College Football (Not Big Ten)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, rico said:

Tennessee loses at Rocky Top to.....Georgia St.

And paid them $950k too. How can a program with 100k strong in the stands every week, so many resources,etc....continue to be so inept. I'm sure some have that about IU Hoops over the years but boy. My Vols fan buddy is walking dead right now. New season and boom. Everything is done after 1 game for him.

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And paid them $950k too. How can a program with 100k strong in the stands every week, so many resources,etc....continue to be so inept. I'm sure some have that about IU Hoops over the years but boy. My Vols fan buddy is walking dead right now. New season and boom. Everything is done after 1 game for him.

My relatives down Knoxville way are pissed and have been for some time now.  The once proud program has turned into a laughing stock.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

My relatives down Knoxville way are pissed and have been for some time now.  The once proud program has turned into a laughing stock.

Childhood friend of mine moved to Nashville years ago. Married into UT family. Unhealthy devastation is the term she used this morning.... but more dangerous than dumb fans....getting to the apathy levels which is when you really lose a program forever. Nebraska was the same until Frost was hired. I don't know how or why it didn't happen but Mike Leach needs to be in the SEC. Might as well call him back up if I'm a UT fan. 

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Childhood friend of mine moved to Nashville years ago. Married into UT family. Unhealthy devastation is the term she used this morning.... but more dangerous than dumb fans....getting to the apathy levels which is when you really lose a program forever. Nebraska was the same until Frost was hired. I don't know how or why it didn't happen but Mike Leach needs to be in the SEC. Might as well call him back up if I'm a UT fan. 

My cousins blame the UT futility on the way they pretty much canned Phil Fulmer.  

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thought this article was a good and sad one all wrapped up together. Not a bad twitter follow either. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/lets-have-real-conversation-about-sec-coaches-hot-seat-week-1-duds-2019/

Geez you would think it is late October reading that.Lol I feel for Luke the most out of them.without knowing anything more about him or his program nor caring about the SEC much.

I think the writer covered the Vols rear end .and should have to some degree even if it Ga State they lost to.. 

To me , no coach should have to be worrying about their job after one week unless there are obvious signs it is necessary for the good of the program...as in off the field issues..

Just feels wrong to do to someone  especially knowing early season firing  talk originates in and permeates most SEC fanbases. At the same time these are the more known CFB destination type jobs everyone wants so it cmes with the turf I guess.

Still...Heaven forbid they would have to wait 2 or 3 seasons for a change to start paying dividends.Spoiled brats! Lol

1 minute ago, jblaz13 said:

Geez you would think it is late October reading that.Lol I feel for Luke the most out of them.without knowing anything more about him or his program nor caring about the SEC much.

I think the writer covered the Vols rear end .and should have to some degree even if it Ga State they lost to.. 

To me , no coach should have to be worrying about their job after one week unless there are obvious signs it is necessary for the good of the program...as in off the field issues..

Just feels wrong to do to someone  especially knowing early season firing  talk originates in and permeates most SEC fanbases. At the same time these are the more known CFB destination type jobs everyone wants so it cmes with the turf I guess.

Still...Heaven forbid they would have to wait 2 or 3 seasons for a change to start paying dividends.Spoiled brats! Lol

My timeline on knowing if a coach can do his thing has been jaded by a few hires by my 2 favorite programs. Davis/Sampson for IU and Shannon/Golden for Miami. Used to be a minimum of 5 years before I started thinking about things. Admittedly that's probably moved up a year...maybe even 2 in some cases (more in football). But I'm with you overall. 

Mr Pruitt better string some W's together very soon. Will Muschamp I've never been a fan of but as article said they might not have the $ to do anything else. Labor Day morning and these articles being written is just funny but reality I guess. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My timeline on knowing if a coach can do his thing has been jaded by a few hires by my 2 favorite programs. Davis/Sampson for IU and Shannon/Golden for Miami. Used to be a minimum of 5 years before I started thinking about things. Admittedly that's probably moved up a year...maybe even 2 in some cases (more in football). But I'm with you overall. 

Mr Pruitt better string some W's together very soon. Will Muschamp I've never been a fan of but as article said they might not have the $ to do anything else. Labor Day morning and these articles being written is just funny but reality I guess. 

I think you are fair at around 2-3 depending on the circunstances. Failing to show progress in proportion to the talent and experience is what I look at more than a specific time period.

Pattern of continuing questionable effort  is another I think warrants a fast solution ..Also if the coach isnt enacting the necessary changes to get effort out of their players they should he in jeopardy.

In the SEC 2 years seems reasonable if there is a veteran core to build from upon hire.I go toward 3 minimum before think it warrants heating seats otherwise unless there is a dramatic fall off in overall competitive level from year 1 and 2..

.A veteran led high expectation team with a settled QB situation- coming out listless and 3 years is right to fire..

I am for being patient but when it becomes obvious it isnt working programs ahould act decisively making  a change..

When it involves coming off major early departures to the NFL and  graduation messing up class balance or if there are extenuating injury circumstances .Patience for 4 years is also within reasin.on the high end.

If a coach has to discipline or suspend  a large group of key players in year 1 and 2 then if theyre doing the right thing ethically I would be patient with new faces who step in. I would give a coach in that situation extra 3-4) time if the issues stopped.Complacency is worse than having to reset for flushing  toxic players and elements of a program culture 

The days of 5 years are definitely all but gone at most schools.....Most.

Iowa gives 10 years minimum of patience Lol

On 9/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, rico said:

My cousins blame the UT futility on the way they pretty much canned Phil Fulmer.  

A once proud national power fires their long-time, national championship winning coach in a somewhat controversial fashion, spiraling the program into 10+ years of losses and mediocrity, with only small flashes of success.  Damn if that doesn't sound familiar........

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A once proud national power fires their long-time, national championship winning coach in a somewhat controversial fashion, spiraling the program into 10+ years of losses and mediocrity, with only small flashes of success.  Damn if that doesn't sound familiar........

Doesn't it though?  

On 9/2/2019 at 4:50 PM, rico said:

As a Vol fan, I think Pruitt stepped into a no-win situation other than the money.  UT has been a sinking ship, and I really don't think the alumni nor the fan base are going to tolerate "building".  They want instant gratification.

Living in Kentucky and it pains me to say but Stoops has been building things nicely there. If he was at Tennessee and given the same time frame...no doubt they could compete in the SEC East. There is no excuse for it really.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:07 AM, dgambill said:

Living in Kentucky and it pains me to say but Stoops has been building things nicely there. If he was at Tennessee and given the same time frame...no doubt they could compete in the SEC East. There is no excuse for it really.

And with that UK QB Terry Wilson is out for the year.

1 hour ago, rico said:

And with that UK QB Terry Wilson is out for the year.

Yep. Their primary back up transferred this spring after he lost out on the job and is back up at Ohio St. Gunnar Hoak could have started the whole year if he stayed...even worse they had a qb decommit a couple years ago and is backing up Tua at Alabama now so UK is hurting now. They have a grad transfer. Qb is just a position you can’t afford to lose and hope to keep winning at a high rate in SEC. I’d say they probably still make a bowl but certainly their momentum from last year will stall a bit. That said Stoops is starting to get some of his highest rated recruits so even though he had a rough few years he is building something because UK was patient. It’s a tough road in the SEC from the bottom to top but UT can still get back to very competitive with the right coach and some patience...even down as they are they still out recruit many schools.

Archived