College Football (Not Big Ten)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please explain to me why SEC schools shouldn't be penalized for playing cupcakes in November instead of an extra conference game. It's essentially an extra bye week, instead of risking an upset the week before a rivalry game. Even Alabama fans are sick of their cupcake schedule. People I know couldn't give their tickets away today.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Please explain to me why SEC schools shouldn't be penalized for playing cupcakes in November instead of an extra conference game. It's essentially an extra bye week, instead of risking an upset the week before a rivalry game. Even Alabama fans are sick of their cupcake schedule. People I know couldn't give their tickets away today.

Historically, this what SEC schools do.  Although there are some that have rivalry games ooc.  Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, and UGA.  Bama plays the schedule well.  To mean that they set themselves just fine.  And it makes me sick.

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

It's smart scheduling on their part. Notice how OSU and Michigan never have tough games before they face each other?

Alabama fans are probably just bored with the regular season anymore.

Agreed it's smart based on ESPN artificially inflating SEC team ratings to protect their business.  No need to schedule hard. But no way Citadel or Wofford have the same chance at an upset as a conference foe. Ask Michigan or Ohio State if they would've preferred a total cakewalk today. Of course they would. But they would be destroyed on ESPN for scheduling a game like that. Their rankings would drop, and they would be out of the playoff picture.  (All this SEC hate aside, Saban takes care of business when gifted the opportunity.  Can't even argue that.)

10 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I actually think it's smart and shows total control of your schedule/program. Gives the backups a good chance to play tons of minutes towards the end of a season and rest starters before a rivalry game.

Well....  The Irish did their part and beat a scrappy USC team 24-17 to go 12 and 0. It wasn't pretty, but gritty. I couldn't stand to listen to the 2 bozos doing the game as they were breathless as USC was keeping the game close, especially Ohio State apologist, Kirk Herbstreit.

Playing the Trojans on their home field has always been a struggle for the Irish. Now on to see who their playoff opponent will be...

At least the state of Indiana will be represented at a high profile game

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well....  The Irish did their part and beat a scrappy USC team 24-17 to go 12 and 0. It wasn't pretty, but gritty. I couldn't stand to listen to the 2 bozos doing the game as they were breathless as USC was keeping the game close, especially Ohio State apologist, Kirk Herbstreit.

Playing the Trojans on their home field has always been a struggle for the Irish. Now on to see who their playoff opponent will be...

At least the state of Indiana will be represented at a high profile game

It surfaced recently that Helton is on the hot seat.  My guess is the players are aware of this and played the game to save their coaches job.

Go Irish!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's official. Mack Brown hired by Carolina. Maybe it will work but if I'm a Carolina fan I ask this. If he couldn't make it work at Texas....how in the world is he going to recruit in the Southeast with the obscene regional competition he'll face.

He did make it work at Texas.  And he made it work before at UNC.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

He did make it work at Texas.  And he made it work before at UNC.

Guess we have different definitions of making it work. I think he achieved far more at Carolina (making bowl games) compared to 1 title in 16 years at Texas with unlimited resources. Time will tell. I don't think it's a good move. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess we have different definitions of making it work. I think he achieved far more at Carolina (making bowl games) compared to 1 title in 16 years at Texas with unlimited resources. Time will tell. I don't think it's a good move. 

Texas Longhorns (Big 12 Conference) (1998–2013)
1998 Texas 9–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Cotton 16 15
1999 Texas 9–5 6–2 1st (South) L Cotton 23 21
2000 Texas 9–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 12 12
2001 Texas 11–2 7–1 1st (South) W Holiday 5 5
2002 Texas 11–2 6–2 T–1st (South)^ W Cotton 7 6
2003 Texas 10–3 7–1 2nd (South) L Holiday 11 12
2004 Texas 11–1 7–1 2nd (South) W Rose 4 5
2005 Texas 13–0 8–0 1st (South) W Rose 1 1
2006 Texas 10–3 6–2 2nd (South) W Alamo 13 13
2007 Texas 10–3 5–3 2nd (South) W Holiday 10 10
2008 Texas 12–1 7–1 T–1st (South)^ W Fiesta 3 4
2009 Texas 13–1 8–0 1st (South) L BCS NCG 2 2