Jump to content

Podcast with Coach Miller


Recommended Posts

This just dropped.  I haven’t had a chance to listen but it looks enlightening.  You can find it on iTunes at college hoops with Jon Rothstein.

Indiana's Archie Miller knows the key to success this year will be team chemistry. What can he expect from top recruit, Romeo Langford? How a 20-game league schedule can be a grind. How a certain style of play at Dayton may translate to his current team at Indiana. And other teams to watch for in the Big Ten other than the usual suspects. Plus, why the American Conference is on the rise.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to add this because I found it to be informative. 

Quote

 Q: It is well documented throughout college basketball that in order for anybody to win the heart of anybody in the Miller family they have to be a capable point guard if they play that position. Devonte Green was somebody who showed flashes last year.  What’s the biggest difference in him right now getting ready to start this season compared to the last game you guys played last year?

 
A: Devonte had his times last year where he showed remarkable court savvy, playmaking ability, shot making ability.  When he did that, we were a different team.  We had another guard out there that was contributing.  When we won three in a row, or four in a row, he was a big part of that.  When we had our struggles, though, we had no point guard play to be honest with you.  I think the one thing coming off the season with Devonte is he believes in our coaching staff.  He knows we trust him.  He knows we are going to make him better.  I think at times when you have one foot in or one toe in and you are really unsure about the people around you, you can play games with yourself.  I think he got away from that this spring.  When the season ended, he had as good of an offseason, in the weight room, shooting the ball..as any guy we had.  That’s continued through this Fall where he’s a much more mature guy in the locker room, much more mature guy in the weight room, much more mature person when we are doing things like conditioning or whether it be our individual practices or team workouts.  So, he’s sort of evolved into a guy who believes in what we are doing.  That’s always a great sign for a guy who has a chance to be a little bit more consistent.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Very good interview.  It's only about 15 minutes.  He gives very direct information.  Some of the things I can remember:

8.  After Romeo, he thinks the next newcomer with biggest possible impact is Evan Fitzner.  Archie pointed out that he has won a lot of games and has been a consistent 40% shooter from three.

10.  Phinisee "in time" will be a good B1G point guard and will have "windows" to help this year.

11.  Forrester brings an energy for defense.

12.  Justin Smith is stronger and has improved his athleticism and conditioning.  He is shooting out to three much better.  Justin is a very "smart" kid and has learned a lot from last year.

14.  Last year, when we had good point guard play (Green), we were good and ripped off 3-4 wins in a row.  When point guard play was non-existent, we were bad.

15.  Very revealing on Devonte Green.  I wish I had the exact quote, but something like as a point guard he has put everything behind him as of this spring.  Green knows the staff trusts him and likes him.  Basically, Archie was pointing out that Green was not all in last year, and unsure of his status, etc.  Supposedly, this is behind him.  Green has worked hard and improved.  Archie was pretty direct here.

These are the points that really stand out to me --

Fitzner could be a really big (no pun intended) player for us this season. He is going to have a lot of space to work with, he's a genuine knock-down 3-point threat, and he can put it on the floor and roll to the basket. He's mobile. I am really intrigued to see what he brings, and am feeling optimistic on him.

I think the comments on Phinisee are what we really should be expecting of an incoming frosh point guard, when we have Green. Phin may have been under-rated, but I didn't get why some thought he was a player who could challenge to start. The strength of our point guard play remains a question mark, but it's Green with help off the bench.

Forrester is a wild card, good to hear he's bringing energy on D, that will get him PT.

If Smith is getting extended range, consistently, watch out. Smith started to explode last season, expecting a really big season from him.

The comments on Green were really direct. Note that the long quote below ends on a point about consistency -- as to his play, that sums it up. He can be really good, but hasn't been consistent. Now we have a better understanding as to why. He could be really big this year as well. Hope so, that would make this team a much better team.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Echoing what has been said multiple times already, Green has to be consistent for us.  His inconsistency last season and the fact that RP is probably not ready for major minutes at the point are why I am not as bullish on this season as some.  I definitely think we will be better, but for us to be where a lot of us hope/expect/want us to be we need consistent play at the point. 

When Green was playing consistently last year, we had a nice stretch of games where we were a tough out.  We have to have that all season from him.  I remember in a game thread last year commenting that my greatest frustration when it came to Newkirk playing so much was that Green wasn't consistent enough to take his minutes.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

As Green goes, so goes this team.  He is every bit as talented as most, if not all, pgs in the country.  If he consistently plays to his skill level with a healthy dose of leadership, I think we win the Big Ten.

I'm hopeful but still have my doubts on Green.  As one poster so brilliantly said you can the Crean out from the sidelines but you can't take the Crean out of the player.  Green much like Newkirk had Tom Crean written all over him last season.  Let's hope that has changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm hopeful but still have my doubts on Green.  As one poster so brilliantly said you can the Crean out from the sidelines but you can't take the Crean out of the player.  Green much like Newkirk had Tom Crean written all over him last season.  Let's hope that has changed.

I am hopeful too. I have no clue how Green will perform, I just think he is the key to us being really, really good because we have a lot of talent and depth at all other levels.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

These are the points that really stand out to me --

Fitzner could be a really big (no pun intended) player for us this season. He is going to have a lot of space to work with, he's a genuine knock-down 3-point threat, and he can put it on the floor and roll to the basket. He's mobile. I am really intrigued to see what he brings, and am feeling optimistic on him.

I think the floor for Fitzner this season is a Max Bielfeldt type season. While I'll take that, I think he can play a much bigger role. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

As Green goes, so goes this team.  He is every bit as talented as most, if not all, pgs in the country.  If he consistently plays to his skill level with a healthy dose of leadership, I think we win the Big Ten.

I believe the first sentence but after that my glass of kool aid must not have been as strong.  

 

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think the floor for Fitzner this season is a Max Bielfeldt type season. While I'll take that, I think he can play a much bigger role. 

Floor meaning lowest level of impact equal to a B1G 6th man of the year?  

Y'all got anymore of these strong glasses of kool aide?

https://goo.gl/images/UjZmcF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm hopeful but still have my doubts on Green.  As one poster so brilliantly said you can the Crean out from the sidelines but you can't take the Crean out of the player.  Green much like Newkirk had Tom Crean written all over him last season.  Let's hope that has changed.

Before hearing this interview, I might’ve agreed with you. But Archie straight up said the staff trusts Green. Considering his frankness in that interview, along with every other one, I’m sure he wouldn’t have said it if it wasn’t really the case. 

If Archie thinks he can be the guy, then I’m very optimistic.

Edited by BENDOVER
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BENDOVER said:

Before hearing this interview, I might’ve agreed with you. But Archie straight up said the staff trusts Green. Considering his frankness in that interview, along with every other one, I’m sure he wouldn’t have said it if it wasn’t really the case. 

If Archie thinks he can be the guy, then I’m very optimistic.

Agree with this. Archie was very direct in complimenting Green on taking everything more serious and his growth in maturity. Archie isn't the type to throw compliments like that out there hoping that to be the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

I think the floor for Fitzner this season is a Max Bielfeldt type season. While I'll take that, I think he can play a much bigger role. 

I think this all but tells us that Fitz is going to have a major role on this team (likely a starting one). From what I'm hearing....seems the likely starting lineup would be Green, Romeo, Smith, Morgan, and Fitz. That is good to know and I think can compliment Morgan well because he can stretch the floor and allow Morgan to have room to operate around the rim. Forrester sounds like he can play that Mcswain role this year and since he isn't undersized should be a big help! Love what I am hearing....especially on Smith too. I only wish we were getting more news about Race. Even though he is a freshman he has spent a year in the system and developing...I really would like to know if he can be counted on to play valuable minutes at the 4 for us this year.

2 hours ago, IUaic said:

Agree with this. Archie was very direct in complimenting Green on taking everything more serious and his growth in maturity. Archie isn't the type to throw compliments like that out there hoping that to be the case.

Agreed. If Archie wasn't feeling impressed that Green was all in for this year...I'm pretty sure he would have  suggested showing Green the door. I don't like forcing a kid out just to recruit over him...but a kid that isn't committed to the team or fully engaged...that would be another thing. We can't afford to pass up on the guys we might miss on for a kid that isn't sure he believes in this new coaching staff. I'm glad he has bought full in and is looking to be a big contributor for this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Floor meaning lowest level of impact equal to a B1G 6th man of the year?  

Y'all got anymore of these strong glasses of kool aide?

https://goo.gl/images/UjZmcF

Like Max, Evan is an experienced big body that can shoot the 3. I think Evan will start a decent # of games, be an adequate defender and space the floor on offense. Max surprised with his 3pt shooting, we expect it from Evan. It's possible he's the basketball version of Brandon Dawkins, but I see bigger things ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Like Max, Evan is an experienced big body that can shoot the 3. I think Evan will start a decent # of games, be an adequate defender and space the floor on offense. Max surprised with his 3pt shooting, we expect it from Evan. It's possible he's the basketball version of Brandon Dawkins, but I see bigger things ahead.

Any word on how he's been at practice? This is the only place I get IU news, and I haven't seen much about him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Like Max, Evan is an experienced big body that can shoot the 3. I think Evan will start a decent # of games, be an adequate defender and space the floor on offense. Max surprised with his 3pt shooting, we expect it from Evan. It's possible he's the basketball version of Brandon Dawkins, but I see bigger things ahead.

I'm hopeful.  He fills a massive need.  Max had some advantages on him, physically he was an ox, he was coached by a fantastic coach in Michigan, veteran point guard distributor in yogi.  Again I am hopeful I just can't see his floor being Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year on a championship team at that. It's really almost unfair to put those expectations on him, kind of like when we did with Evan Gordon thinking he was going to come in here from Arizona State and tear things up, he tore it up alright. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...