MSU Kick Time Announced

On 9/10/2018 at 5:02 PM, btownqb said:

So awesome

It's funny. My first reaction was this as well about start time. Afternoon tailgate, warmer temps, sunset on the stadium.....and I pull up facebook to share and noticed a few other Hoosier fans already discussing. Some couple was complaining about start time because it interferes with kids sleep schedule. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's funny. My first reaction was this as well about start time. Afternoon tailgate, warmer temps, sunset on the stadium.....and I pull up facebook to share and noticed a few other Hoosier fans already discussing. Some couple was complaining about start time because it interferes with kids sleep schedule. 

Hahahahaha like our team? Or their own kids?

And this is just me. If I had my way the Big Ten would do away with all Noon kickoffs. Between ABC, ESPN networks....now FS1 coming and of course BTN. I would think we could have all of our games scattered between 3:30 and 7:30 starts and the marquis matchup or matchups each week on ABC or ESPN at night. Of course my reasons have more to do with proper tailgating time (at least 3 hours).

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

And this is just me. If I had my way the Big Ten would do away with all Noon kickoffs. Between ABC, ESPN networks....now FS1 coming and of course BTN. I would think we could have all of our games scattered between 3:30 and 7:30 starts and the marquis matchup or matchups each week on ABC or ESPN at night. Of course my reasons have more to do with proper tailgating time (at least 3 hours).

You and I are on the same page. Although.. since its Thanksgiving weekend, I kind of like that Purdue is at noon. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Good point. Their own. In this world everyone usually just thinks about how things impact them. haha...

In this world, some college football games can take up to 4 hours to finish. I thought her complaint was a bit silly at first, but depending on where they're driving from, it could be after midnight before they get home. That makes taking kids to the game extremely difficult, if not impossible. Noon kickoffs are more family friendly, but then you have the heavy drinkers whining about not enough tailgate time. Can't please everyone I guess.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

In this world, some college football games can take up to 4 hours to finish. I thought her complaint was a bit silly at first, but depending on where they're driving from, it could be after midnight before they get home. That makes taking kids to the game extremely difficult, if not impossible. Noon kickoffs are more family friendly, but then you have the heavy drinkers whining about not enough tailgate time. Can't please everyone I guess.

You make a good point about family drive times.  Some people like to make it back home for Sunday church, too. Late games make it tough on families. Depending on the drive, even noon starts can be tough.  Went to a Wyoming game last year, that started at noon, and did not get back to Denver till midnight. 

Also, one more thing.  When I was a student, all games were day games.  That was before Memorial had lights.   I know. I know.  Before most of you were born. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

We had season tickets from the age I was 4 until now... my parents did not complain once. 

You know, before I had kids, I probably would have been saying the same things, but now that I have two kids younger than 4.... yeah, not so much. 

Having young kids can be extremely isolating.  I haven't seen the complaint you guys were talking about, but maybe this was one of their only chances to get together with friends they haven't seen in a while, or they had plans to meet their friends at the tailgate before the game, and the start time totally killed that.  Or maybe not, but I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt knowing what it's like to try to do ANYTHING with young children.  No harm in letting someone vent.  At worst, they just make themselves look bad anyway.

And to be frank, a noon start feels like a 3:30 start to me these days.  Honestly, I feel like I'm waiting hours just for College Gameday to come on.  I'm sure as my kids get older these things will change, but just trying to offer a different perspective on things.

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It takes me 4 hours-one way to get there.  So 8 hours on the road and 4 hours of game time.  But that was when my kids were young.  Now I go down and make a week-end of it when I can.  Me and the little lady have a blast when we are there.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

You and I are on the same page. Although.. since its Thanksgiving weekend, I kind of like that Purdue is at noon. 

My only issue with that is students are gone. Campus is dead....and our showcase rivalry game will be on Noon on Thanksgiving weekend with a crowd of about what 30k? Perception (while not always real) does hold weight...and a half empty stadium on national tv doesn't help. Shoot I'd rather find a way to see if we can get the Big 10 to move this game up a week....the heck with rivalry week.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My only issue with that is students are gone. Campus is dead....and our showcase rivalry game will be on Noon on Thanksgiving weekend with a crowd of about what 30k? Perception (while not always real) does hold weight...and a half empty stadium on national tv doesn't help. Shoot I'd rather find a way to see if we can get the Big 10 to move this game up a week....the heck with rivalry week.

Somehow this completely got past me. When did they make this scheduling change and why? I was a student at the Austin Starr game, and the place was a madhouse. 

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Somehow this completely got past me. When did they make this scheduling change and why? I was a student at the Austin Starr game, and the place was a madhouse. 

I remember the OT win at Purdue a few years later and that was before Thanksgiving as well. It might have been around the time Nebraska joined the league and a Big Ten championship game was added. I think the Big Ten wanted its best teams playing in December to try and reduce the down-time before the winner's bowl/playoff/national title game because after Ohio State got embarrassed in back to back championship games they griped about how playing their last game before Thanksgiving meant they had too much time off.

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Schedule has bounced around a bit but for the most part it's been after Turkey Day which to me has been bad. Our game isn't Ohio St/Michigan. Our program needs all the help it can get. 

I fully believe they (meaning any University or anyone setting the schedules for any sporting event) should require a posted start time (baring unforeseen circumstances) before tickets can legally be sold to the public so people can decide if the games will work with their schedule prior to purchasing tickets.  I have season tickets to IU football and had been waiting in limbo for the MSU start time until they announced it because I have other commitments that day as well.  From that perspective, I can see people griping about a start time if they got the tickets based on the date and then once the time was announced it ruined the plans.  Start times should never be announced just 2 weeks prior to the game in my opinion.  I understand the TV side of it, but I don't agree with that rule of thinking and hate that.  Anyways, my rant over.  Big game, I'll be there rooting like hell for IU to pull this out!

4 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

I fully believe they (meaning any University or anyone setting the schedules for any sporting event) should require a posted start time (baring unforeseen circumstances) before tickets can legally be sold to the public so people can decide if the games will work with their schedule prior to purchasing tickets.  I have season tickets to IU football and had been waiting in limbo for the MSU start time until they announced it because I have other commitments that day as well.  From that perspective, I can see people griping about a start time if they got the tickets based on the date and then once the time was announced it ruined the plans.  Start times should never be announced just 2 weeks prior to the game in my opinion.  I understand the TV side of it, but I don't agree with that rule of thinking and hate that.  Anyways, my rant over.  Big game, I'll be there rooting like hell for IU to pull this out!

Totally justified thinking. As you said, TV rules all. Somehow the NFL manages to release their schedule in advance, though. I guess it's harder for college to figure out what the top games will be each year.

Archived