College Football (Not Big Ten)

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Would think SE Indiana would be prime Indiana territory.  I lived in Rush county and it was mainly IU all the way.  We had many radio stations that carried IU football and basketball in that area.

8 hours ago, coachv said:

what's a radio station?

Idk most 5 year olds prefer to watch TV call me forward thinking. I just happened to miss  FDR and Fireside Chats they just weren't thing. I got hooked on the beautiful invention called the boob tube and just could not get my small minded thinking to just turn on a radio and look for a team I had never heard of. I was probably in the kindergarten class for the slower kids. Sorry to all you true IU fans that fell in love with IU football and never sinned against it by committing football adultry. I will ask for forgiveness. 

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Idk most 5 year olds prefer to watch TV call me forward thinking.

That's neutral thinking at best. The sobering reality: my 5 year old doesn't really know what a DVD player is. He'd pick watching something on a tablet/iPad 10 times out of 10, even if the same thing was available on broadcast TV.

17 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's neutral thinking at best. The sobering reality: my 5 year old doesn't really know what a DVD player is. He'd pick watching something on a tablet/iPad 10 times out of 10, even if the same thing was available on broadcast TV.

Exactly.  My point was when I was 5 and I could either turn on the TV and watch ND or I could find a radio station to listen to a team i did not know exist . Not hard to figure out why i was not an IU football growing up.  Call it neutral thinking or reverse thinking in 1978 it was correct in my household.  

The comment was a tongue in check reference to me watching TV instead of listening to the radio. I guess I need to learn how to use the coffee emoji now that would be forward thinking (insert said coffee emoji)😉

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly.  My point was when I was 5 and I could either turn on the TV and watch ND or I could find a radio station to listen to a team i did not know exist . Not hard to figure out why i was not an IU football growing up.  Call it neutral thinking or reverse thinking in 1978 it was correct in my household.  

The comment was a tongue in check reference to me watching TV instead of listening to the radio. I guess I need to learn how to use the coffee emoji now that would be forward thinking (insert said coffee emoji)😉

Actually, it was to further back your point up regarding media availability. Medium of choice turns over quickly between generations.

Where I grew up and continue to live, I was fortunate to pull in Fort Wayne and South Bend TV channels.  Every ND football and basketball game was on if not nationally then locally out of South Bend on channel 16.  Every IU and Purdue basketball game was shown out of Fort Wayne.  I can't recall ever seeing an IU regular season football game on TV until the mid to late 80s.  However I remember seeing them on TV playing BYU in the Holiday Bowl.  Now Purdue on the other hand was on quite a few national broadcasts as they were pretty good.  I think they won 9+ games for 3 or 4 years in a row and went to bowls.  All that being said I am an IU man first and foremost.  And yes I am a Notre Dame backer unless they are playing my Hoosiers.  And Purdue does not bother me at all.

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

mine too. precisely why they don't own one. they can have a smart phone when they can pay for it themselves

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

oops

On Tennessee from yahoo!sports

Throughout his career, Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer has earned the reputation as a relentless backstabber. That began when he took the Tennessee head coaching job from Johnny Majors in the early 1990s, angling while Majors was recovering from heart surgery.

Later, Fulmer consistently attempted to undercut a procession of Tennessee coaches — Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Butch Jones — and also played grand maestro in the coup to unseat athletic director John Currie last year. For decades, Phillip Fulmer’s reputation has revolved around consistently and persistently operating to maximize the full glory, attention and financial benefit of Phillip Fulmer.

Someone get embattled Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt a Kevlar vest and tell him to watch his back. It only makes sense that Fulmer is going to cover up his own administrative failings to pull off one final machete through the spine and take over an utter disaster of his own creation.

If history is any guide, expect Fulmer to begin lining up to take over as the head coach in Tennessee in the next few weeks. Pruitt’s Vols dropped to 1-3 after getting hammered by Florida on Saturday, 34-3, and are almost assured to start 1-6 and won’t be favored until, likely, Nov. 2 against UAB.

Tennessee has no identity, no clue and no cohesion under Pruitt, who has looked overmatched from his opening press conference. There’s little empirical evidence in year two that will change, as many fans have flipped to that bizarre vortex where they are rooting for losses to expedite Pruitt’s departure. Tennessee has had recruiting success, but all those star rankings don’t guarantee guys play hard. And Tennessee is a program with no oxygen, relevant only by its weekly self-created disasters and Pruitt’s unfortunate misuse of historical references.

Tennessee’s last coaching change ended with the ouster of Currie and administrative upheaval that made many veteran SEC athletic officials debate as to whether Tennessee had ousted Auburn as the league’s most dysfunctional program.

There are still divisive factions running amok at Tennessee. Booster Charlie Anderson badly wanted Pruitt as the coach and didn’t think that Dan Mullen had won enough for the job, as the records dump of Tennessee’s athletic department from that time reads like a diary of dysfunction. Booster John “Thunder” Thornton wanted Fulmer back desperately as athletic director, as he like many at Tennessee are so wed to the past that it’s ruining the athletic department’s future.

New Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt, right, receives a personalized jersey from athletic director Phillip Fulmer during his introductory news conference Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, in Knoxville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Steve Megargee)

New Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt, right, receives a personalized jersey from athletic director Phillip Fulmer during his introductory news conference Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017, in Knoxville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Steve Megargee)
More

When big-money boosters are puppeteering athletic departments, it usually ends up working out much like, well, the Haslam family running an NFL team.

Tennessee’s last coaching change may appear seamless compared to what the university faces in the wake of Fulmer hiring Pruitt. Mind you, Currie had gone out and courted Mike Leach, who was likely to leave Washington State for the job. (This was after a public coup essentially ended Greg Schiano’s candidacy.) Fulmer also interviewed Mel Tucker, who is off to a strong start at Colorado.

Instead, they hired a coach that Mississippi State passed on, much because Fulmer’s world view remains trapped in 1990s football. Pruitt’s hire is an attempt to jam a VHS of his own glory days back on the school.

This current overmatched Tennessee staff is a curdling cesspool of Fulmer’s own creation. The final salvo of administrative malfeasance was letting Pruitt hire Jim Chaney from Georgia as offensive coordinator. Tennessee is years behind catching up to rivals like Georgia and Alabama, and attempting to play the same style on offense and eventually surpassing them is about as savvy a strategy as hiring Antonio Brown’s life coach. Pruitt made the classic mistake of so many Saban disciples, attempting to copy and paste The Process and expecting similar results.

That is quite a read Rico. I found it interesting because Tennessee is my second favorite team if you want to call them that.  My wife is an LSU alum so “officially “ they are my second favorite, but you know....

When I was a kid there was an independent television station in Louisville that for some reason showed Tennessee games several Saturdays a season for a couple of years.  IU just wasn’t on. I spent a number of Saturday’s watching Tennessee with the volume turned down and listening the IU game on the radio when the weather wasn’t nice enough to be outside listening to the IU game.  I’m not sure where that puts me on the continuum.  

9 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That is quite a read Rico. I found it interesting because Tennessee is my second favorite team if you want to call them that.  My wife is an LSU alum so “officially “ they are my second favorite, but you know....

When I was a kid there was an independent television station in Louisville that for some reason showed Tennessee games several Saturdays a season for a couple of years.  IU just wasn’t on. I spent a number of Saturday’s watching Tennessee with the volume turned down and listening the IU game on the radio when the weather wasn’t nice enough to be outside listening to the IU game.  I’m not sure where that puts me on the continuum.  

As I have stated several times my Mom is a Tennessee native.  Grew up just north of Knoxville.  So the Vols hold a special place in my heart.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Careful. I just said how overrated ND has been over the past several years and I got chewed out for like 2 pages....and I’m a ND fan since they never play IU.

I've hated ND my entire life. Tag me in the next conversation. One of the most overrated institutions of all time. 1 BS title in 88 when the refs stole the game vs my Canes at the goal line. I'll gladly chime in on the anti ND stuff.

Archived