not. He tried to make a difference without actuall doing anything and disrespected the very foundation that afforded him a chance to achieve all he had in life.

Archived