Cast Iron Skillets

rico

I have had the best luck using clarified butter. I make mine with unsalted butter cooked on low in a crock pot for 2-3 hours then scoop the junk off the top and filter with cheesecloth. I cook with it too. It has a high smoke point so wont burn easily.

Coat the skillet and in the oven at 225 with bottom facing up for 3 hours or so. Then let cool on the stove.  Wipe off excess. I use a paper towel.

Or fatty bacon cooked low and follow same oven procedure.

I dont recommend eating them when sober but a Big AZ cheeseburger from the gas station will put a nice sheen on the pan for a bit. An accidental discovery.

I also dont clean with hot soapy water. The heat will expand the pores in the metal and soap will strip the seasoning off.

• Like 2

I don't have any tips on seasoning them, but I do have a tip for cooking the best steak you'll ever have on them.

Crank the stove as hot as you can get it, dry the steak, and season it with a little vegetable oil and steak seasoning.  I like the finer ground seasonings for cooking this way because the courser ground Canadian seasonings can burn.  With a little oil smoking in the pan, pop the steak in.  Flip after a couple minutes.  When the temp is about 120, cut up some butter and toss it around the steak.  When the butter is starting to pop, lift the steak, swirl the butter and set the steak back in the sizzling butter.  Then tilt the skillet and spoon the butter over the steak for about 20-30 seconds.  If the steak has a strip of fat on it, pick up the steak and sit it on the strip of fat for about 30 seconds to really crisp that up too.  Unbelievable steak.  Way better than anything you can cook on a grill.

12 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't have any tips on seasoning them, but I do have a tip for cooking the best steak you'll ever have on them.

Crank the stove as hot as you can get it, dry the steak, and season it with a little vegetable oil and steak seasoning.  I like the finer ground seasonings for cooking this way because the courser ground Canadian seasonings can burn.  With a little oil smoking in the pan, pop the steak in.  Flip after a couple minutes.  When the temp is about 120, cut up some butter and toss it around the steak.  When the butter is starting to pop, lift the steak, swirl the butter and set the steak back in the sizzling butter.  Then tilt the skillet and spoon the butter over the steak for about 20-30 seconds.  If the steak has a strip of fat on it, pick up the steak and sit it on the strip of fat for about 30 seconds to really crisp that up too.  Unbelievable steak.  Way better than anything you can cook on a grill.

Leather. I have used Ramsey's method.  Mostly in the winter when the temps are cold outside.

I take the steak out of the fridge, and season it simply with salt and pepper, and let it come to room temperature before cooking.

I augment Ramsey's style with two sprigs of rosemary, and one to two jalapenos sliced into rings.  Place the rosemary on top of the steak, and baste with a combination of butter and the jalapenos.  

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Leather. I have used Ramsey's method.  Mostly in the winter when the temps are cold outside.

I take the steak out of the fridge, and season it simply with salt and pepper, and let it come to room temperature before cooking.

I augment Ramsey's style with two sprigs of rosemary, and one to two jalapenos sliced into rings.  Place the rosemary on top of the steak, and baste with a combination of butter and the jalapenos.  

Sounds delicious! I always want to throw some rosemary on, but I never have any on hand. Sometimes I'll use a little garlic with it too. Never thought about the jalapenos. Might have to give that a shot!

• 4 years later...