College Football (Not Big Ten)

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Emmert came out yesterday and basically echoed your thoughts. Leaving it up to states and universities to decide when. 

According to how they have acted/governed in the past/present, the NCAA has been in quarantine well before this virus.  

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

According to how they have acted/governed in the past/present, the NCAA has been in quarantine well before this virus.  

Yep. One side of me thought this was a real chance for Emmert to show some leadership and was disappointed to hear him say he'll let others decide. On the other hand though....so many moving parts on this thing I guess allowing local decisions to be made is best way to go. Was reading last night that Bama is already looking for a replacement team for their opener with USC.

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. One side of me thought this was a real chance for Emmert to show some leadership and was disappointed to hear him say he'll let others decide. On the other hand though....so many moving parts on this thing I guess allowing local decisions to be made is best way to go. Was reading last night that Bama is already looking for a replacement team for their opener with USC.

I just read an article about his comments yesterday that you referenced. I think he's afraid to take any responsibility, so he left it up to the states. Then if people get sick from going to games (fans or players), he can say it wasn't his decision, so it isn't his fault. I don't think he wanted to be the one responsible for shutting down football either. You don't mess with football money.

It also seems like a complete nightmare for scheduling, conference championships, bowls and a lot more. 

For states that don't play, do the players get an extra year of eligibility? Wouldn't be fair to count it as a year of playing when they aren't even allowed to play. Then what happens to the amount of scholarships for those teams next year? What if someone from a state not playing wants to transfer to a state that is? Seems like letting states decide will cause a ton of issues if that is what happens.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I just read an article about his comments yesterday that you referenced. I think he's afraid to take any responsibility, so he left it up to the states. Then if people get sick from going to games (fans or players), he can say it wasn't his decision, so it isn't his fault. I don't think he wanted to be the one responsible for shutting down football either. You don't mess with football money.

It also seems like a complete nightmare for scheduling, conference championships, bowls and a lot more. 

For states that don't play, do the players get an extra year of eligibility? Wouldn't be fair to count it as a year of playing when they aren't even allowed to play. Then what happens to the amount of scholarships for those teams next year? What if someone from a state not playing wants to transfer to a state that is? Seems like letting states decide will cause a ton of issues if that is what happens.

So you are saying that in your opinion that the NCAA should take priority over what local,state, and the federal government says?

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Regarding last paragraph. That's the biggest question. All the questions you ask are being asked by thousands daily. When situations get extremely challenging I try to go occams razor.

If you go to school for a university that is in a state taking more precautionary measures be prepared for all of the unknown and unknown downside...including losing a year of eligibility, financial ramifications,etc.....because without clear direction from NCAA (1 year of extra eligibility if no sports for example) you run the risk of incurring the downside.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

So you are saying that in your opinion that the NCAA should take priority over what local,state, and the federal government says?

If a state says they won't play, the NCAA obviously shouldn't tell them they have to, but I didn't expect them to be so hands off.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

If a state says they won't play, the NCAA obviously shouldn't tell them they have to, but I didn't expect them to be so hands off.

Probably the best decision with least downside to NCAA. Shift responsibility to the universities and states. If states want to cancel events or sports out of precaution...they should factor in today what it will cost to honor the scholarships of athletes who will undoubtedly sue to get their eligibility....or grant a one time transfer waiver this summer for all athletes to choose a school where they think they will have sports. If they don't transfer....let the chips fall where they may and anything bad that comes out of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived