College Football (Not Big Ten)

On 11/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, Zlinedavid said:

If they would have said former FSU defensive back Myron Rolle (a former Rhodes Scholar that retired from the NFL early to enter medical school and is now, quite literally, a brain surgeon)....maybe I'd have bought it. 

And I loved Deion as a player but the FSU administration has been taking LSD or something.  Deion as an NFL position coach I could see. 

College coaching to me is all about your coordinators. You need a recruiter and leader of men. Deion could do fine with great offensive and good defensive coordinators. Let them handle the offense and just get kids fired up. With the rules the way they are it’s more about the talent rather than schemes anymore. Besides with clock stoppage on first downs etc it’s much easier for managing time too.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

College coaching to me is all about your coordinators. You need a recruiter and leader of men. Deion could do fine with great offensive and good defensive coordinators. Let them handle the offense and just get kids fired up. With the rules the way they are it’s more about the talent rather than schemes anymore. Besides with clock stoppage on first downs etc it’s much easier for managing time too.

Is "Primetime" gonna hire an administrative coordinator?  'Cause he needs one.

LSU just rolling the tide. I suspect Alabama will come out throwing haymakers. If Tigers can take time off the clock and score another 10pts they should win. Not sure how Alabama can stay in the playoff race if they lose but I’m sure something crazy will happen and some more teams will lose and they will make it back in...NCAA needs to sell tickets to these big games.

Great game by LSU. I wish they wouldn’t have given up that last score making it closer than it really was. I can already see the commission angling for Alabama to make the playoffs for round two. That said they lost at home and it was a two score game basically the whole way. They haven’t beat anyone of caliber this year and likely Auburn will be a 4 loss team. I do think they possibly could be one of the top teams in the country with a healthy Tua but they deserve to be penalized for their schedule.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Great game by LSU. I wish they wouldn’t have given up that last score making it closer than it really was. I can already see the commission angling for Alabama to make the playoffs for round two. That said they lost at home and it was a two score game basically the whole way. They haven’t beat anyone of caliber this year and likely Auburn will be a 4 loss team. I do think they possibly could be one of the top teams in the country with a healthy Tua but they deserve to be penalized for their schedule.

SEC, SEC, SEC, SEC........meh

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Because they should 

Do you think Ole Miss winning against LSU would devalue either LSU or Bama enough to sneak maybe an unbeaten Minny and one loss Ohio State in - should that be how things ultimately match up and then play out in Indy? 

As of now I agree with you generally on both . Ever since Oklahoma lost, it just opened the door wide for the LSU -Bama loser. 

Going into yesterday I thought Bama -LSU loser would have little to fear with a 1st loss.

Is Bama one of the 4 best teams in country? Probably. Do I believe Bama deserves a shot at National Title if the can't even win their own division? Absolutely not. If you can't win  your division...you shouldn't get a chance to win a national title. My guess.....Bama/Saban will probably back their way into another title shot....just like 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2017 teams who got a chance to win title even though they had a regular season loss.

11 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

You should have to beat more than 1 competent team (assuming Alabama beats Auburn) to make the playoff. 

I agree. Look back at UCF undefeated season. They got left out because of their schedule. Alabama this year should be punished for their schedule. If you are going to play that crap out of conference schedule then you lose your conference well you have no one to blame but yourself. Honestly if you don’t honor teams like Oregon or Oklahoma who likely would win their conference or even a Georgia who we know more about because they went out of their conference and won against good competition then can we say Alabama is the 4th best team? They may have one ranked win this year. What do we know about them? They blow out bad teams? LSU was a home game...they counted on winning that game so they thought they can cake walk. The only way to push these teams to step up the competition outside their conference like Clemson and Oregon and Auburn and Texas etc are doing is to say if you lose a game you better have good out of conference competition. Teams need to know they risk missing out if they don’t schedule and they lose a game. Otherwise Alabama will have learned nothing and we will get the same crap scheduling. LSU and others said there is a chance we lose a game in conference. How do we ensure ourselves we can make the playoffs...let’s go schedule Texas. Oregon same...let’s schedule Auburn...that’s what we want. You schedule Duke or UL and I’m sorry that just doesn’t cut it imo.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree. Look back at UCF undefeated season. They got left out because of their schedule. Alabama this year should be punished for their schedule. If you are going to play that crap out of conference schedule then you lose your conference well you have no one to blame but yourself. Honestly if you don’t honor teams like Oregon or Oklahoma who likely would win their conference or even a Georgia who we know more about because they went out of their conference and won against good competition then can we say Alabama is the 4th best team? They may have one ranked win this year. What do we know about them? They blow out bad teams? LSU was a home game...they counted on winning that game so they thought they can cake walk. The only way to push these teams to step up the competition outside their conference like Clemson and Oregon and Auburn and Texas etc are doing is to say if you lose a game you better have good out of conference competition. Teams need to know they risk missing out if they don’t schedule and they lose a game. Otherwise Alabama will have learned nothing and we will get the same crap scheduling. LSU and others said there is a chance we lose a game in conference. How do we ensure ourselves we can make the playoffs...let’s go schedule Texas. Oregon same...let’s schedule Auburn...that’s what we want. You schedule Duke or UL and I’m sorry that just doesn’t cut it imo.

I get 'Bama plays LSU and Auburn every year.  And in any given year A&M, Ole Miss, and Missy St. can have a top notch season.  The problem with the entire SEC is their crossover games.  Remember Bama plays UT every year...so the Tide just rotates one team every year.  This year they played USCe.

Oregon lost to Auburn on a hail mary, on a neutral field, when Auburn was healthy.  Bama is going to have to count an Auburn team, that is going to probably be in a total tailspin by the end of the regular season, as their best win.  Really think this is the year Bama gets punished finally for a crap schedule. 

Most years I don't think IU could remotely compete with Bama. In a bowl game this year, with pro prospects sitting out, and the difference in motivation between the teams, I would like our chances.

3 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Do you think Ole Miss winning against LSU would devalue either LSU or Bama enough to sneak maybe an unbeaten Minny and one loss Ohio State in - should that be how things ultimately match up and then play out in Indy? 

As of now I agree with you generally on both . Ever since Oklahoma lost, it just opened the door wide for the LSU -Bama loser. 

Going into yesterday I thought Bama -LSU loser would have little to fear with a 1st loss.

Here's how my logic would go in that scenario. Assuming Clemson runs the table, they're in. Minnesota just beat what was a CFP lock and are undefeated. They're in.

Here's the wild cards: Does Oregon also run the table and best Utah in the P12 title game? Yes, the P12 is soft as Charmin, but undefeated in a P5 conference gets you in the conversation. Same goes for Baylor, if they assumingly beat OU again in the B12 title game. I think if this happens, at least one of those two get in.

That leaves OSU, Bama and LSU (assuming they beat Georgia in the SEC title game) with one hypothetical loss,and the other of Baylor and Oregon.

It's possible. OSU would have the better loss between them and LSU, and LSU would have the head to head edge vs Bama. But, what are the odds a 1-loss SEC champion gets left out? That would make things interesting.

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Oregon lost to Auburn on a hail mary, on a neutral field, when Auburn was healthy.  Bama is going to have to count an Auburn team, that is going to probably be in a total tailspin by the end of the regular season, as their best win.  Really think this is the year Bama gets punished finally for a crap schedule. 

Most years I don't think IU could remotely compete with Bama. In a bowl game this year, with pro prospects sitting out, and the difference in motivation between the teams, I would like our chances.

I predict an Alabama vs Oklahoma matchup in Cotton Bowl outside the playoffs. You have the qb matchup...coaching matchup...and offensive firepower to have a great game. I think Oklahoma probably should get in over Utah/Oregon for the 4th seed but I think the temptation to put the matchups together will override. I see OSU/Oregon and Clemson/LSU. That’s just me though.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Is ND better than LSU, UF, Auburn, UGA, or Bama? No. 6th best. 

Probably better than Florida and Auburn. Obviously similar to Georgia. 

3/4 is about right. 

The reality is the SEC after LSU and Alabama is OK but not materially different from the ND/Wisconsin/etc tier of teams. 

6 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

Probably better than Florida and Auburn. Obviously similar to Georgia. 

3/4 is about right. 

The reality is the SEC after LSU and Alabama is OK but not materially different from the ND/Wisconsin/etc tier of teams. 

They arent better than either one of those lol 

Idk how many times it takes ND to lose to these teams until people come to the realization that ND football is just ok. Its certainly not elite. 

Auburn, UF, UGA are all better than Wis and ND. ND could barely beat VT at home.. I was there. They're ok. 

Archived