DeRon Davis update

Indykev

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I expect DeRon to be brought along very slowly. during the non-conference, working his way up to 15-18 minutes a game by the start of the January conference slate.  His minutes after that will be determined with his performance up until that time.

True.  His minutes will be limited. If not for the pre-season, but perhaps for most of the season.

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I expect DeRon to be brought along very slowly. during the non-conference, working his way up to 15-18 minutes a game by the start of the January conference slate.  His minutes after that will be determined with his performance up until that time.

Basically this is what DeRon told me.

• 1 month later...

Per Coach Miller.  All restrictions have been lifted for De'Ron.  Now, according to coach, it is a matter of working on De'Ron's conditioning.  Where have I heard that before ? LOL

I must admit, I am surprised.  As at one time, I did not expect De'Ron to be able to return until late this year, or early next.

However. Fast forward to 1:09 of this practice video, and see if you agree with me, that De'Ron is fully recovered from his injury.

(14) IUBB -  Practice 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Per Coach Miller.  All restrictions have been lifted for De'Ron.  Now, according to coach, it is a matter of working on De'Ron's conditioning.  Where have I heard that before ? LOL

I must admit, I am surprised.  As at one time, I did not expect De'Ron to be able to return until late this year, or early next.

However. Fast forward to 1:09 of this practice video, and see if you agree with me, that De'Ron is fully recovered from his injury.

(14) IUBB -  Practice 

Great to hear. He was our most efficient scorer last year and I still think a lot of his defensive lapses were issues with our guards not pressuring the ball handler

7 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

IMO a good De'Ron is what could separate us from a real good season to a special season.

And for IU fans, don't get swayed by last year's free throwing deficiencies.  I have been following De'Ron since 8th grade.  And except for last year, he has always been a good free throw shooter. 

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I agree. De'Ron has a role on this team and when he get on the floor I hope he is getting touches down low.

Definitely...he also will be a big influence guarding guys like Harms and Ward and the other bigs in the conference. Does not hurt one bit to have a low post presence that can get the opposition in foul trouble. Then when guys like Romeo and Juwan are taking it to the hoop guys will might already have some foul trouble to contend with when thinking about contesting shots.

53 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

IMO a good De'Ron is what could separate us from a real good season to a special season.

I think the biggest separator for us this year will be productivity at the PG spot. However, if Deron is able to be an asset/differentiator down low this could be the second biggest lift imo for "special season" success

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Definitely...he also will be a big influence guarding guys like Harms and Ward and the other bigs in the conference. Does not hurt one bit to have a low post presence that can get the opposition in foul trouble. Then when guys like Romeo and Juwan are taking it to the hoop guys will might already have some foul trouble to contend with when thinking about contesting shots.

I didn't think it through as far as you did in helping out Romeo and Juwan but you are right. I think he would be great to bring off the bench. Let a tired first stringer or younger second stringer have to guard him. Have Rob P out there to get him the ball. I see lots of open 3s and trips to the line for Davis.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I didn't think it through as far as you did in helping out Romeo and Juwan but you are right. I think he would be great to bring off the bench. Let a tired first stringer or younger second stringer have to guard him. Have Rob P out there to get him the ball. I see lots of open 3s and trips to the line for Davis.

We just don't have another physical specimen like him on the team....one that can wear down and draw fouls against an opposing starting front line and get into their bench where others can take advantage. Fitz seems more perimeter orientated and Juwan is great off the dribble but not necessarily going to post guys up on the block. Smith the same. Davis is a guy you can dump the ball into the paint with and he can wreck a defense down there with his strength and post play. Either drawing fouls or setting up others like you said with an inside out game. I expect Trayce to fill that void in the coming couple years but for now Davis is our only guy like that and its important. Also guys don't want to leave him to help on guys driving like Romeo and Juwan because he finishes so well around the rim. He is one of a kind.....now he has a long way to go health wise and endurance wise but he will be important. He might be a dinosaur in todays modern game of 5 out pick and roll one on one 3pt shooting offense but he isn't just a useless leaf eater...this guy has teeth too...and he can tear into a defense and cause problems in his own right. He may not be a velociraptor but he can be our T-Rex lol....ok done with the dinosaur analogies lol.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, dgambill said:

We just don't have another physical specimen like him on the team....one that can wear down and draw fouls against an opposing starting front line and get into their bench where others can take advantage. Fitz seems more perimeter orientated and Juwan is great off the dribble but not necessarily going to post guys up on the block. Smith the same. Davis is a guy you can dump the ball into the paint with and he can wreck a defense down there with his strength and post play. Either drawing fouls or setting up others like you said with an inside out game. I expect Trayce to fill that void in the coming couple years but for now Davis is our only guy like that and its important. Also guys don't want to leave him to help on guys driving like Romeo and Juwan because he finishes so well around the rim. He is one of a kind.....now he has a long way to go health wise and endurance wise but he will be important. He might be a dinosaur in todays modern game of 5 out pick and roll one on one 3pt shooting offense but he isn't just a useless leaf eater...this guy has teeth too...and he can tear into a defense and cause problems in his own right. He may not be a velociraptor but he can be our T-Rex lol....ok done with the dinosaur analogies lol.

Exactly this. I don’t agree with a lot of the criticism he receives on this site. I know he’s not the best option for every single in-game situation, but he’s a massive asset in many situations, as you said. He can play a similar role to Hass, and as many posters here have pointed out, Hass was a big factor in his teammates’ success. 

If you look at our team’s advanced stats, De’ron and Juwan were head and shoulders above the rest of the team last year in that category. I’m not huge on statistics. They don’t tell you everything, but they do tell you some things.

As I recall, he wasn't far off from being a McDonald's All-American.  A lot of us seem to get down on players and give up on them too quick, but I've never felt like he couldn't be a contributor.  The fun part of putting this jigsaw together is trying to determine how to allocate minutes to 14 talented kids.

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As I recall, he wasn't far off from being a McDonald's All-American.  A lot of us seem to get down on players and give up on them too quick, but I've never felt like he couldn't be a contributor.  The fun part of putting this jigsaw together is trying to determine how to allocate minutes to 14 talented kids.

Good memory !  Just after being named Mr. Basketball in Colorado for 2016, De'Ron was nominated for McDonald's. 

To your point about giving up on players too quickly.... especially big men.  I recall times when big men were not expected to come into their own until their Junior season, and really did not dominate till they became Seniors. 

3 hours ago, BENDOVER said:

Exactly this. I don’t agree with a lot of the criticism he receives on this site. I know he’s not the best option for every single in-game situation, but he’s a massive asset in many situations, as you said. He can play a similar role to Hass, and as many posters here have pointed out, Hass was a big factor in his teammates success. 

If you look at our team’s advanced stats, De’ron and Juwan were head and shoulders above the rest of the team last year in that category. I’m not huge on statistics. They don’t tell you everything, but they do tell you some things.

From the late Al McGuire..."he's an aircraft carrier, a space eater".

5 hours ago, BENDOVER said:

Exactly this. I don’t agree with a lot of the criticism he receives on this site. I know he’s not the best option for every single in-game situation, but he’s a massive asset in many situations, as you said. He can play a similar role to Hass, and as many posters here have pointed out, Hass was a big factor in his teammates success. 

We dont have the same team as Purdue. We play a different offensive scheme and Juwan is not nearly as perimeter oriented as Edwards was. 

The criticism for Davis is as much about fit for our scheme as anything. 

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

Juwan is pretty darned good posting guys up. You’ve been following his game live and on television, no? 

Matter of fact, he’s as good with his back to the basket as not.

8 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Juwan is pretty darned good posting guys up. You’ve been following his game live and on television, no? 

Matter of fact, he’s as good with his back to the basket as not.

He does have some really nice old school post moves...saw a lot of that last year and often against taller guys.

17 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We dont have the same team as Purdue. We play a different offensive scheme and Juwan is not nearly as perimeter oriented as Edwards was. 

The criticism for Davis is as much about fit for our scheme as anything. 

I agree with this though would qualify it with the point that it's often not even criticism, it's that we're talking fit.

DeRon when healthy is a very, very good player. I was thrilled when he committed. He is not an up and down the court player but he can really carve out space and if he's hitting a 12 footer to go with getting inside he'd be really hard to stop. The Duke game in my book was not really an anomaly so much as it was a game in which he was healthy and we played to that style. Question's going to be how he fits into CAM's scheme and how often it works.

I do think he can contribute on a really high level and make us a better all around team, but it requires molding our scheme to fit his game -- you can draw up lineups where he will work really well. If he's healthy, and working hard in practice, I tend to think we'll see that.

Archived