College Football (Not Big Ten)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a general observation. Florida St, Florida, Tennessee, UCLA, Nebraska, Texas....these programs have been or were the gold standard for so long. It's amazing to me given the resources they commit to football what their programs look like. I know things can change with new coaches...but wow.

I mean watching a bad Florida team beat up Tennessee in a half full stadium? That game was THE game for so long. Kind of sad to see actually as a fan of college football. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general observation. Florida St, Florida, Tennessee, UCLA, Nebraska, Texas....these programs have been or were the gold standard for so long. It's amazing to me given the resources they commit to football what their programs look like. I know things can change with new coaches...but wow.

I mean watching a bad Florida team beat up Tennessee in a half full stadium? That game was THE game for so long. Kind of sad to see actually as a fan of college football. 

I can definitely speak for UT as I follow the Vols.  They did the Bill Mallory/Joe Tiller thing when they ran Phil Fulmer off the field.  They have never recovered.  Bad hires out the ying yang at HC.  

Nebraska is one I will try to tackle.  They had their coach.  They just didn't stick with him.  He is doing great at Ohio.  They made a HR hire this time but the Huskers are at a disadvantage geographically when it comes to recruiting.

To me FSU, Fla, and Texas have no excuses regardless of the coaching changes.

As far as UCLA?  You sure you didn't mean USC.?  I never considered the Bruins as a gold standard.

That is all I have right now!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, rico said:

I can definitely speak for UT as I follow the Vols.  They did the Bill Mallory/Joe Tiller thing when they ran Phil Fulmer off the field.  They have never recovered.  Bad hires out the ying yang at HC.  

Nebraska is one I will try to tackle.  They had their coach.  They just didn't stick with him.  He is doing great at Ohio.  They made a HR hire this time but the Huskers are at a disadvantage geographically when it comes to recruiting.

To me FSU, Fla, and Texas have no excuses regardless of the coaching changes.

As far as UCLA?  You sure you didn't mean USC.?  I never considered the Bruins as a gold standard.

That is all I have right now!!!!!!

Should have put USC in there too. I put UCLA in there because they made the Rose Bowl or other New Year's Day Bowls (when that was important) I think 7-8x over 15 years during 80's and 90's. Basically have sucked since 2000.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Should have put USC in there too. I put UCLA in there because they made the Rose Bowl or other New Year's Day Bowls (when that was important) I think 7-8x over 15 years during 80's and 90's. Basically have sucked since 2000.

Gotcha.......UCLA has no excuse either.  

Interesting development. Clemson announced this week starting qb Kelly Bryant would be backup to 5 star phenom Trevor Lawrence. That now makes 4 qb's who have left Clemson since January. Move was made only 4 games in so I'm assuming Dabo was doing him a favor so he could still redshirt. Anyway...Lawrence is really, really good but Dabo and Clemson better hope he doesn't get injured. Could derail a Final 4 team. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting development. Clemson announced this week starting qb Kelly Bryant would be backup to 5 star phenom Trevor Lawrence. That now makes 4 qb's who have left Clemson since January. Move was made only 4 games in so I'm assuming Dabo was doing him a favor so he could still redshirt. Anyway...Lawrence is really, really good but Dabo and Clemson better hope he doesn't get injured. Could derail a Final 4 team. 

And Bryant missed practice both Monday (excused) and yesterday (unexcused) lending fuel to the fire that he may be looking to transfer. Would qualify under grad transfer rules to play immediately next year if he does not play anymore this year.

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

And Bryant missed practice both Monday (excused) and yesterday (unexcused) lending fuel to the fire that he may be looking to transfer. Would qualify under grad transfer rules to play immediately next year if he does not play anymore this year.

Bryant already announced he is transferring so he's gone. They do still have Chase Brice who was a very highly rated QB (so I assume capable to serve as a solid backup) out of high school but my guess is Dabo didn't anticipate this move at all or he probably wouldn't have done it. Buyer beware to any kid who wants to play for this guy...as a modern philosopher once said...these ho's aint loyal. 

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

I clearly do not understand this chart. How does IU with 3 wins have no territory and Purdue with one win has land in three separate areas?

It's week to week. Since MSU beat us last week, they take all of our land. Since Purdue won last week, they take all of BC's previous land. You lose all land you have previously acquired if you lose a game, but then you can win back new land by beating a new team.

It's not a situation where the chart continues to be whittled down until only one team is remaining.

6 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Bryant already announced he is transferring so he's gone. They do still have Chase Brice who was a very highly rated QB (so I assume capable to serve as a solid backup) out of high school but my guess is Dabo didn't anticipate this move at all or he probably wouldn't have done it. Buyer beware to any kid who wants to play for this guy...as a modern philosopher once said...these ho's aint loyal. 

I would love to see him at IU.......but somehow I think maybe Florida or Auburn.  

On 9/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, Seeking6 said:

Update from the point I brought up Wednesday. Trevor Lawrence injured and has left the game. Clemson down 13-7 to Syracuse late in 2nd.

7 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

They are but Bama would absolutely destroy them.  I hope they make it as the 4 seed.

Yeah, that is what Bama fans thought a few years back when tOSU kicked their southern butts.  BTW, anyone keeping an eye on UK?  I bet Bama and UGA are.

Interesting comments from Saban yesterday about student section being empty at last week Bama game. I know we've had some issues with our students being late or no shows. Just thought it's funny that if a dynasty has trouble filling the student section...should Fred start exploring the idea of reducing the number of student tickets again?

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting comments from Saban yesterday about student section being empty at last week Bama game. I know we've had some issues with our students being late or no shows. Just thought it's funny that if a dynasty has trouble filling the student section...should Fred start exploring the idea of reducing the number of student tickets again?

Students are doing a better job of showing up than the alums.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Does 'Bama sell alcohol?

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow....watching Louisville play Georgia Tech and they don't even look like the same team we are used to seeing. It's about a full meltdown on their board. They are calling for Brohm....

Petrino’s buyout is huge. Don’t see them making a move this year. 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow....watching Louisville play Georgia Tech and they don't even look like the same team we are used to seeing. It's about a full meltdown on their board. They are calling for Brohm....

Wow 66-31........ouch.  

Archived