Michigan State Pregame Thread

When: Saturday 9/22 at 7:30pm ET on BTN

S&P+: 53% chance of IU victory

ESPN: 21% chance of IU victory

Vegas: MSU -4.5

Michigan State is 1-1 with a squeaked out 38-31 win over Utah State and a 16-13 loss at Arizona St.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

image.png.655952ef94417c5ffff6c610729b099b.png

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2018/team/

In Sagarin, IU is #55 and Michigan State is #22

This is the most winnable game of the B1G East Big Four on our schedule, but also our toughest test of the early season. Should be a good one under the lights.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.5 pts line gives MSU an implied win probability of 63.14%.  I think it's partially inflated because they have been very good the past decade and have a number next their team name.

I think we have a very good chance in this one.  Sparty is talented but been unimpressive so far.

It's almost a must win for PR purposes IMO.  Win and Allen keeps the train a rolling and the fan base keeps following.  Lose and the Romeo show starts next week and the fan base packs it in. 

It's not fair to the players or coaches but it's just the reality given how terrible the football program has been the past 50 years.  No one is expecting miracles but until they can put a few 7-8 win seasons together in a row it will likely remain that way.  I'm honestly feeling optimistic about Saturday though.

In the stands on Saturday all I kept thinking was all these short passes and screens are going to get eaten up by the big ten defenses the team will face.  My hope is that the team is still holding some plays back for Big Ten play.  I think Ramsey is going to have to do more to get quality BIG wins.  I was skeptical of him at first and still question his long ball but overall I think he has been solid.  I am really interested to see how IU calls the game and what the MSU D will look like.  This game can really set the tone for the team this season.  MSU is definitely beatable.

I haven't seen anyone talking about MSU's 2 weeks of rest/prep being a factor in this game. How big of a factor do you all think that will be?

I think we have the motivation factor on our side, we have a lot more to gain than MSU has to lose. And I like where we stand in terms of skill and coaching. The only thing that worries me is that rest and prep factor they have on us.

7 hours ago, BENDOVER said:

I haven't seen anyone talking about MSU's 2 weeks of rest/prep being a factor in this game. How big of a factor do you all think that will be?

I think we have the motivation factor on our side, we have a lot more to gain than MSU has to lose. And I like where we stand in terms of skill and coaching. The only thing that worries me is that rest and prep factor they have on us.

To be honest, I had forgot about Sparty not playing last week.  Unsure about what kind of factor it is going to play in the game.

Archived