Where were you?

rico

I hadn’t seen this thread, but it’s a good one.  My two cents:

I had just hopped out of the pool for my morning workout prior to going into the office, and saw the news in my trunks on a TV.  

The tragedy on the victims is really unspeakable.  They faced despicable evil and suffered unimaginable horror.  We are united in the compassion we have for the victims.  

I will say that I’ve never felt the same ever since.  Outside of family stuff, it was the biggest thing that ever happened that affected me.  I’d say I had one feeling in life prior to 9/11 and it changed.  There is just a difference in life after that happened.  

I’d say 9/11 and the economic crisis, while unrelated, combine to form where we are as a nation even today.  I think those are the two fundamental backdrops to the unproductive national debate we are having now.  It’s going to take time, i.e., decades, to unwind all this.  

The world has not been the same ever since.   

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I hadn’t seen this thread, but it’s a good one.  My two cents:

I had just hopped out of the pool for my morning workout prior to going into the office, and saw the news in my trunks on a TV.  

The tragedy on the victims is really unspeakable.  They faced despicable evil and suffered unimaginable horror.  We are united in the compassion we have for the victims.  

I will say that I’ve never felt the same ever since.  Outside of family stuff, it was the biggest thing that ever happened that affected me.  I’d say I had one feeling in life prior to 9/11 and it changed.  There is just a difference in life after that happened.  

I’d say 9/11 and the economic crisis, while unrelated, combine to form where we are as a nation even today.  I think those are the two fundamental backdrops to the unproductive national debate we are having now.  It’s going to take time, i.e., decades, to unwind all this.  

The world has not been the same ever since.   

Good post I want to expand on it.

I am leaving sports completely put of this.  I was born in '67.  To this day my parents still talk about JFK.  My Dad remembers how he felt when his ship was deployed in the Cuban Missle Crisis.  Defining moments in my parents lives.

Now I look at my defining moments.  You know, the historical events that take place that you remember all too well, because you were in front of a TV watching it unfold.  I vividly remember when we pulled out of Viet Nam.  Nixon resigning seems like it happened yesterday.  I was glued to the set watching the Iran hostage crisis.  The day President Reagan got shot.  The list goes on...

But 9-11-01 changed my life forever.  

And the casualties of that horrific day are still piling up.  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

This doesn't get talked about enough. That day cost millions of people their life. 

Innocent people die as a result of war. 

In addition the the physical casualties there are emotional/mental scars as well.

I came across this yesterday which I had never seen before.  Its in multiple parts.

https://youtu.be/OQ4q2JMQYX0

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This doesn't get talked about enough. That day cost millions of people their life. 

Innocent people die as a result of war. 

The deaths from the aftermath are soon to surpass those that died shortly after those bastards attacked.

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They've already far surpassed it if you include the innocent lives lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

Sorry. Greater good. You attack the USA....there will be civilian casualties in the country or countries who protect or harbor the people who carried out the acts against us. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. Greater good. You attack the USA....there will be civilian casualties in the country or countries who protect or harbor the people who carried out the acts against us. 

Yeah, I understand war and the theories that go into it. That doesn't mean it isn't tragic when innocent blood is shed. 

I was in third grade and I was at home getting ready for school and I was standing in the living room watching the news and it was after the first tower was hit but before the second tower had gotten hit of course with me being so young I couldn't wrap my head around all of it because I didn't understand what happened.

46 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

I was in third grade and I was at home getting ready for school and I was standing in the living room watching the news and it was after the first tower was hit but before the second tower had gotten hit of course with me being so young I couldn't wrap my head around all of it because I didn't understand what happened.

I understand, but you do now right?  That morning is something you won't ever forget.

OK coming out of my self appointed banishment. First to the OP great thread, I was packing up to head to the airport, when the vendor I was supposed to visit called and asked if I was still coming. Unknowingly I replied yes, then he asked if had seen the news. No, I said and after he filled me in I found a TV just in time to see the second plane! I ended up finally flying up to Minneapolis the first day they allowed planes in the air. What an eerie trip! Soldiers with automatic weapons at the airport, the plane was empty short of a handful of passengers and three flight crews trying to get home! No one talked at all the whole flight! A year later I was back in Minneapolis with a friend and coworker, not having anything to do that night we went to the Mall of America on the one year anniversary. The mall was rumored to be an anniversary attack target, how eerie was it to be in one of the worlds largest malls and there was almost no one there!

I was saddened this year when an annual county wide first responders remembrance dinner was not held here! But this I guess is part of the healing process?

Moving forward, I think FMKI01's post was great, but I have to take exception with one thought.  A friend of mine and coworker is a Muslim refugee from Kosovo; where it was the so called Christians who were the murderers. He talks of witnessing his best friend being executed in the name of Jesus! He has explained that in order to understand what was going on, he read the Christian Bible. He said after reading both the Bible and the Koran he did not see anywhere where we were supposed to be killing each other! Most people know that there are literally dozens of Christian denominations, he explains that there are 4 main Muslim denominations. We generally know of the Sunni's and the Shi'ites the two most followed denominations, but he is from one of the lesser known denominations and they do NOT believe in the kill everyone that does not believe category!

DO NOT FALL INTO THE LIE THAT THIS WAS SIMPLY A RELIGIOUS ATTACK!!!! This was an attack perpetrated by EVIL! It's as simple as that!     

10 hours ago, Drroogh said:

DO NOT FALL INTO THE LIE THAT THIS WAS SIMPLY A RELIGIOUS ATTACK!!!! This was an attack perpetrated by EVIL! It's as simple as that!     

No, it is not as simple as that.  Lots of "strange" factors and "strange" history led up to the attack.  And it dates back to the 70's.  I am particularly talking about Hussein and bin Laden.  Neither were EVIL when they were fighting for us.

4 hours ago, rico said:

No, it is not as simple as that.  Lots of "strange" factors and "strange" history led up to the attack.  And it dates back to the 70's.  I am particularly talking about Hussein and bin Laden.  Neither were EVIL when they were fighting for us.

Absolutely, my main point was it was not simply a religious attack.

Archived