The way too early Challenge talk thread.

milehiiu

6 hours ago, rico said:

To me it appears this "challenge" is just trying to match the blue bloods on a regular basis.  At least that is how I look at it.  UVA, Va Tech, and Clemson would have been worthy opponents for us this year.  

Just a difference of opinion. As far as this “challenge”goes, I’d rather IU be on the marquee, even if that means playing Duke, UNC, Louisville and Syracuse ever year. Playing Va Tech would probably be a good game, but to me this is about exposure and TV ratings, and I’d rather IU be in the prime time slots as opposed to OSU or Michigan. 

Here is my Buzz Williams story.

In January of 2010 my son Ayden was diagnosed with DNA Depletion Syndrome a form of Mito Disease and we were told he would not live to see his 3rd birthday. I was coaching high school basketball at Jennings County and a group of students started a prayer, support group for Ayden called Ayden's Army. Word got out to Kelly Combs who was head of the Kentucky High School Boys basketball Assoc. We have never met but he asked to become a member of Ayden's Army and asked permission to share with the members of his assoc. Within days we received many calls, text, emails letters of support from coaches and their families that we had never met.  The coaching fraternity like many others is amazing. 

I was in class one day and the Principal came to my room and told me to go to his office that I was expecting a phone call, and he would take over my class to stay as long as I needed. Having no idea what to expect i was shocked when I received a call from Head Coach at Marquette Mr Buzz Williams. 1 week before the beginning of the Big East tourney he is taking the time to call a nobody in little town Indiana to talk about his sick little boy. I was more than blown away. We talked for an hour and a half and never mentioned basketball or coaching. We talked life, family, GOD etc.. I was really overwhelmed that someone could truly care about people that they had never met. Coach said that the team wanted to become official members of Aydens Army and they wanted to purchase 40 T shirts and 40 bracelets in support of Ayden. We shipped them out and Coach had the entire team and staff take a photo in their Camo Aydens Army shirts. Talk about going way above and beyond for no particular reason but to help out a little boy and a father that was more than struggling. To know that my little boy was bringing attention to this terrible disease and his story was touching people made me so proud.

A few weeks later I went to the mailbox to find a card sent to Ayden from Coach Williams. We wrote some inspiration thoughts and wished us all well and said he was praying for Ayden. He also said that when Ayden becomes and Indiana All Star and Marquette recruits him he would deny that this card was ever sent. On his own dime Coach made a very sizable cash donation to Aydens Army. The way that our God works is the amount of the donation was $20 more than what we needed to get Ayden to Atlanta to begin some treatments with the #1 Mito Dr in the world. At that point we were not sure how we were going to accomplish it just that we were no matter what. One of the things that most don't know about this terrible disease that most  of the meds and treatments are not covered by traditional insurance. I will for ever be indebted to Coach Buzz Williams.  What a great man.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

In January of 2010 my son Ayden was diagnosed with DNA Depletion Syndrome a form of Mito Disease and we were told he would not live to see his 3rd birthday. I was coaching high school basketball at Jennings County and a group of students started a prayer, support group for Ayden called Ayden's Army. Word got out to Kelly Combs who was head of the Kentucky High School Boys basketball Assoc. We have never met but he asked to become a member of Ayden's Army and asked permission to share with the members of his assoc. Within days we received many calls, text, emails letters of support from coaches and their families that we had never met.  The coaching fraternity like many others is amazing. 

I was in class one day and the Principal came to my room and told me to go to his office that I was expecting a phone call, and he would take over my class to stay as long as I needed. Having no idea what to expect i was shocked when I received a call from Head Coach at Marquette Mr Buzz Williams. 1 week before the beginning of the Big East tourney he is taking the time to call a nobody in little town Indiana to talk about his sick little boy. I was more than blown away. We talked for an hour and a half and never mentioned basketball or coaching. We talked life, family, GOD etc.. I was really overwhelmed that someone could truly care about people that they had never met. Coach said that the team wanted to become official members of Aydens Army and they wanted to purchase 40 T shirts and 40 bracelets in support of Ayden. We shipped them out and Coach had the entire team and staff take a photo in their Camo Aydens Army shirts. Talk about going way above and beyond for no particular reason but to help out a little boy and a father that was more than struggling. To know that my little boy was bringing attention to this terrible disease and his story was touching people made me so proud.

A few weeks later I went to the mailbox to find a card sent to Ayden from Coach Williams. We wrote some inspiration thoughts and wished us all well and said he was praying for Ayden. He also said that when Ayden becomes and Indiana All Star and Marquette recruits him he would deny that this card was ever sent. On his own dime Coach made a very sizable cash donation to Aydens Army. The way that our God works is the amount of the donation was $20 more than what we needed to get Ayden to Atlanta to begin some treatments with the #1 Mito Dr in the world. At that point we were not sure how we were going to accomplish it just that we were no matter what. One of the things that most don't know about this terrible disease that most  of the meds and treatments are not covered by traditional insurance. I will for ever be indebted to Coach Buzz Williams.  What a great man.

Heart warming to say the least.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Buzz, evidently, knows how to put life in perspective.  Go Hokies!!!!

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I wish I could like this post as well as give a Thank You for it.

12 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Virginia Tech just moved way up in the rankings of teams I will root for.  

Archived