Nike?

rico

Just now, PoHoosier said:

But there is persecution.  It's just not entirely systemic or extreme, yet.  Denying it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Please explain how. Because usually when Christians think they are being persecuted it is when they are no longer allowed to tell other people how to live their lives. See abortion, marriage equality, etc. Not having the power over others you once had isn’t being persecuted. 

What are Christians not allowed to do today that they were allowed to do yesterday?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Please explain how. Because usually when Christians think they are being persecuted it is when they are no longer allowed to tell other people how to live their lives. See abortion, marriage equality, etc. Not having the power over others you once had isn’t being persecuted. 

What are Christians not allowed to do today that they were allowed to do yesterday?

I wouldn't say Christians are being persecuted in the US. Discriminated against, yes.

As I was looking for info on this, I came across this- https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christian-persecution/world-watch-list/

57 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Let's start by defining some terms.  If we agree there, we can better understand each other.

per·se·cu·tion
ˌpərsəˈkyo͞oSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: persecution; plural noun: persecutions
  1. hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs.
    "her family fled religious persecution"
    synonyms: oppression, victimization, maltreatment, ill-treatment, mistreatment, abuse, ill-usage, discrimination, tyranny; More
    informalwitch hunt
    "victims of religious persecution"
    harassment, hounding, intimidation, bullying
    "the persecution she endured at school"
    • persistent annoyance or harassment.
      "his persecution at the hands of other students.

Persecution and discrimination are synonyms.  We very likely all agree in that.  I could be splitting hairs with that if we start talking degrees of which one is oppressed.

One such freedom I no longer openly enjoy, public prayer.  While I was in high school, my best friend reported a teacher for praying with students.  This was in 1993.  It was on school property outside of school hours ( more than an hour before classes ).  He did not organize it, he was simply invited.  The school board talked to him about it.  The action was permissable by the Constitution at the time.  How many high schools, districts, and so on have rewritten their own legislation since then? 

My point simply comes down to this.  The persecution / discrimination does exist.  Denying it does is no different than me burying Kaepernick's message with him.  A big mistake if I were to do so.

10 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Persecution and discrimination are synonyms.  We very likely all agree in that.  I could be splitting hairs with that if we start talking degrees of which one is oppressed.

One such freedom I no longer openly enjoy, public prayer.  While I was in high school, my best friend reported a teacher for praying with students.  This was in 1993.  It was on school property outside of school hours ( more than an hour before classes ).  He did not organize it, he was simply invited.  The school board talked to him about it.  The action was permissable by the Constitution at the time.  How many high schools, districts, and so on have rewritten their own legislation since then? 

My point simply comes down to this.  The persecution / discrimination does exist.  Denying it does is no different than me burying Kaepernick's message with him.  A big mistake if I were to do so.

You can openly pray publically anywhere when you aren’t violating the separation of church and state. I know, because there were Christians telling me I was going to hell as I walked to class in Bloomington and nobody stopped them. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No one is anti-Christian. The issue you are perceiving is that Christianity’s socially conservative views are going the way of the dodo and some Christians can’t deal with the fact that they don’t have absolute power anymore.

Believing that Christians are being persecuted is the same as believing that white men are being persecuted. Just because one doesn’t have unchecked power anymore like they did in the past doesn’t mean they are being treated unfairly. It means they are getting a small taste of what religious minorities, racial minorities and women have felt for so long. 

Let's define "conservative".

41 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You can openly pray publically anywhere when you aren’t violating the separation of church and state. I know, because there were Christians telling me I was going to hell as I walked to class in Bloomington and nobody stopped them. 

No matter their position, this narrative will not win anyone to their way of thinking.

12 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I'm actually forced to go to Hell several times a week.  I have to cross the Ohio River into the Bluegrass to get to my place of employment.  .  😈

On 9/7/2018 at 6:22 PM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Not having the power over others you once had isn’t being persecuted.

I didn't respond to this part here as I wanted to think on it.

I never considered myself or Christians as ones who enjoyed power over others.  Sure, it was so at one time, however, they should probably read their good book in regards to oppression of others and freedom.  As to having 'power' over others, that is simply not 'the way' nor one I exorcised.  I am not in that categorical box.  Evil in the world hides behind many faces, even in all too many pulpits.

3 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I didn't respond to this part here as I wanted to think on it.

I never considered myself or Christians as ones who enjoyed power over others.  Sure, it was so at one time, however, they should probably read their good book in regards to oppression of others and freedom.  As to having 'power' over others, that is simply not 'the way' nor one I exorcised.  I am not in that categorical box.  Evil in the world hides behind many faces, even in all too many pulpits.

Christianity has been used to control and hold power for a very long time. That doesn't mean all Christians do that or have benefited from it, but the institution of Christianity has certainly held power in this country for a very long time. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Christianity has been used to control and hold power for a very long time. That doesn't mean all Christians do that or have benefited from it, but the institution of Christianity has certainly held power in this country for a very long time. 

Very clearly and well stated.  You hit the nail on the head.  It is unfortunate for all when one is more interested in power and control than anything else.

22 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

In more relevant news, so is the entire stock market. Has been since Trump took over the White House. 

1) that's not more relevant to Rico's point at all

2) the stock market is a terrible barometer of the health of the economy for ordinary people 

3) the stock market continues to grow under every president. It is almost like both parties are sell-outs to big business. We need campaign finance reform. 

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

1) that's not more relevant to Rico's point at all

2) the stock market is a terrible barometer of the health of the economy for ordinary people 

3) the stock market continues to grow under every president. It is almost like both parties are sell-outs to big business. We need campaign finance reform. 

I agree on all counts.

Studying this, Nike, and many angles.
I have found Colin did not set out to disrespect, the nation, flag, or military.  Kaepernick was speaking out for injustice and seeking to gather support for change.

I was among those who were beyond dangerously close to throwing out the baby with the bath water, or rather, the message because of a perceived poor delivery.
There is an old adage regarding truth or discovery.  First, it is met with ridicule.  Second, it is attacked violently.  Eventually, it becomes an accepted norm.

I will likely never agree with the chosen platform, but, free speech is free speech.  Though I may not agree with what is being said, having served, it was my duty to fight to the death to preserve that freedom, that freedom of speech.

Lastly, I am taking a wait and see approach on Nike.  Are they looking to enact change?  Are they looking to make a buck?  Likely somewhere in between.  Lets hope change gets their workers overseas a wage and hours that would fall in line with what would be perceived as fair.

Archived