Michigan State Pregame Thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Behind Enemy Lines:  See what the MSU media is saying about Saturday night, including injuries, how IU can attack the Spartans, Dantonio's thoughts on IU, and their final score predictions.

The first sentence in the article annoys me.

"Big Ten football is here, and Indiana will kick things off on Saturday night with a prime time marquee match-up against one of the conference elites, Michigan State."

They've been very good, but for a writer to call themselves elite is super lame.  I hope we take that "elite" and shove it.

59 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The first sentence in the article annoys me.

"Big Ten football is here, and Indiana will kick things off on Saturday night with a prime time marquee match-up against one of the conference elites, Michigan State."

They've been very good, but for a writer to call themselves elite is super lame.  I hope we take that "elite" and shove it.

You misread that.  That was me calling them elite.  The MSU media stuff follows those introductory paragraphs.  I do consider them a Big Ten football elite, but wouldn't argue that point too hard.  They are clearly not on the same level historically as Michigan or OSU.

6 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You misread that.  That was me calling them elite.  The MSU media stuff follows those introductory paragraphs.  I do consider them a Big Ten football elite, but wouldn't argue that point too hard.  They are clearly not on the same level historically as Michigan or OSU.

Ohhhh, I got ya.  I just skimmed it quick on my lunch and thought it was their own writer saying it.  I'm fine with another writer saying it that isn't an MSU guy.  Thanks for the clarification.

I think all three predictions being such a close game shows that MSU fans might be a little worried about this game.  From reading your article, it sounds like the keys to the game will be the run game and Ramsey's passing.  If we can effectively run against their stout run defense, and if we can hold their run game in check when they have the ball.  I think the biggest thing will be if Ramsey can throw it down field a little bit.  Otherwise they can stack the line of scrimmage and have the corners and safeties play close to help against the run.  A few shots over the top could be huge in this one.

Here's my little small opinion. Love the Hoosiers. Until we win these games consistently ( I'm only asking for 1 win per year) why would the public give us any kudos. We aren't a program that wins these games. Until we do it each season....no one will change their mind. With that said....going 3-0 in non-conference is a big win for this program. I don't want anyone to get down if we lose. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's my little small opinion. Love the Hoosiers. Until we win these games consistently ( I'm only asking for 1 win per year) why would the public give us any kudos. We aren't a program that wins these games. Until we do it each season....no one will change their mind. With that said....going 3-0 in non-conference is a big win for this program. I don't want anyone to get down if we lose. 

I agree. There are always plenty of chances to get a big win and the last few years they've had some really close calls. It has to get to where one of them is a win every year. 

18 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There used to be an MSU fan who would come to the old site and talk football. Wonder what his take is on this year's game 

Yes, it was Spartans4Ever. There were some fun talks and preseason picks going on . That was 2014, 2015-ish. That was when the central debate between many IU fans going into those subsequent seasons was whether or not Indiana was ready to compete with the top teams consistently,  and Michigan State was in it's latest peak before their losing season. If  I recall correctly, he kind of disappeared after they went 3-9 and before the site changed.   There was also another MSU fan who shared his weekly game and it broke down teams by position and gave points to participants from the B1G pages, etc  on 24/7 and including HSN 2.0.   SpartanRocky or Rocky something like that . I also wondered what Spartan4Ever thought a few times going into the last couple years.

2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Yes, it was Spartans4Ever. There were some fun talks and preseason picks going on . That was 2014, 2015-ish. That was when the central debate between many IU fans going into those subsequent seasons was whether or not Indiana was ready to compete with the top teams consistently,  and Michigan State was in it's latest peak before their losing season. If  I recall correctly, he kind of disappeared after they went 3-9 and before the site changed.   There was also another MSU fan who shared his weekly game and it broke down teams by position and gave points to participants from the B1G pages, etc  on 24/7 and including HSN 2.0.   SpartanRocky or Rocky something like that . I also wondered what Spartan4Ever thought a few times going into the last couple years.

I recall Spartan4Ever.  As a moderator, I often  had to ask him to tone it down on our board.  And as a result, he and I maintained a running conversation for quite some time.  Though he liked to stir it up on our board, he actually was a pretty nice guy. Over time, he toned it down quite a bit, and turned into a decent poster.  And I would like to think it was because of the conversations he and I were having.   If memory serves correctly, he was teaching college at that time, but had some serious health problems.I think it was his back.   It's amazing what one can learn about others, if one just reaches out to them.  TIR being an exception..... LOL. 

Also remember the other Spartan fan.  Not a flamer at all.  Just brought good information. 

And thanks jb.... for being a loyal fan through many of our iterations. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I recall Spartan4Ever.  As a moderator, I often  had to ask him to tone it down on our board.  And as a result, he and I maintained a running conversation for quite some time.  Though he liked to stir it up on our board, he actually was a pretty nice guy. Over time, he toned it down quite a bit, and turned into a decent poster.  And I would like to think it was because of the conversations he and I were having.   If memory serves correctly, he was teaching college at that time, but had some serious health problems.I think it was his back.   It's amazing what one can learn about others, if one just reaches out to them.  TIR being an exception..... LOL. 

Also remember the other Spartan fan.  Not a flamer at all.  Just brought good information. 

And thanks jb.... for being a loyal fan through many of our iterations. 

Can't speak on the things I was unaware of , but in general from my own interaction with Spartan4Ever , I agree. He was a solid member especially being from an outside fanbase.

I definitely did not know the rest. That's cool he has taught, and it's outright funny you actually had to have a word with him before too. HAHA!! For all I ever knew of him, he was always the Sparty that fit the latter description I'm much more familiar with so I must have missed some of that. Happens. Some folks prove worth taking the time and giving the clean slate for so kudos for seeing the good in people. You're a fair man,  and like you said. You learn more when you reach out. 

I hope he's doing okay though. 

16 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Can't speak on the things I was unaware of , but in general from my own interaction with Spartan4Ever , I agree. He was a solid member especially being from an outside fanbase.

I definitely did not know the rest. That's cool he has taught, and it's outright funny you actually had to have a word with him before too. HAHA!! For all I ever knew of him, he was always the Sparty that fit the latter description I'm much more familiar with so I must have missed some of that. Happens. Some folks prove worth taking the time and giving the clean slate for so kudos for seeing the good in people. You're a fair man,  and like you said. You learn more when you reach out. 

I hope he's doing okay though. 

I haven't heard from him for quite some time now.  Again, my interaction with him first started when I pm'd him to tone it down on our old board.  Some guys from other boards become nasty when that happens.  But not him.  He was very nice about it.... and that's how we continued.  I got a lot of good inside info about MSU's BB program from him as a result of my interaction with him 

Archived