Nike?

rico

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, in an effort to 'fix' social inequality, Kaepernick kneels for the anthem.  But, did he do anything with his time, his money, or anything else tangible to make a difference?  Or,was it all about symbolism with him?  Let's not make him out to be a modern day MLK.  He is not. He tried to make a difference without actuall doing anything and disrespected the very foundation that afforded him a chance to achieve all he had in life.

He wasn’t doing this to fix the issue  he wanted to open a dialogue  

He sacrificed his career to take a stand. Hardly nothing btw plus he donated a million dollar just to this single cause  

keep on looking for any excuse to not have that conversation though. A large group of your fellow Americans believe strongly that a conversation needs to be had on this issue  And all you do is make excuses why that conversation shouldn’t take place  

you can avoid the conversation all you want but stop acting like the people kneeling are out of line  they are kneeling because they are tired of minorities being murdered by agents of the government  whether they are right or wrong that deserves a conversation. the fact that people like you won’t have that conversation to stop the kneeling says a lot more about you than it does the people  doing the kneeling  

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He wasn’t doing this to fix the issue  he wanted to open a dialogue  

He sacrificed his career to take a stand. Hardly nothing btw plus he donated a million dollar just to this single cause  

keep on looking for any excuse to not have that conversation though. A large group of your fellow Americans believe strongly that a conversation needs to be had on this issue  And all you do is make excuses why that conversation shouldn’t take place  

you can avoid the conversation all you want but stop acting like the people kneeling are out of line  they are kneeling because they are tired of minorities being murdered by agents of the government  whether they are right or wrong that deserves a conversation. the fact that people like you won’t have that conversation to stop the kneeling says a lot more about you than it does the people  doing the kneeling  

Brass Cannon, I respect you as a person and a valued poster on this forum.
So when I point out that 5fouls is simply asking questions, perhaps he is truly trying to engage in this civil and adult conversation.

You can say I am biased, but I truly sacrificed something as a disabled vet.  Kap sacrificed his career, sure.  Good for him.  I sacrificed for this country and I will never take too kindly to the platform I believe he should not have used to bring a social issue forth.  There are other avenues.

3 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Brass Cannon, I respect you as a person and a valued poster on this forum.
So when I point out that 5fouls is simply asking questions, perhaps he is truly trying to engage in this civil and adult conversation.

You can say I am biased, but I truly sacrificed something as a disabled vet.  Kap sacrificed his career, sure.  Good for him.  I sacrificed for this country and I will never take too kindly to the platform I believe he should not have used to bring a social issue forth.  There are other venues.

What other venue had not been tried already? This is an issue spanning decades. You can’t keep ignoring people that deserve some small amount of attention forever then complain about how they try to get your attention. 

The rodney King riots shocked the LAPD into action and things got better for a time. But that was because the things were done as a reaction and not as a real plan. Not as a cooperation between. 

When a group riots and does millions in property damage and still gets ignored it’s ridiculous to get upset when they peacefully protest by taking a knee. 

My uncle gave his life for this country. It took the agent orange 50 years to kill him but his military service still killed him.  And he explained it like this. If somebody is burning an American flag then there’s probably a pretty good reason and you should probably hear them out.  

The WNBA had a players wear 'Protest shirts'.  Its sad it not only takes violence or outrage to effect change, but violence or outrage is the norm or the expected norm to effect change.
I am not intentionally shifting blame on victims of social injustices by saying that.  Just noting that it is sad that it has come to that.  There are people who listen and want change without any of that.  The WNBA protest was a statement just as loud to me as Kap's and it was done peacefully as far as I know.
Its not about ignoring anyone, there are injustices in the world and I do not believe any of them are for good reason. Lets have that conversation and look at solutions.  My stance is that you have freedom of speech, use it ANYTIME that is not during the anthem.  Like wearing a piece of clothing, like a protest shirt.  Creative, effective use of freedom of speech while respectful and peaceful.

I felt disrespected as a disabled vet by Kap's and other footballer player's actions.
Having said that, with his new position, hopefully he hasnt destroyed his credibility so badly, he might be able to get the change he desires instead of inciting veterans the police and others.                                    

This thread will turn into every other thread I've seen on the issue. Funny thing is a majority of people agree that the African American communities are in real need of change. They face real significant obstacles that need attention and addressed. A majority also agree probably that there is a proper time and place for protest and to voice their opinions. At a memorial service, during a time of prayer, or the national anthem where we honor our country and those that have served it are all probably seen as a moment that should be respected and not politicized. I realize Kaep wasn't taking a shot at our soldiers but he was at our country. I appreciate his view and right to take a stand but it is hard for me to be supportive of the avenue he has chosen to do it. He may think America is not a great country because of its flaws but it is. He says people of color are oppressed but no where else in the world can people achieve what they can....speak as they please..and worship as freely as they do and better achieve their dreams then right here in America. He wore a Fidel shirt before the Miami game just as he wore the pig socks before a game too. Talk about supporting oppression! You are going to alienate a whole lot of people that you are trying to reach out to if you go to such extreme positions and then denigrate something they hold dear. Martin Luther King won over people with a message of love and sacrifice....Jesus Christ changed the world with a message of love....sorry if I don't subscribe to the message and method Colin used to get his message across. Ever heard the saying you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? At this point the whole narrative and arguments for what he is doing has been so changed and misconstrued on both sides its hard to say what that the kneeling etc has accomplished anything to help the true cause he says he is fighting against. Personally I don't want politics and social causes forced down my throat when I'm trying to watch a sporting event. I can easily flip back and forth between CNN and FOXNEWS to get an earful of social and political commentary. I look to sports for a place of peace and refuge from a world full of hate, anger, and cynicism. Sadly more and more we have to turn something that is hopefully pure and innocent in nature and turn it into a microphone for causes and issues that have nothing to do with what everyone is there to partake in. Those that want to to engage in that dialog can choose that in any numerous places to have it...but when we want a break from it we can't get one. It seems now companies are going to be in the habit of pushing agendas too. That's too bad...I'd rather just buy or use their products and not be forced to support or listen to views or causes that have nothing to do with what they are selling. Again...this happens on both sides and it's a shame. Sadly there might be many issues that Kaep is working to change (probably some things I don't agree with) but the vehicle and his messaging he is using to try to push that change....will not lead to anything successful. Suffice it to say I'm sure this will soon be forgotten about along with Colin...it will only be brought up again by those who are self serving in the matter. Those that want to sell a tennis shoe to someone or those that want your money not to help those out of poverty but to line their pockets in the guise of making a difference.

16 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

The WNBA had a players wear 'Protest shirts'.  Its sad it not only takes violence or outrage to effect change, but violence or outrage is the norm or the expected norm to effect change.
I am not intentionally shifting blame on victims of social injustices by saying that.  Just noting that it is sad that it has come to that.  There are people who listen and want change without any of that.  The WNBA protest was a statement just as loud to me as Kap's and it was done peacefully as far as I know.
Its not about ignoring anyone, there are injustices in the world and I do not believe any of them are for good reason. Lets have that conversation and look at solutions.  My stance is that you have freedom of speech, use it ANYTIME that is not during the anthem.  Like wearing a piece of clothing, like a protest shirt.  Creative, effective use of freedom of speech while respectful and peaceful.

I felt disrespected as a disabled vet by Kap's and other footballer player's actions.
Having said that, with his new position, hopefully he hasnt destroyed his credibility so badly, he might be able to get the change he desires instead of inciting veterans the police and others.                                    

I understand feeling it’s disrespectful but why not stop complaining about it for 5 seconds and actually have the conversation they want so that if it stops. 

But here’s the issue they were going to and had been ignored at any other time.  They got ignored after burning the second largest city in the us for God’s sake. The group ignoring them forced their hand and then refused to stop the kneeling for 2 years  

If the kneeling continue after a dialogue is started on the issue that they are upset about that’s another thing. But if a fraction of the words used to decry their kneeling had been used to discuss their issue then they probably stopped kneeling long ago. 

But to refuse to have that conversation because they are being disrespectful(which once again is another issue that warrants discussion) is just immature and counter productive.  

As I have stated before the anti kap people can stop the kneeling by opening a dialogue  the fact that this price is too high shows me that they don’t really care about the anthem  

frankly i wish the issues I find horrible could be solved so easily 

btw I hadn’t even heard of the WNBA protest so not sure how effective you can claim that was  

I'm willing to have the conversation.   I attempt to with friends family and colleagues all the time. I am a white middle-aged male and a combat veteran with a slight disability compared to others.  I am sick and tired of any law enforcement officer hiding behind "I felt threatened for my life."  That does not give you the right to shoot anyone in the back.  

I'm willing to have the conversation and desire to live in a strong, safe, and free nation.  I despise racism but understand where and how prejudice and stereotypes begin.  Most are formed by our own experiences  or the lies of media or they are actually true.  How you can choose to hate a person based on the color of skin is a baffling concept to me.  I am no man's judge but if I do I hope it is only based on character and actions.  

I'll say, stop shooting people in the back, especially when they are unarmed.   Use less lethal force.  Train more.  And prosecute to the full extent of the law and stop hiding behind you feared for your life.  You're a freaking cop.  Serve and protect.  Stop protecting bad apples and see if you don't reap better fruit.  

Nike is dumb.  Imo this will cost them over the next 5-10 but they will still be the #1 seller unless Adidas or even puma with Jay-Z masterminding some marketing now, can swoop in and make a giant leap.  

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I understand feeling it’s disrespectful but why not stop complaining about it for 5 seconds and actually have the conversation they want so that if it stops. 

But here’s the issue they were going to and had been ignored at any other time.  They got ignored after burning the second largest city in the us for God’s sake. The group ignoring them forced their hand and then refused to stop the kneeling for 2 years  

If the kneeling continue after a dialogue is started on the issue that they are upset about that’s another thing. But if a fraction of the words used to decry their kneeling had been used to discuss their issue then they probably stopped kneeling long ago. 

But to refuse to have that conversation because they are being disrespectful(which once again is another issue that warrants discussion) is just immature and counter productive.  

As I have stated before the anti kap people can stop the kneeling by opening a dialogue  the fact that this price is too high shows me that they don’t really care about the anthem  

frankly i wish the issues I find horrible could be solved so easily 

No offense but dialog isn't going to change anything. It will take action. Maybe electing new leadership in these inner cities that have been controlled and run by men and women with the same ideas for decades. Maybe changing morals and values in the home to keep families together and support children and raise them and teach them there can be another way to success. Maybe companies investing in the American work force instead of sending their production overseas to sweat shops (cough cough). And yes, changing some laws and working with law enforcement to give young men a second chance to earn a living and yes fight stereotyping etc so that police officers not only don't have to deal with as much violent crime but will work with communities to eliminate it and not feel so threatened to use lethal force in situations that might not need it. Asking for dialog? We've heard the issues for years..we are aware of the issues many of our inner city communities face. Change is needed...but it isn't all have to happen on the other side....A LOT of it needs to start in the community themselves. Change by leaders in that community will create a more lasting difference and will win peoples hearts and minds beyond to support them in their cause. Instead of pointing the finger maybe the first few steps need to be taken by those in their communities to enact change...vote differently...raise a generation of young men and women that will respect each other and use the wonderful tools and opportunities this country affords to give back and bring opportunities back to their community. A lot of the issues that the African American communities are facing are faced by all races and across the country. Poverty and the break down of the family knows no color...but this country is still more than capable of overcoming these issues and allowing its citizens to change their lives if they are determined and will take the hard and sometimes painful steps to make changes in their lives.

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm willing to have the conversation.   I attempt to with friends family and colleagues all the time. I am a white middle-aged male and a combat veteran with a slight disability compared to others.  I am sick and tired of any law enforcement officer hiding behind "I felt threatened for my life."  That does not give you the right to shoot anyone in the back.  

I'm willing to have the conversation and desire to live in a strong, safe, and free nation.  I despise racism but understand where and how prejudice and stereotypes begin.  Most are formed by our own experiences  or the lies of media or they are actually true.  How you can choose to hate a person based on the color of skin is a baffling concept to me.  I am no man's judge but if I do I hope it is only based on character and actions.  

I'll say, stop shooting people in the back, especially when they are unarmed.   Use less lethal force.  Train more.  And prosecute to the full extent of the law and stop hiding behind you feared for your life.  You're a freaking cop.  Serve and protect.  Stop protecting bad apples and see if you don't reap better fruit.  

Nike is dumb.  Imo this will cost them over the next 5-10 but they will still be the #1 seller unless Adidas or even puma with Jay-Z masterminding some marketing now, can swoop in and make a giant leap.  

And unfortunately not enough are willing to have this convo or force their representatives in the government to have this convo. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No offense but dialog isn't going to change anything. It will take action. Maybe electing new leadership in these inner cities that have been controlled and run by men and women with the same ideas for decades. Maybe changing morals and values in the home to keep families together and support children and raise them and teach them there can be another way to success. Maybe companies investing in the American work force instead of sending their production overseas to sweat shops (cough cough). And yes, changing some laws and working with law enforcement to give young men a second chance to earn a living and yes fight stereotyping etc so that police officers not only don't have to deal with as much violent crime but will work with communities to eliminate it and not feel so threatened to use lethal force in situations that might not need it. Asking for dialog? We've heard the issues for years..we are aware of the issues many of our inner city communities face. Change is needed...but it isn't all have to happen on the other side....A LOT of it needs to start in the community themselves. Change by leaders in that community will create a more lasting difference and will win peoples hearts and minds beyond to support them in their cause. Instead of pointing the finger maybe the first few steps need to be taken by those in their communities to enact change...vote differently...raise a generation of young men and women that will respect each other and use the wonderful tools and opportunities this country affords to give back and bring opportunities back to their community. A lot of the issues that the African American communities are facing are faced by all races and across the country. Poverty and the break down of the family knows no color...but this country is still more than capable of overcoming these issues and allowing its citizens to change their lives if they are determined and will take the hard and sometimes painful steps to make changes in their lives.

Of course dialogue won’t change anything. But that’s what the protesters kneeling wanted. To open a dialogue.  And if even that is not acceptable if they can’t even get that. imagine how far away we must be from action. 

No wonder they feel marginalized  

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Of course dialogue won’t change anything. But that’s what the protesters kneeling wanted. To open a dialogue.  And if even that is not acceptable imagine how far away we must be from action

And I'm saying they need to take action themselves. Change needs to start in the heart...then in the mind (stop voting and supporting leaders that have the same old mentality)...then in the feet and hands. They have the power to inact change themselves. Trust me...people start seeing hearts change...communities changing...it will change the minds and support of others...but no one is going to be more invested in you then yourself or those closest to you. The players got like 90 million from the NFL for their social causes. Use it wisely..put back into these communities...but if you don't change the hearts and minds of those in them...it will all be for not. If they are successful in making changes themselves...others will follow! They don't have to seek out a conversation...they can have a conversation amongst themselves and it won't be easy nor quick...but changes can start..one step at a time..and trust me you will gather steam and others will invest in your cause because they will see the opportunity. There are a lot of ministers and I've seen some ball players reaching out to police departments and those putting funds into community centers and trying to work together to help them....but if you are just spewing "dialog" but asking for a hand out or insulting those you are trying to speak to...it's not going to get the same support I promise.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And I'm saying they need to take action themselves. Change needs to start in the heart...then in the mind (stop voting and supporting leaders that have the same old mentality)...then in the feet and hands. They have the power to inact change themselves. Trust me...people start seeing hearts change...communities changing...it will change the minds and support of others...but no one is going to be more invested in you then yourself or those closest to you. The players got like 90 million from the NFL for their social causes. Use it wisely..put back into these communities...but if you don't change the hearts and minds of those in them...it will all be for not. If they are successful in making changes themselves...others will follow! They don't have to seek out a conversation...they can have a conversation amongst themselves and it won't be easy nor quick...but changes can start..one step at a time..and trust me you will gather steam and others will invest in your cause because they will see the opportunity. There are a lot of ministers and I've seen some ball players reaching out to police departments and those putting funds into community centers and trying to work together to help them....but if you are just spewing "dialog" but asking for a hand out or insulting those you are trying to speak to...it's not going to get the same support I promise.

Once again you ignoring these men are taking action and as the minority in their areas are unable to elect leaders without outside help which starts with opening a dialogue   You can gain support for your side of an issue without talking about it  

and requires not just local support but national level help since the US government is what has allowed the militarization of local police forces  

and frankly to claim that the problems in these communities are their problem alone to fix is just divisive and unamerican   

6 hours ago, IUaic said:

Nobody is talking about social injustice or any of the other BS he said he was kneeling for. All anyone is talking about is whether or not kneeling during the National Anthem is disrespectful. 

Don't you think that's sort of the problem i.e. my point? What started out as one thing is now something else? Kind of the point to my post. Social injustice is a very real things to many people. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Once again you ignoring these men are taking action and as the minority in their areas are unable to elect leaders without outside help which starts with opening a dialogue   You can gain support for your side of an issue without talking about it  

and requires not just local support but national level help since the US government is what has allowed the militarization of local police forces  

and frankly to claim that the problems in these communities are their problem alone to fix is just divisive and unamerican   

I think we are discussing two different things. I'm talking at the local level...they aren't the minority..they are the majority. I'm also talking about a change in the hearts of men to turn away from evil. To build strong family values and not have fatherless homes. To build strong character in men to turn away from drugs and crime. Invest in themselves in bettering those in their community with services and training and invest their money back into creating jobs etc. You lower crime you lower violence and you lower the rate of shootings and the need for police to use lethal force. These are things that can be done by leaders inside of their communities....I can't just walk in and get people to buy in and change. Men and women and yes those that have a standing in the community have to start the process. America is about picking yourself up by your boot straps and dusting yourself off and working hard and the opportunity will be there to succeed. People will follow...but the America I know would say its un-American to depend on the government for anything. I'm saying the hardest work must be done...the start has to happen from within....you can pour as much money into the problem (and we have for decades) and it won't fix a thing. It isn't divisive....its the truth. We've seen successes where people have changed communities...and once change started the outside invested in...put money and resources to start businesses and jobs. Again...we both see the same issues....want the same thing...it's ok that we see fixing it in different ways. Doesn't mean I don't care or don't want to help. I've seen the same things tried over and over...but where I've seen success it's come by those in the community themselves making changes...and then investing in themselves and others followed.

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So people who feel that this is disrespectful to the flag. What’s your stance on Flag underwear, paper towels, napkins ETC?  

Thats strictly prohibited by us flag code. Which I might add doesn’t say anything about standing. 

It isn't the flag sir...it's the anthem and the moment we are to be honoring our nation.....you miss the point. Just as I'm sure you believe others miss yours.

The time set aside for the national anthem and that moment to honor our country and those that have protected it is probably similar to a moment of silence or a prayer or a memorial service. It is about a moment that many believe to be sacred. The flag itself isn't what we are worshiping or supporting in that moment....it's more than that. I will say though all those things you mentioned are pretty tacky though.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we are discussing two different things. I'm talking at the local level...they aren't the minority..they are the majority. I'm also talking about a change in the hearts of men to turn away from evil. To build strong family values and not have fatherless homes. To build strong character in men to turn away from drugs and crime. Invest in themselves in bettering those in their community with services and training and invest their money back into creating jobs etc. You lower crime you lower violence and you lower the rate of shootings and the need for police to use lethal force. These are things that can be done by leaders inside of their communities....I can't just walk in and get people to buy in and change. Men and women and yes those that have a standing in the community have to start the process. America is about picking yourself up by your boot straps and dusting yourself off and working hard and the opportunity will be there to succeed. People will follow...but the America I know would say its un-American to depend on the government for anything. I'm saying the hardest work must be done...the start has to happen from within....you can pour as much money into the problem (and we have for decades) and it won't fix a thing. It isn't divisive....its the truth. We've seen successes where people have changed communities...and once change started the outside invested in...put money and resources to start businesses and jobs. Again...we both see the same issues....want the same thing...it's ok that we see fixing it in different ways. Doesn't mean I don't care or don't want to help. I've seen the same things tried over and over...but where I've seen success it's come by those in the community themselves making changes...and then investing in themselves and others followed.

This isn’t a local issue though. Something that happens in every community isn’t local it’s a national issue. And even if it were just a local issue it would still deserve a conversation about it. 

And I would be interested in knowing which cities people of color aren’t the minority. Even LA county is over 50 percent white. So yes they are the minority most places. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It isn't the flag sir...it's the anthem and the moment we are to be honoring our nation.....you miss the point. Just as I'm sure you believe others miss yours.

It’s about respecting our nation. Which apparently is something that some people only care about when they are using an excuse to not discuss social issues. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s about respecting our nation. Which apparently is something that some people only care about when they are using an excuse to not discuss social issues. 

The national anthem is a ceremony...people don't salute, take their hat off or cross their heart every time they pass the flag. This is a special moment we take to honor our country. So it isn't about the flag itself as the what the flag is representing in that moment. Like I said...just as you think others miss what the kneeling stands for there are just as many that think you miss what the anthem is standing for. There is a time and place for everything. He can do what he likes...its a free country and yes those that have sacrificed and died did so that he can do it. Doesn't mean many people don't find it offensive to do it. Some might find it offensive to use the Lords name in vain...and others won't. However even if you don't believe in God you would probably think it offensive to curse in Church or in the middle of someone praying.

I will say....I agree that many don't understand or properly attribute the opposite side of this as well. Your make valid points especially to those who are just grand standing on the issues...and I won't lie...I'm sure there are many out there that don't want to hear the argument or recognize that there are real issues that need to be resolved and because they don't like the message they attack the messenger. I thank you for your civility in your discussion. I don't think there is a whole lot more I can add...but glad it did not result in any hard feelings.

Some bad police did bad things.  That does not mean the flag or what it repsents failed the victims.  At its core, society has failed victims of child abuse, school shootings, drunk drivers, the opiod epidemic, and hate crimes of all form and fashion.

All of those issues deserve dialogue.  But should the dialogue start by attacking the flag, which is a symbol of freedom? A symbol that milliobshave fougjt and died for?  

I happen to believe that Kapernick chose the wrong way to address the issue. He stood up for some while at the same time disrespecting others, among those millipns of people that sacrificed so yhat he could have all he did.  . It's an old saying, but two wtongs don't make a right.

I am not against dialogue as has been implied.  I am against tearing down one for the advsntage of others.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people”

Quote from Kap. This protest is very much about the flag. 

The people who are too outraged to support open dialogue about social inequality don’t even know what they are outraged about. Lol 

No, Kap is ignoring the sacrifice of all those, white and black, that sacrificed it all so Americans could be free.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Some bad police did bad things.  That does not mean the flag or what it repsents failed the victims.  At its core, society has failed victims of child abuse, school shootings, drunk drivers, the opiod epidemic, and hate crimes of all form and fashion.

All of those issues deserve dialogue.  But should the dialogue start by attacking the flag, which is a symbol of freedom? A symbol that milliobshave fougjt and died for?  

I happen to believe that Kapernick chose the wrong way to address the issue. He stood up for some while at the same time disrespecting others, among those millipns of people that sacrificed so yhat he could have all he did.  . It's an old saying, but two wtongs don't make a right.

I am not ahainst dialogue as has been implied.  I am against tearing down one for the advsntage of others.

The police are agents of the government who routinely get away with killing minoroties.  It was not society it was the country that has failed these individuals. 

Once again we come to the fact that the people that are outraged by this could have stopped it. And have chosen to complain about somebody exercising their first amendment right. Instead of addressing social concerns of fellow Americans 

Archived