Prediction: IU 29 Ball State 26 -----IF-----------

I missed the BSU-ND game yesterday, so I wonder how much Ball State actually caused themselves and how much ND might have done wrong to contribute to the close result. The stats showed them having been in NDs backfield quite a bit with decent success keeping plays behind the LOS. 

I do know that so far they are not what their record from last season suggested they may be in terms of being competitive, but they returned enough experience at several spots. It probably plays a part in them looking like a very respectable team after 2 games. I just need more than highlights too go off of , so it's hard for me to make a well informed prediction. 

I'll throw out 38-24 if it's nice out.

IU wins.  

20 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I missed the BSU-ND game yesterday, so I wonder how much Ball State actually caused themselves and how much ND might have done wrong to contribute to the close result. The stats showed them having been in NDs backfield quite a bit with decent success keeping plays behind the LOS. 

I do know that so far they are not what their record from last season suggested they may be in terms of being competitive, but they returned enough experience at several spots. It probably plays a part in them looking like a very respectable team after 2 games. I just need more than highlights too go off of , so it's hard for me to make a well informed prediction. 

I'll throw out 38-24 if it's nice out.

IU wins.  

I live in the South Bend TV market.  Channel 16(NBC) had a pre-game show on before the network coverage.  One thing I remember them talking about was how young the Cards were last year and that the youth played.  Now FFWD to this year, they might be still young but they are experienced.  Of the 3 guys on the show.......none thought ND would cover the spread.  That being said they predicted a double digit win for the Irish.

I watched the entire game.  And to be honest BSU really had a chance to win it.  But ND did look lethargic.  And the Cards did pick 3 passes.  But Ball State does have some speed guys that ND struggled with.  And FWIW, the Cards got a pretty dang good FG kicker.  The kid has a leg.

Thanks for the take and information!  Now I want to see the game too. Perhaps there is a  full game replay to be found somewhere online. 

The good thing about it being  their 2nd game of the season , also  playing ND is  one  can take away enough things with a decent degree of likelihood they could among key be factors once again vs Indiana.  

12 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Thanks for the take and information!  Now I want to see the game too. Perhaps there is a  full game replay to be found somewhere online. 

The good thing about it being  their 2nd game of the season , also  playing ND is  one  can take away enough things with a decent degree of likelihood they could among key be factors once again vs Indiana.  

Nice write up here.....

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/notre-dame/2018/09/08/3-reasons-why-notre-dame-football-beat-ball-state-24-16-brandon-wimbush-riley-neal-tevon-coney/1239973002/

1 minute ago, rico said:

No problem.

I don't know if he is or not.  I will have to get some intel on that from some of my friends that have ND ties.

Cool. I'm eager to hear their opinions.

Wimbush's career completion rate is just not what one would expect from a top 20 ranked team's offense at any high profile school with aspirations to play in title games. Much less Notre Dame with an experienced QB. Experience is only worth so much when the execution is suspect. 

I read where their only QB larger than Wimbush is 6-5 220 or so and young. More of the prototype. 

If this Avery Davis kid isn't another Tony Rice, one wonders if that O-line didn't  influence keeping the other kid 3rd to a larger degree.  Mobility out of necessity. 

As long as they win, but that's a lot of pressure being put on their defense if they can't start separating by more points earlier on in games. Good talent or not.

I watched ALL of the Ball State/Notre Dame game and I came away with this impression !!::: The Hoosiers DEFENSE had better bring their A Game !! Coach Allen and staff really need to dissect the film of the Cardinal/Irish game !! Ball State had 8 Starters returning on offense and 2 of them are listed as backups for 2018 by Athlon's 2018 pre season magazine ! The Cardinals only had 5 returning starters on defense and that is why I think they went with a ball control time consuming style of offense !! The Mid American Conference is underrated every season !! Just ask smellermaker fans what they now think of EASTERN Michigan !!!!!!!

8 hours ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I think Ian Book is potentially a better QB, but my I obviously haven't been to ND practices. I just remember seeing him play a bit last season and I thought he looked better than Wimbush then. 

Normally my cousin and my in-laws give info on ND and I listen somewhat involuntarily .Lol

I had heard his name but can't recall enough personally.  It would still be too outdated by now regardless.

Do you think there's any chance that ship might have sailed on Book's best chance to start ?   I thought he was at least a Sophomore or Junior last year?  Hard to envision an older kid falling to 3rd on the depth chart moving up again later  to start at a later time outside of an eventful situation with injuries. Not that he couldn't,  but he appears to be odd man out early on.

Catching up on the Hoosiers and B1G had to get crammed into the preseason time

In most years, I am usually better informed on them  and already looking around the country at other non B1G teams .Priorities

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

Normally my cousin and my in-laws give info on ND and I listen somewhat involuntarily .Lol

I had heard his name but can't recall enough personally.  It would still be too outdated by now regardless.

Do you think there's any chance that ship might have sailed on Book's best chance to start ?   I thought he was at least a Sophomore or Junior last year?  Hard to envision an older kid falling to 3rd on the depth chart moving up again later  to start at a later time outside of an eventful situation with injuries. Not that he couldn't,  but he appears to be odd man out early on. 

Catching up on the Hoosiers and B1G had to get crammed into the preseason time

In most years, I am usually better informed on them  and already looking around the country at other non B1G teams .Priorities

This what I was told last night by my ND buddies.  Book is a RS Junior.  And there were those that heading into this season wanted him to become the starter.  They have 7 QB's on their roster, but don't know how many of them are on scholarship.  They also said that right now, Book is 3rd on the depth chart.

I don't know of the validity of their comments but that is what they told me.

On a side note......it was unanimous among them that Kelly sucks with developing his QB corps.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

This what I was told last night by my ND buddies.  Book is a RS Junior.  And there were those that heading into this season wanted him to become the starter.  They have 7 QB's on their roster, but don't know how many of them are on scholarship.  They also said that right now, Book is 3rd on the depth chart.

I don't know of the validity of their comments but that is what they told me.

On a side note......it was unanimous among them that Kelly sucks with developing his QB corps.

And there you go.

The possibility of a larger issue with Kelly's moves is what I was starting to perceive  I wondered if it was my lack of understanding or not and still might be. To hear of people who do watch them thinking the same makes me think there could be something to it.. Things just weren't adding up to what I came away with after last season.

7 on a team in general is either a lot or I just think so because of IU's recent situation. :D I get the whole honor of playing at Notre Dame likely having something to do with 7, so it doesn't surprise me 5 or 6 guys who aren't seeing the field most of the time would want to stick around.  

If I'm ND I would only be concerned if Wimbush's shaky play persisted should they become more cohesive up front. Until then it can't be ignored  Going off highlights alone they're going to get abused if they face high level talent that has similar pass rush and coverage  except with a steady enough offense to take advantage of ND mistakes better than Ball State or Michigan.

Ask your friends if they think the Freshman kid Jurkovec is capable now if you would please?     I found his Bio on their page, then hit youtube for a few clips of him.  He looks like he might be a real player .I wonder if they're keeping him in their pocket like IU is with Penix? 

14 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

And there you go.

The possibility of a larger issue with Kelly's moves is what I was starting to perceive  I wondered if it was my lack of understanding or not and still might be. To hear of people who do watch them thinking the same makes me think there could be something to it.. Things just weren't adding up to what I came away with after last season.

7 on a team in general is either a lot or I just think so because of IU's recent situation. :D I get the whole honor of playing at Notre Dame likely having something to do with 7, so it doesn't surprise me 5 or 6 guys who aren't seeing the field most of the time would want to stick around.  

If I'm ND I would only be concerned if Wimbush's shaky play persisted should they become more cohesive up front. Until then it can't be ignored  Going off highlights alone they're going to get abused if they face high level talent that has similar pass rush and coverage  except with a steady enough offense to take advantage of ND mistakes better than Ball State or Michigan. 

Ask your friends if they think the Freshman kid Jurkovec is capable now if you would please?     I found his Bio on their page, then hit youtube for a few clips of him.  He looks like he might be a real player .I wonder if they're keeping him in their pocket like IU is with Penix? 

My understanding is if the Irish season goes South(whatever that means) Jurkovec will step in.  They view him as the QB of the future.  However if ND is in the hunt and Wimbush goes down they feel Book will be called upon.

Archived