College Football (Not Big Ten)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know I am different because I grew up all IU in every sport so I don't understand how you can be a fan of one college team in basketball and another school in football.

I have explained it several times. Back in the old IU basketball and ND football were on TV every game. Just like the Dallas cowboys and Lakers. Since I loved sports I knew more about those 4 teams than any other. I can honestly say I never saw 1  IU football game until I came to campus. We would watch channels out of Cincy or Louisville. Some of my best childhood memories were with my late father watching IU basketball and ND football.  If that makes me not a true fan than so be it. Worst case scenario I have seen each win at least 1 national championship

25 minutes ago, coachv said:

indiana being better than purdue and on equal footing with notre dame would help indiana in local recruiting, which in turn would result in more wins for the good guys. what is best for iu is poor play for any team they have to compete with for recruits and all of the big ten

Graduate of both IU and ND...

you and IU Scott have an immature opinion of ND- it's an incredible institution defined by incredible people, and I love IU, too.  Lou Holtz stated:  if you know Notre Dame, no explanation is necessary; if you don't know Notre Dame, no explanation will suffice.  Ignorance and blind hatred, or even jealousy, is not becoming, (and sounds like a Buckeye fan).  Regarding football recruiting, I'm not sure we will witness a time when IU will be "on equal footing with Notre Dame"- IU and ND shop down different aisles.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have explained it several times. Back in the old IU basketball and ND football were on TV every game. Just like the Dallas cowboys and Lakers. Since I loved sports I knew more about those 4 teams than any other. I can honestly say I never saw 1  IU football game until I came to campus. We would watch channels out of Cincy or Louisville. Some of my best childhood memories were with my late father watching IU basketball and ND football.  If that makes me not a true fan than so be it. Worst case scenario I have seen each win at least 1 national championship

Back in the day before cable there were only a couple of college games on every week.  I probably saw 1 or 2 IU games a year and listened to the rest of the games on the radio.

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Because u lived in central Indiana. In Southeast Indiana OSU  and ND were the.only football options. 

Would think SE Indiana would be prime Indiana territory.  I lived in Rush county and it was mainly IU all the way.  We had many radio stations that carried IU football and basketball in that area.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Would think SE Indiana would be prime Indiana territory.  I lived in Rush county and it was mainly IU all the way.  We had many radio stations that carried IU football and basketball in that area.

You would think that when my house was 7 miles from Ohio and 25 minutes from Cincy. Ch 4 covered all IU basketball games. Maybe I was just too lazy to become a true fan and search for the IU football coverage on the radio.  Instead of turning on TV and watch a team competing at a high level.

43 minutes ago, NDIUVU said:

you and IU Scott have an immature opinion of ND- it's an incredible institution defined by incredible people, and I love IU, too.  Lou Holtz stated:  if you know Notre Dame, no explanation is necessary; if you don't know Notre Dame, no explanation will suffice.  Ignorance and blind hatred, or even jealousy, is not becoming, (and sounds like a Buckeye fan).  Regarding football recruiting, I'm not sure we will witness a time when IU will be "on equal footing with Notre Dame"- IU and ND shop down different aisles.

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation !

Call it a young person's notion. However, when I was very young. I pulled for all in state schools.  Simply, because they were in Indiana.  Still have a healthy respect for ND. Both FB an BB.  Not so much for PU, any more (sorry Boiler). 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Call it a young person's notion. However, when I was very young. I pulled for all in state schools.  Simply, because they were in Indiana.  Still have a healthy respect for ND. Both FB an BB.  Not so much for PU, any more (sorry Boiler). 

Growing up I did not mind ND basketball and watched many of their weekend games since NBC would show their games.  I have nothing against the university because it is one of the best institutions in the country.  I just dislike how arrogant some of their football fans can be like OSU fans.

1 hour ago, NDIUVU said:

Not ignorant nor immature.

Grew up in a Catholic household and attended Catholic schools through high school. Was an ND fan the entire time.

I live an hour from South Bend and have worked in the Mishawaka/South Bend/Elkhart markets. Have great clients and friends who live there. 

No “blindness” and far from jealous. My opinion of Notre Dame changed when I became an adult and realized how patently arrogant the alumni is. I have good friends who graduated from ND and they proudly admit their supposed superiority. I have had to bite my tongue more times than I can count over the brash statements that come out of the mouths of ND alums.

Your Holtz quote is the epitome of  the supposed ND superiority. Where have you ever heard a representative of any other university make that claim?

Welcome to the board. Hope your future posts stay on target with IU

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Couldn't care less what state they are in because I am an IU fan and I don't care if ND ever wins a game.  ND never acts like they are from Indiana and they seem to act like they are to good for this state.

Good for you Scott...thanks for your opinion.  I will value it like I do so many of them...

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks Mile. Pretty much sums up now I feel.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you kind sir!  Have read this board in silence for a year or longer.  Have admired your level-headed, courteous, restrained fandom from afar.  Was moved to reply to perceived vitriol towards a revered and honorable institution, that has been instrumental in making me who I am.  I will continue to "stay tuned", without much contribution, as IU is also quite dear to me, athletically and academically

Regarding support of state schools, I , too, in general desire success for the lot, as it lifts the profile and exposure of our home state.  But I draw the line at West Lafayette- just have viewed the Boilermakers as anathema since childhood, and am incapable of wishing them goodwill without breaking out in a nasty rash. Lol

Go Big Red!  Spartans are not going to know what hit 'em!

10 minutes ago, NDIUVU said:

Thank you kind sir!  Have read this board in silence for a year or longer.  Have admired your level-headed, courteous, restrained fandom from afar.  Was moved to reply to perceived vitriol towards a revered and honorable institution, that has been instrumental in making me who I am.  I will continue to "stay tuned", without much contribution, as IU is also quite dear to me, athletically and academically

Regarding support of state schools, I , too, in general desire success for the lot, as it lifts the profile and exposure of our home state.  But I draw the line at West Lafayette- just have viewed the Boilermakers as anathema since childhood, and am incapable of wishing them goodwill without breaking out in a nasty rash. Lol

Thank you for your kind words. Do what you wish.  My wish is that you contribute more often.  However, I understand, if you choose not to.  And will leave that up to you.

Go Big Red.  Haven't heard that for a long time.  And I say to you in response.... Go N.D. !

Always loved the games we have had in the past,  both on the grid iron and on the hard court.

5 hours ago, NDIUVU said:

while i agree we will probably never stand on equal footing with the irish in football, you know how to get yourself in a twist about things you make up and that were never said. just try to calm down

48 minutes ago, NDIUVU said:

"thank you kind sir!" did i just stumble into sherwood forest? must be all those damn bud light commercials

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not ignorant nor immature.

Grew up in a Catholic household and attended Catholic schools through high school. Was an ND fan the entire time.

I live an hour from South Bend and have worked in the Mishawaka/South Bend/Elkhart markets. Have great clients and friends who live there. 

No “blindness” and far from jealous. My opinion of Notre Dame changed when I became an adult and realized how patently arrogant the alumni is. I have good friends who graduated from ND and they proudly admit their supposed superiority. I have had to bite my tongue more times than I can count over the brash statements that come out of the mouths of ND alums.

Your Holtz quote is the epitome of  the supposed ND superiority. Where have you ever heard a representative of any other university make that claim?

Welcome to the board. Hope your future posts stay on target with IU

actually, if i had not attended iu and was looking for a team to root for, it would probably be notre dame. lots of great history, an outlier, don't come out in a new football costume every game, old stadium. it's like knute rockne, rudy, and hoosiers movie all rolled in one. like the hansen brothers said, "old time football!". but any school that gets a recruit indiana might otherwise get i don't root for. wasn't long ago the irish went thru a rough patch. hell, if we had a concurrently put together a a run of 8-4, 9-3 seasons, we might start ro steal a few 4 stars from them. as far as the argument about lifting the football profile of the state if all indiana teams do well? lifting it with who? "boy, that state of indiana sure is producing some good football!" said no one ever. but if allen can keep up the recruiting momentum maybe we can become the iowa of indiana. is that too much to ask? 

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Growing up I did not mind ND basketball and watched many of their weekend games since NBC would show their games.  I have nothing against the university because it is one of the best institutions in the country.  I just dislike how arrogant some of their football fans can be like OSU fans.

Kind of like IU basketball fans... just saying. Success tends to do that to most fan bases.

Archived