College Football (Not Big Ten)

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Snow, rain, sleet, 110 degrees, indoor outdoor... talents talent and ND lacks that in bunches. 

Last time they played it was hurricane and Clemson beat them. 

And that was a close game...

And TBH, I care as much about Clemson as I do 'Bama...

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the scary thing. There's  about 10-15 really good teams in college football and there are about 3-4 elite level teams. The difference between being really good and elite is so huge. Was joking with a few friends last night and the comment he made about his team (Oregon). He said we are 2 years away from being 2 years away to compete with that talent on the field. Might be able to keep it close with coaching/strategy for a half....but full 60?

Thought it was  pretty funny but very true. One last thing. Maybe it's the Eastern Time Zone tv guy in me.....but either move the start up or for the love of all things stop stopping the clock after every first down. 4 hours and 30 minute games? No thanks!

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's the scary thing. There's  about 10-15 really good teams in college football and there are about 3-4 elite level teams. The difference between being really good and elite is so huge. Was joking with a few friends last night and the comment he made about his team (Oregon). He said we are 2 years away from being 2 years away to compete with that talent on the field. Might be able to keep it close with coaching/strategy for a half....but full 60?

Thought it was  pretty funny but very true. One last thing. Maybe it's the Eastern Time Zone tv guy in me.....but either move the start up or for the love of all things stop stopping the clock after every first down. 4 hours and 30 minute games? No thanks!

Clemson, Bama, OSU every year... LSU obviously this year. We will see if LSU can stick, my guess is yes by the plethora of talent that they are bringing in. 

Those 4 teams talent level is just insane. Georgia is right there, as well. No coincidence 3 of those teams are in the SEC. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Clemson, Bama, OSU every year... LSU obviously this year. We will see if LSU can stick, my guess is yes by the plethora of talent that they are bringing in. 

Those 4 teams talent level is just insane. Georgia is right there, as well. No coincidence 3 of those teams are in the SEC. 

And with the Houston stud QB entering the transfer portal again.....LSU might strike gold again in the portal although early signs is the kid wants to follow Briles and go to Arkansas.

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And with the Houston stud QB entering the transfer portal again.....LSU might strike gold again in the portal although early signs is the kid wants to follow Briles and go to Arkansas.

Might think twice after that game last night lol 

Plus.. wouldnt any QB was Chase to throw to? 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

LSU ebbs and flows depending on QB play.  They have had elite talent since before Orgeron was there...but were one dimensional on offense.  It will be interesting to see if they revert back to that, post-Burrow.  

I believe Georgia is going to take a step back in 2020.  They are losing 3 offensive linemen, their starting QB and RB as underclassmen leaving for the NFL Draft.  They also have a starting (5-star) OL transferring to UT , a linebacker (5-star non-starter) to Florida and a non-starter but contributor DB (4-star) to someplace to be determined.  Besides the early declarations and transfer, they lose their top 2 Tight Ends, their #2 RB, their 3 top DL, their top Linebacker and their kicker to graduation.     They have plenty of talent to step forward...Fromm (QB) and Swift (RB) will be the hardest to replace.  

I foresee Florida being an up and coming program in the SEC East, and Bama returning to the top of the SEC West.  OSU and Clemson will be back, as well.  

57 minutes ago, btownqb said:

LSU will be at that level for a long time now.  Coach O will own Louisiana and the surrounding area as long as he's there.  Native Cajun leading LSU to a national title....that'd be like Brad Stevens coming here and going 40-0. 

Edit: And what's scary is Clemson's ascent.  2008, they were in that "good, but just another program" category.  After Swinney's first three years, haven't won fewer than 10 games since, 2 national titles, 2 additional CFP title appearances and 3 additional NY6 bowls. 

21 minutes ago, Madmaxvol said:

LSU ebbs and flows depending on QB play.  They have had elite talent since before Orgeron was there...but were one dimensional on offense.  It will be interesting to see if they revert back to that, post-Burrow.  

I believe Georgia is going to take a step back in 2020.  They are losing 3 offensive linemen, their starting QB and RB as underclassmen leaving for the NFL Draft.  They also have a starting (5-star) OL transferring to UT , a linebacker (5-star non-starter) to Florida and a non-starter but contributor DB (4-star) to someplace to be determined.  Besides the early declarations and transfer, they lose their top 2 Tight Ends, their #2 RB, their 3 top DL, their top Linebacker and their kicker to graduation.     They have plenty of talent to step forward...Fromm (QB) and Swift (RB) will be the hardest to replace.  

I foresee Florida being an up and coming program in the SEC East, and Bama returning to the top of the SEC West.  OSU and Clemson will be back, as well.  

Most teams success are determined by QB play. 

Burrow, Tua, Lawrence, Watson, Jones, Winston, Newton, Young, Tebow, Leinart... big time QB play is almost a must to win a NC right now in football. 

58 minutes ago, Madmaxvol said:

Spot on regarding Georgia.  They really tanked compared to discussion of being the shoe-in second SEC school in the playoffs.  Kirby has recruited well, but his coaching has been suspect.  Now they have huge losses to the NFL and because of transfer.   You could see a big shift with Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky finishing above Georgia next year.  If that happens, recruiting will suffer, and I don't see Kirby outcoaching teams with comparable talent. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Most teams success are determined by QB play. 

Burrow, Tua, Lawrence, Watson, Jones, Winston, Newton, Young, Tebow, Leinart... big time QB play is almost a must to win a NC right now in football. 

True...but LSU's mediocre QB play is what kept them from being elite in recent years.  Imagine what their teams could have been with a Burrow or Lawrence type of QB with runners like Fournette and Guice.  They have had elite backs, receivers and linemen for the better part of the last decade...but their QB play is what has kept them behind Bama and Auburn for most of that time.   

1 hour ago, Madmaxvol said:

True...but LSU's mediocre QB play is what kept them from being elite in recent years.  Imagine what their teams could have been with a Burrow or Lawrence type of QB with runners like Fournette and Guice.  They have had elite backs, receivers and linemen for the better part of the last decade...but their QB play is what has kept them behind Bama and Auburn for most of that time.   

I agree.. some was HCs/OCs style of play as well. They finally agreed to sling it to their playmakers. 

That SEC some of you like to rag on for no reason at all went 8-2 in bowl games. 

Miss St loss to UL in a good game and Auburn lost to Minnesota in a good game. 

Tennessee won a close one, so did UK, and TAM. 

Bama, UGA flexed their muscle. UF was a solid game, but they pretty well controlled the whole thing. 

There is no question this is the best conference in football, just like there's no question the B1G is the 2nd best conference in football.

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

That SEC some of you like to rag on for no reason at all went 8-2 in bowl games. 

Miss St loss to UL in a good game and Auburn lost to Minnesota in a good game. 

Tennessee won a close one, so did UK, and TAM. 

Bama, UGA flexed their muscle. UF was a solid game, but they pretty well controlled the whole thing. 

There is no question this is the best conference in football, just like there's no question the B1G is the 2nd best conference in football.

Would you please quit watching ESPN!  LOL

Wasn't sure where to put this. In college thread or NFL thread. Anyway...Joe Brady leaving LSU to Carolina isn't new news since it happened yesterday but bigger thing to me is this. He was a grad assistant at Penn St 5 years ago and is now OC for Carolina Panthers. Life lesson here gang. When the bell rings be ready to take your shot. 5 years. Wow. 

Archived