College Football (Not Big Ten)

49 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Notre Dame getting benefit of the doubt EVERY time?  You probably are not referring to the old system of how national titles worked.  As 1988 and 1993 were so at odds with everything for ND. 

So much ND hate here.  I don't get it.

Guess I was referring to the current playoff system, not what was in place 25-30 years ago..

I have said this many times before. I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school all through high school. I was an ND fan all that time. 

My opinion changed once I became an adult, met or knew ND alumni, and realized how arrogant and condescending many of them are. I worked in the Elkhart/Mishawaka markets several years, saw it first hand every day, and had to bite my tongue more times than I can count.

Hate is too strong of a word for something as insignificant as sports. However I can’t think of many, if any occasions where I would root for ND

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Probably because people are tired of the reversible jacket IU basketball/ND football fans.

Yeah, I can see that.  That bothers me some.  Flipping allegience seems odd.  The other part as Steuben pointed out, proximity of the fanbase doesn't help.  Every fan base has 'those' fans, but when you deal with them every day, iirritation is amplified infinitely.  I have worked with a Kentucky fan at every job. My employer for the last year has one of 'those'.

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Guess I was referring to the current playoff system, not what was in place 25-30 years ago..

I have said this many times before. I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school all through high school. I was an ND fan all that time. 

My opinion changed once I became an adult, met or knew ND alumni, and realized how arrogant and condescending many of them are. I worked in the Elkhart/Mishawaka markets several years, saw it first hand every day, and had to bite my tongue more times than I can count.

Hate is too strong of a word for something as insignificant as sports. However I can’t think of many, if any occasions where I would root for ND

I really don't know what you are driving at here.  I see hatred.  The venom is there.  

21 minutes ago, rico said:

I somehow missed this but West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen left Morgantown to become the HC at Houston.

One of the strangest moves made. Going from a P5 conference to not. Of course he's getting more $ at Houston and obviously easier for recruiting. Sounds like he and West Virginia were at a point where it was time to go separate ways. Of course if he lights it up at Houston he could be positioning himself for one of the big regional jobs in Texas if their current coaches don't win big over the next 4-5 years.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One of the strangest moves made. Going from a P5 conference to not. Of course he's getting more $ at Houston and obviously easier for recruiting. Sounds like he and West Virginia were at a point where it was time to go separate ways. Of course if he lights it up at Houston he could be positioning himself for one of the big regional jobs in Texas if their current coaches don't win big over the next 4-5 years.

On the outside it does appear to be strange.  But Dana is very familiar with the area as he as had stints with Texas Tech, Okie St., and yes Houston before becoming a HC at WV.  The caveat is that I have read that the Big 12 is looking to expand.  The Cougars would be a natural for that conference.  But in any case, that was big time get for Houston.

38 minutes ago, rico said:

On the outside it does appear to be strange.  But Dana is very familiar with the area as he as had stints with Texas Tech, Okie St., and yes Houston before becoming a HC at WV.  The caveat is that I have read that the Big 12 is looking to expand.  The Cougars would be a natural for that conference.  But in any case, that was big time get for Houston.

Do you think someone looks at UCF as part of expansion?  Basketball team playing solid as well not sure about the rest of the sports.

3 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Do you think someone looks at UCF as part of expansion?  Basketball team playing solid as well not sure about the rest of the sports.

ACC would be natural for UCF. Or the ACC could go really big and add UCF to one division and ND to the other? Haha

2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Yes, I absolutely do.  I imagine the landscape will look a lot different 10 years from now.  Lots of talk about the P5 conferences going to 16 teams so if that is the case, there will be a lot of shuffling.  Add to it, the Big 12 only has 10 as it stands right now.  

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I feel like they almost have to.  If they don’t they actually devalue the conf championship don’t they? 

It worked in ND's favor this year.  But at some point down the road them not playing a conference championship will bite them in the rear end.  

42 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder if the NCAA will at sometime force ND to join a conference?

Don’t know if the NCAA can/will do that, but I think economics will. The sweet NBC deal that ND had seems paltry as compared to the current conference deals. The concept of staying independent was fed by the idea that ND didn’t want to give up their cash cow. Nor did they want to give up their “dedicated “ network. Those rationalizations aren’t valid anymore, and with the difficulties they will face getting into the playoffs, imo they will make the decision to join a conference 

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody watching the championship game?

Tiawan Mullen's brother has had an Int, Sack, and forced fumble.

Yeah he's playing fantastic. Hoping his brother has a similar impact for the Hoosiers. Which I think he will.

Surprised by how much scoring there has been up to this point.

1 minute ago, KDB said:

Yeah he's playing fantastic. Hoping his brother has a similar impact for the Hoosiers. Which I think he will.

Surprised by how much scoring there has been up to this point.

I think Tiawan is going to be a complete stud for us.  Lock down guy.  Get used to Mullen Island!

I'm surprised Clemson has created 2 turnovers.  And they've forced 2 fumbles that Bama recovered.

I can't believe that fake field goal.  Clemson had their normal defensive coverage set up as if Bama had a QB in.  No idea what they were thinking there.

Archived