College Football (Not Big Ten)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rico said:

Yep, I bet the Bearcat fans are a little nervous right now.

Same cycle over there it seems like. Once UC coach leaves they go get the youngest/best assistant at Ohio St hire him and do his things for a few years until he leaves. Kind of like Butler basketball was there for awhile. 

17 hours ago, rico said:

Yep, I bet the Bearcat fans are a little nervous right now.

Headline in today's Cincy Enquirer sports page reads....NOT AGAIN.

But the article under it talks about Fickell's close relationship with Dantonio.  Coaching together at OSU.  Quotes him as having said he wouldn't want to go to MSU if Dantonio was being forced out...only if he was leaving on his own terms.  Article speaks of how much he and his family (6 kids) like Cincinnati.  The new UC AD has his work cut out for him, just the same.

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Headline in today's Cincy Enquirer sports page reads....NOT AGAIN.

But the article under it talks about Fickell's close relationship with Dantonio.  Coaching together at OSU.  Quotes him as having said he wouldn't want to go to MSU if Dantonio was being forced out...only if he was leaving on his own terms.  Article speaks of how much he and his family (6 kids) like Cincinnati.  The new UC AD has his work cut out for him, just the same.

Thank you for those tidbits.

Luke has a pretty good team returning.  Not that I am a UC fan but it is a good job.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Thank you for those tidbits.

Luke has a pretty good team returning.  Not that I am a UC fan but it is a good job.  

He's got a good class coming in as well.  Just picked up a commit from a 4star WR previously committed to Illinois....Jadon Thompson.  I believe IU had offered him too.  All this info regarding Fickell aside, I still think there's a good chance he jumps at an offer from East Lansing.

It will be a tough decision for Fickell.  UC will do whatever they can from a money standpoint.  Fickell has two big time local commits in Evan Prater and Jaheim Thomas.  Prater is a 4star QB, Mr. Football for Ohio and Thomas is a 4star linebacker who had offers from around the country,  MSU, LSU, possibly OSU (not sure).  This class ranks as one of, if not the best in UC football history.  So, that will factor in as well.  But we all know how the coaching world/wheel can work.  Especially when a Power 5 opportunity comes along.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, Seeking6 said:

Less than ideal timing. Either a former coach like Bielema (Big 10 guy) who is hiding in the NFL....or maybe a clean guy like Al Golden who is doing the same?? College staffs are pretty much filled. 

Only took 6 days for Bielema to do his back channels for Sparty gig. Figured his name would show up after Fickell withdrew.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Arizona President came out and said he just doesn't see college football happening in the fall. The irony though is he does see in person classes for students. haha

Haha.  That doesn't make any sense to have in person classes but no football.

Colleges will probably be the last thing to return to normal.  Let's take 40,000 people from all over the world and put them together in a big group every day.

That's my biggest worry for football this fall.  I don't know if colleges will even be back by this fall.  If they aren't, I don't see football happening.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Texas Tech and Texas A&M just came out and said they intend on openings campuses this fall. So far it seems like Big 12 and SEC are full go in at least announcing business as usual for the fall. 

I would imagine if the people in the SEC don't get their college football they would secede from the Union.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I would imagine if the people in the SEC don't get their college football they would secede from the Union.

And the billions the conference would lose wouldn't be able to help sustain all those free scholarships they hand out to Northern kids.

• 2 weeks later...

First domino just fell. Cal State universities just came out and said no fall classes which means no fall sports. If I was a UCLA, USC, Stanford.....or perhaps a Fresno St coach I'd be a tad nervous about what's going to happen. Everyone could say no big deal.....or you might see mass departures of recruits who want to go to a state where football will happen.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

First domino just fell. Cal State universities just came out and said no fall classes which means no fall sports. If I was a UCLA, USC, Stanford.....or perhaps a Fresno St coach I'd be a tad nervous about what's going to happen. Everyone could say no big deal.....or you might see mass departures of recruits who want to go to a state where football will happen.

I wonder if they would consider moving football to the spring.  Obviously a ton of logistics that would have to go into that, but football money is how athletic departments survive.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I wonder if they would consider moving football to the spring.  Obviously a ton of logistics that would have to go into that, but football money is how athletic departments survive.

No chance. There are certain states that want to act a certain way....which they certainly have a right to do. Football will happen this fall both in college and NFL in most states. My concern is how will bowl eligibility be impacted if let's say we have 3-4 opponents on our schedule this fall who reside in states that interpret data a certain way. We have games vs UConn, Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois. As it stands today and today only. No clue what will happen. I'm sure IU has contingencies being discussed to get other opponents just in case. At least I would. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No chance. There are certain states that want to act a certain way....which they certainly have a right to do. Football will happen this fall both in college and NFL in most states. My concern is how will bowl eligibility be impacted if let's say we have 3-4 opponents on our schedule this fall who reside in states that interpret data a certain way. We have games vs UConn, Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois. As it stands today and today only. No clue what will happen. I'm sure IU has contingencies being discussed to get other opponents just in case. At least I would. 

I think if there are many states that are not ready for football, it will be an NCAA choice to not have football.  I don't think individual states will have much say in it.  I would guess it will mostly be all or nothing.  Just my guess.

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I think if there are many states that are not ready for football, it will be an NCAA choice to not have football.  I don't think individual states will have much say in it.  I would guess it will mostly be all or nothing.  Just my guess.

Honestly, I see it the other way.  The states will have the say.  

Archived