College Football (Not Big Ten)

21 hours ago, rico said:

Whoa.  Running aside, the Dawgs had one gift INT and one fabulous(lucky) INT.  The Dawgs also had one miraculous TD catch.  The Irish were with UGA until the clock expired on their field.

Sure both teams had some breaks but ND had one good scoring drive the whole game and that was against a Georgia defense that was just trying to make them use up as much clock as possible at the end. I thought ND defense played fabulous. But the offense couldn’t sustain drives or move the ball in the second half because they weren’t balanced. Georgia dominated the LOS and the second half looked the superior team. All in all it was a good game. I’m not sure either team is a playoff team. I think they both lose multiple games this year. At least it wasn’t a total beat down like in Miami a couple years ago. In the end there is no moral victories. ND isn’t suppose to just be competitive...they need to win their share of these games. I feel like ND has their own John Harbaugh...feast on lesser competition but ultimately fall short when it matters. 

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Drroogh said:

You are correct, I was reacting to  another post. My apologies! You have no idea what it is like to be a college football fan living in the obviously SEC land!!

I live in Kentucky now...yeah unsufferable. Worst are the Kentucky fans that root for UK basketball here and Alabama football. I mean a majority. I guess UKs recent football success might change that but it’s embarrassing. Anyways yes...I more or less root for anyone to beat Alabama because it’s so sickening. I would love to see an SEC team travel North in November or December and play a game. B1G plays at somewhat a disadvantage because they have to play that ball control offense etc to win the title but it doesn’t bode well come bowl season in perfect conditions. Oh well..life isn’t always fair.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I live in Kentucky now...yeah unsufferable. Worst are the Kentucky fans that root for UK basketball here and Alabama football. I mean a majority. I guess UKs recent football success might change that but it’s embarrassing. Anyways yes...I more or less root for anyone to beat Alabama because it’s so sickening. I would love to see an SEC team travel North in November or December and play a game. B1G plays at somewhat a disadvantage because they have to play that ball control offense etc to win the title but it doesn’t bode well come bowl season in perfect conditions. Oh well..life isn’t always fair.

I live in Birmingham; preach on!

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Are all the Alabama douches Alabama football fans and UK basketball fans?? It wouldn’t surprise me. Literally people around here I’ve seen wear Alabama hats with UK shirt. 

Most Alabama fans couldn't care less about basketball.  They talk spring football during March Madness. The real fouchey ones think football success translates to basketball.  I try to remain neutral and just enjoy the games, but they make it tough. 

Now, my wife is a UK grad, and her family has had season tickets for football for years. They are loyal. I've just observed SEC fans in general beat their chest for the success of any conference team.  You would think Miss St. had won multiple National titles in football with the way they strut around.

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Most Alabama fans couldn't care less about basketball.  They talk spring football during March Madness. The real fouchey ones think football success translates to basketball.  I try to remain neutral and just enjoy the games, but they make it tough. 

Now, my wife is a UK grad, and her family has had season tickets for football for years. They are loyal. I've just observed SEC fans in general beat their chest for the success of any conference team.  You would think Miss St. had won multiple National titles in football with the way they strut around.

So you are saying your wife runs around the house chanting SEC, SEC, SEC?

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

you are so right. would love to see bama, georgia or clemson come up and play a cold weather big ten game. they literally never have to play in the cold

On 9/21/2019 at 11:00 PM, Drroogh said:

You are the one trying to diminish me with the COAT comment, I tried to be an IU football fan. lee Corso ended it when on his after game show he stated Quinn should give up on basketball and focus on football?? 

and i thought i could hold a grudge for a long time

On 9/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, dgambill said:

I've never made a coat comment ever...I think you've mixed me up with someone else. Unless you are talking about the Georgia coat thing I just talked about. I could care less about Corso...he is about the most annoying personality ever...and I'm sure an even poorer coach. I root for all Indiana teams as long as they aren't playing IU. It's just ND is a tease and PU and IU have basically been irrelevant forever.

who doesn't like lee corso? wow

On 9/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, dgambill said:

I've never made a coat comment ever...I think you've mixed me up with someone else. Unless you are talking about the Georgia coat thing I just talked about. I could care less about Corso...he is about the most annoying personality ever...and I'm sure an even poorer coach. I root for all Indiana teams as long as they aren't playing IU. It's just ND is a tease and PU and IU have basically been irrelevant forever.

not that it makes any difference but why root for notre dame? think about that the next time a 4 star indiana player commits to nd over indiana, which is every year

I've told the story before, but my dad has always had the idea of a B1G/SEC challenge in football. Half of each conference plays at home, and vice versa.  He wrote in to the Birmingham News and received a nice response from the sports editor.

My dad then walked in to the SEC headquarters and asked for a meeting with the commissioner at time Mike Slive.  He had an opening,  so his assistant sent my dad right in. He sat and had coffee while explaining his plan.

The commissioner liked it,  but explained it would never happen because schools don't want to give up a home game every other year.  He also admitted the southern boys wouldn't want to ever play in the cold.  Only my dad could have pulled that off!

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I've told the story before, but my dad has always had the idea of a B1G/SEC challenge in football. Half of each conference plays at home, and vice versa.  He wrote in to the Birmingham News and received a nice response from the sports editor.

My dad then walked in to the SEC headquarters and asked for a meeting with the commissioner at time Mike Slive.  He had an opening,  so his assistant sent my dad right in. He sat and had coffee while explaining his plan.

The commissioner liked it,  but explained it would never happen because schools don't want to give up a home game every other year.  He also admitted the southern boys wouldn't want to ever play in the cold.  Only my dad could have pulled that off!

The cold?  Hell, the SEC schools just don't want to play a B1G school on the road period.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Agreed

The SEC schools have a hard enough time playing any team north of the "Mason-Dixon" line...let alone venturing into B1G country to play at their venues.  That is where I give Tennessee and UGA some credit...they have played in South Bend.  

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IIRC, we played LSU in a home and home, back in the day. During a period when we were decent and LSU was just decent. I think we won at least one of the games.

I do believe you are correct.  I am thinking about the same time we were playing Nebraska?  Maybe the late 70's when Corso was the HC.  I remember us playing them listening on the radio.

2 hours ago, coachv said:

not that it makes any difference but why root for notre dame? think about that the next time a 4 star indiana player commits to nd over indiana, which is every year

I root for Indiana first...but come bowl season I want to cheer for someone and that is usually Notre Dame and sometimes yes even Purdue. I think success of Indiana schools are good for everyone because hopefully it inspires young kids in the state to play and dream big and in the end if that kid goes to IU...even better. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

The SEC schools have a hard enough time playing any team north of the "Mason-Dixon" line...let alone venturing into B1G country to play at their venues.  That is where I give Tennessee and UGA some credit...they have played in South Bend.  

Spurrier rescheduled the UK game to early in the season because they didn’t want to play in Kentucky late in the year if that tells you anything. It’s definitely a thing.

26 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It is located in the great state of "INDIANA"!!!!! But you know that, right?

And yeah.... Go Irish

Couldn't care less what state they are in because I am an IU fan and I don't care if ND ever wins a game.  ND never acts like they are from Indiana and they seem to act like they are to good for this state.

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I root for Indiana first...but come bowl season I want to cheer for someone and that is usually Notre Dame and sometimes yes even Purdue. I think success of Indiana schools are good for everyone because hopefully it inspires young kids in the state to play and dream big and in the end if that kid goes to IU...even better. 

indiana being better than purdue and on equal footing with notre dame would help indiana in local recruiting, which in turn would result in more wins for the good guys. what is best for iu is poor play for any team they have to compete with for recruits and all of the big ten

Archived