College Football (Not Big Ten)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is a benefit of the doubt to be had, ND is going to get it, every time.

Two teams viewed as equals, ND gets the nod. Simple explanation. Their fan base travels. They spend money. Economic boom for the city holding the game, advertisers sponsoring the game, network showing the game. World we live in. Lots of money being spent on these telecasts. Deserving or not of being in the game, if it can be justified in any way, shape or form, ND is in, being the cash cow that they are 

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If there is a benefit of the doubt to be had, ND is going to get it, every time.

Two teams viewed as equals, ND gets the nod. Simple explanation. Their fan base travels. They spend money. Economic boom for the city holding the game, advertisers sponsoring the game, network showing the game. World we live in. Lots of money being spent on these telecasts. Deserving or not of being in the game, if it can be justified in any way, shape or form, ND is in, being the cash cow that they are 

I have always maintained that if ND suffers one loss they are in trouble to get into the CFP.  They deserved to be there this year.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Schedule is garbage?  How would have IU done playing their schedule?

ND schedule is misleading. Teams in conferences play each other every year, get to know opponent’s systems, coaches’ tendencies, etc. That familiarity provides some leveling of the playing fields. Regardless of talent discrepancies, that factor is a major reason why a team like IU can play competitively against OSU, Penn St and the two Michigan schools most seasons.

ND plays a few teams each season, but by and large they play new opponents if not every season, every few years. When ND has a talent advantage, and their opponents are unfamiliar with how they play, talent is going to win out more times than not. 

Put ND in a conference playing the same opponents year in and year out, and their advantage disappears, imo.

51 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You know things are going poorly for ND when comparisons to IU are their only bright spot. xD

Well, Notre Dame's season lasted a month longer than ours did.  And they were in the CFP.  We can only dream of a season like theirs.

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

ND schedule is misleading. Teams in conferences play each other every year, get to know opponent’s systems, coaches’ tendencies, etc. That familiarity provides some leveling of the playing fields. Regardless of talent discrepancies, that factor is a major reason why a team like IU can play competitively against OSU, Penn St and the two Michigan schools most seasons.

ND plays a few teams each season, but by and large they play new opponents if not every season, every few years. When ND has a talent advantage, and their opponents are unfamiliar with how they play, talent is going to win out more times than not. 

Put ND in a conference playing the same opponents year in and year out, and their advantage disappears, imo.

I see what you are saying and there is validity to it.  Now I can flip that against say the B1G.  When you play 9 conference games, where is the measuring stick?  3 non-con opponents, but who are they?  For example I pulled up Ohio St.'s 2019 schedule...Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, and Miami(OH).  The point is what if the B1G sucks?  tOSU could go undefeated and make the CFP.  See where I am going?

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I see what you are saying and there is validity to it.  Now I can flip that against say the B1G.  When you play 9 conference games, where is the measuring stick?  3 non-con opponents, but who are they?  For example I pulled up Ohio St.'s 2019 schedule...Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, and Miami(OH).  The point is what if the B1G sucks?  tOSU could go undefeated and make the CFP.  See where I am going?

Under the current environment, there is no guarantee a conference champion gets in. If OSU is undefeated in the scenario you describe, what makes them any different than UCF?

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Under the current environment, there is no guarantee a conference champion gets in. If OSU is undefeated in the scenario you describe, what makes them any different than UCF?

Doesn't.  Other than tOSU plays in a power conference.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

ND is such trash man. Schedule is garbage, talent is average. 

UGA, OSU would have both whipped ND. 

Florida too. 

Notre Dame's schedule was not garbage. They may not have been one of the four best teams in the country, but their schedule most certainly was not garbage.

Mark Richt stepping down. Not a surprise. Has been floated since Friday. He wouldn't fire his son. Expect Mario Cristobal to be #1 target. Former player, won 2 titles at Miami, elite level recruiter and universally respected with all fans, alumni, and high school coaches in Florida.

Mike Gundy is my wildcard guess.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mark Richt stepping down. Not a surprise. Has been floated since Friday. He wouldn't fire his son. Expect Mario Cristobal to be #1 target. Former player, won 2 titles at Miami, elite level recruiter and universally respected with all fans, alumni, and high school coaches in Florida.

Mike Gundy is my wildcard guess.

Wow, didn't see that coming.  I dunno about Mario, be a great choice, but Herbert is returning for the Ducks.  Manny Diaz just left for the Temple job less than two weeks ago.

Lane Kiffin is my darkhorse.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Wow, didn't see that coming.  I dunno about Mario, be a great choice, but Herbert is returning for the Ducks.  Manny Diaz just left for the Temple job less than two weeks ago.

Lane Kiffin is my darkhorse.

Lane would be options 3 or 4. Lots of talk with Mike Leach. Might be perfect fit for Miami. Babers from Cuse is getting thrown around as well. 

18 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think Richt leaving Miami has to be something in the works for a while.  When his nephew picked LSU over UM that was the first sign.  

Nah, his nephew is also the son of Brad Johnson.  I got a feeling his Dad had a lot to do with it.  Just speculation.  

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Notre Dame getting benefit of the doubt EVERY time?  You probably are not referring to the old system of how national titles worked.  As 1988 and 1993 were so at odds with everything for ND. 

So much ND hate here.  I don't get it.

Archived