2018 Midterm Elections

Brass Cannon

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol still celebrating losing by 2 million votes?

1 out of 50 polls were wrong outside the margin of error IIRC in 2016. Yep obviously polling is complete guesswork 

Subtract the votes from New York and California for both parties and Trump wins the popular vote. 2 states popular vote should not be able to swing an election.  Thats why the EC exists. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Subtract the votes from New York and California for both parties and Trump wins the popular vote. 2 states popular vote should not be able to swing an election.  Thats why the EC exists. 

Lol 😂 so we just subtract a bunch of the people that voted against Trump. He would have won the popular vote.

Trump won Texas by 800,000 that would have been enough to swing a lot of elections  guess we should subtract those as well  guess we should have subtracted Texas from Bush both times too  it’s only fair!

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Exactly, I don't want places like Chicago, New York and L.A. determining who my POTUS will be.....

You’d rather Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania choose it for you?  Indiana hasn’t had any effect on a president in my lifetime   Every person in Indiana could have written in Elmo for the last 30 years and nothing is changed. 

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol 😂 so we just subtract a bunch of the people that voted against Trump. He would have won the popular vote.

Trump won Texas by 800,000 that would have been enough to swing a lot of elections  guess we should subtract those as well  guess we should have subtracted Texas from Bush both times too  it’s only fair!

You’d rather Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania choose it for you?  Indiana hasn’t had any effect on a president in my lifetime   Every person in Indiana could have written in Elmo for the last 30 years and nothing is changed. 

I was highlighting why the electoral college exists. Which dems want to get rid of. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was highlighting why the electoral college exists. Which dems want to get rid of. 

Lol people not just dems want to get rid of it because 2 of the last 5 elections have been against the popular vote. 

The only reason republicans want it is because they are the party that benefits from it. 

But hey just keep enjoying your vote not mattering. 

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Fair points.

As a conservative moderate.  I am a little more liberal on this one.  This is a microcosm of the disconnect between the two political sides.  It gives rural areas more clout, voting power, and the fact of 1 vote counting for more than 1 urban area's vote.  That used to be the case before the civil war with votes being unequal.  Getting rid of the electoral college isn't the answer, but something must change.

This will likely spark the topic of the dead voting for democrats in recent elections.

States are quietly working to circumvent the electoral college. Probably within 30 years it will be a non factor. About 160 electoral votes of states have agreed to give their votes to the popular vote winner. 

It won’t kick in till 270 votes worth sign on. It’s slowly going to gain steam. 

Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina and Pennsylvania are working on getting it passed. Some will surely fail but eventually. 

48 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Nice straw man. We are talking about what YOU just said HERE. Your own words. 

Straw man? Are you happy with the electoral college results?

All I was trying to say was the electoral college exists to protect the majority of STATES from a minority of STATES.

America is NOT a democracy but intead, a representative republic for a very good reason. Thats because a democracy is mob rule and a system that quickly fails.

The federal goverments main role is to protect and represent the states, not individuals. States protect individuals. America is to big to rely on the feds to fix everything.

Ultimately peoples differences are just a difference in philosophy. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Straw man? Are you happy with the electoral college results?

All I was trying to say was the electoral college exists to protect the majority of STATES from a minority of STATES.

America is NOT a democracy but intead, a representative republic for a very good reason. Thats because a democracy is mob rule and a system that quickly fails.

The federal goverments main role is to protect and represent the states, not individuals. States protect individuals. America is to big to rely on the feds to fix everything.

Ultimately peoples differences are just a difference in philosophy. 

So once again how does 5 states controlling who wins the presidency represent the majority?  It’s a nice sounding argument but it doesn’t actually appear to be happening in reality. 

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So once again how does 5 states controlling who wins the presidency represent the majority?  It’s a nice sounding argument but it doesn’t actually appear to be happening in reality. 

Here is a smaller example and one I am familiar with because my wife and her family are from Illinois.

Chicago politics controls Illinois.  Do you think city dwellers understand or have the best interests of their fellow illini in mind?  What the hell do chicagoans know about farming for example?  The heartland feeds America but people want to dismiss half their country as deplorable.  The half that feeds them.  

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Here is a smaller example and one I am familiar with because my wife and her family are from Illinois.

Chicago politics controls Illinois.  Do you think city dwellers understand or have the best interests of their fellow illini in mind?  What the hell do chicagoans know about farming for example?  The heartland feeds America but people want to dismiss half their country as deplorable.  The half that feeds them.  

So because a city controls Illinois we should let 5 states control the country?

Archived