DeRon Davis update

Indykev

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I just don’t think his offensive abilities will ever make up for his defensive liabilities, especially with this injury.  And he really just doesn’t fit well with Juwan, who needs room to operate in the paint.

Yeah, we’ll have to see how he recovers first. But with that aside, part of my point is that his defensive liabilities aren’t that drastic. I’ll admit I can’t remember a lot of his defensive play from last year, though.

I agree that Morgan is more than capable of operating in the paint. That’s where I selfishly want to see him. But I think we’ll be seeing him playing a style that’s more transferable to the NBA game, which is much more perimeter oriented. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I just don’t think his offensive abilities will ever make up for his defensive liabilities, especially with this injury.  And he really just doesn’t fit well with Juwan, who needs room to operate in the paint.

All I know is what I know. De'Ron is the leading shot blocker in Colorado High School history.  And it isn't even close.

2 hours ago, BENDOVER said:

Yeah, we’ll have to see how he recovers first. But with that aside, part of my point is that his defensive liabilities aren’t that drastic. I’ll admit I can’t remember a lot of his defensive play from last year, though.

I agree that Morgan is more than capable of operating in the paint. That’s where I selfishly want to see him. But I think we’ll be seeing him playing a style that’s more transferable to the NBA game, which is much more perimeter oriented. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

All I know is what I know. De'Ron is the leading shot blocker in Colorado High School history.  And it isn't even close.

I’m no basketball expert, but from what I saw, De’Ron got abused on defense last year.  He just doesn’t seem to me to be a good fit in the pack line defense, which I think requires a mobile big man with lateral quickness that can hedge and recover.  DeRon does not and will not ever have that ability, and I don’t think it was a coincidence that our defense got much better after he went down last year (although I’m sure the rest of the players getting more comfortable in the system also contributed to that).  

The high school blocks don’t mean much to me.  DeRon was a man among boys in high school — almost two years older than every kid he was playing against.  He doesn’t have that advantage in the college game, and he hasn’t shown to be a prolific shot blocker up to this point.

Maybe not the elite shot blocker he was in high school, I will grant you that.  However, before going down last season, Ken Pom had De'Ron blocking 8.9% of the opponents two point shots. So against a lesser advantage, he was still able to block shots.  So much so that was one of the things Alex Bozich said will be missed when De'Ron went down last season.

Indiana Can Win Without De'Ron Davis 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Maybe not the elite shot blocker he was in high school, I will grant you that.  However, before going down last season, Ken Pom had De'Ron blocking 8.9% of the opponents two point shots. So against a lesser advantage, he was still able to block shots.  So much so that was one of the things Alex Bozich said will be missed when De'Ron went down last season.

Indiana Can Win Without De'Ron Davis 

Nice stat!  I initially thought that those blocks may have come against mostly lower-level non-conference competition, but DeRon had himself a little block party last December against some decent teams (4 against Iowa, 3 against Louisville, 2 against ND).  Let’s hope he can bring that to the team this year.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Nice stat!  I initially thought that those blocks may have come against mostly lower-level non-conference competition, but DeRon had himself a little block party last December against some decent teams (4 against Iowa, 3 against Louisville, 2 against ND).  Let’s hope he can bring that to the team this year.

That is my hope as well.

Overall, De'Ron blocked 22 shots last season in 282 minutes.  Second on the team only to Juwan who had 44 blocked shots in 912 minutes. 

• 7 months later...

I saw DeRon walking yesterday ( counldnt get photo ). Appears to have lost a lot of weight, including his Kilroy Sports gut he was carrying around. He looked really good. We need a big season from him. I hope we finally get one in his last.

35 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I saw DeRon walking yesterday ( counldnt get photo ). Appears to have lost a lot of weight, including his Kilroy Sports gut he was carrying around. He looked really good. We need a big season from him. I hope we finally get one in his last.

The fact that you didn’t use the term “walking boot” is the best part of this update. 

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Good for him. 14 years later, I still have some of my Kilroy's gut.

Even if he can just gain a slight improvement to his mobility and his jumping he can see a big improvement this year. He could barely clear a text book with his leaping last year..he had to finish a lot of difficult shots last year due to his lack of mobility...happy to hear this.

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Great to hear! Davis is so good but it seems like he's had one thing or another holding him back since missing his first summer before his freshman season. He can be so valuable to us as evident when he went head to head vs Bagley, Carter vs Duke in 2017 and had one of his best games. I think foul trouble took him out of that one early. 

Thanks for update!

Update. I just talked with DeRon. Down 20 pounds. Dude looks skinny to last year DeRon. He said he is working hard to get it off and wants his last year to be a great one. 

The kid looked impressive. Best body I've seen him have here, in any year.

Just now, Indykev said:

Update. I just talked with DeRon. Down 20 pounds. Dude looks skinny to last year DeRon. He said he is working hard to get it off and wants his last year to be a great one. 

Hope and pray for him to have a healthy and productive season for his sake.  He has went through a lot in his 3 years here at IU and has worked hard to get back so I hope he can have one great season.

40 minutes ago, Indykev said:

'Talked' or 'Stalked'  :coffee:

52 minutes ago, Indykev said:

That's exciting to hear...thanks for the update!

Archived